IGNORED

Is the 8 bit uninspiring?

emkay

oh... I would need a device where I can check my demos on c64... but as far as I heard those devices do not emulate "trackloaders" good enough for demos?

The SD2IEC doesn't emulate the 1541's drive electronics so anything that pushes custom code to the drive (like the majority of faster IRQ loaders do) will fall over. For what you want a 1541U2 is probably the best bet and it also has a 16Mb of RAM expansion for the handful of demos which support one, but for everyday gaming use like most people use 8-bits for the SD2IEC will do the job without much issue.

Also, got to go because i'm sure i can smell burning! [Runs off again]

Using the ST as a floppy emulator, loading the image of the game to the 8-Bit ... In 1988 (not bad for someone who was in no way related to professional software development ;) )....

Yeah, especially when you take into account that in 1987 the SIO communication and floppy emulation via ST was covered in Germany in the "Happy Computer 2. AtariXL/XE Sonderheft" (Magazine) http://www.kultboy.com/magazin/2754/

So the Atari 8-bits , inspired (at least) me to do something really exceptional... ;)

Here is your reward:

• Like 2

How so? Contradicting a bullshit artist and salesman is a bad day? Because I called you out on your shit, Atgames salesman??

Yes it fucking does do that. It doesn't require acknowledgement from you, to do so. Fucking Duh.

Of course. The C64 is quite a capable machine. I have come to really like it, with the 1541 Ultimate 2, and I have 2 of em'!!!

Of course it does, your self-appointed authority on the subject....I mean peddeler of Atgames Cheap Shit Junk emulation products. Yes, I think I got that one right, don't you. Please approve by continuing to advocate for Atgames Cheap Shit Junk Products. I surmise that you will, and you will PROVE ME C0RRECT BY CONTINUING. Am I wrong? LOL! HAH! :)

It's quite accurate - the observation of what forum we are on - as this is ATARIAGE and I advocate Atari, bozo. Fucking DUH, once again. The only thing I crave is for "Super Salesman" like you to go away, and go someplace else,to peddle your Cheap Chinese Shit, you huckster!!! The only "CHEERLEADING" going on here is you trying to peddle cheap Chinese bulllshit as actual Atari shit, Huckster.

I feel sorry for you in that it requires you to have more than one job. I've been there, as I have worked 2 jobs myself, in the distant past, when I was more needy than I am now. It's all better, in case you wanted to know. I wonder what wild hair grew up your ass that misguided you to think that I possibly care about how many jobs you have. Please explain! Because you suck at the Atgames advocacy job. Please enlighten me as to what else you suck as, for a profession.

Your wondering about that is perhaps the best pontification that you've ever done. Of course it's not, because of the fat-headed assumption that anybody really gives a fuck what you do (other than advocate Cheap Shit Junk Atgames products, constantly and without request). But since you're obviously wanting to blow off about it (like you normally do), go ahead an enlighten us mortals. What the fuck do you do?

NO. Correction. While you're plugging your own "work." Obviously, some cheap shit junk promotion.

Only if it's free. The Atari 2600 has made its own history, and there are already many books (and fee reads) out there. Best of luck, however!

post-61233-0-77711800-1506082557.gif

Wow, what an embarrassing spiel to wake up to. Is this AtariAge or 4chan? Keep in mind, this meltdown was over video games. 30-year-old video games.

You seem to be terribly envious of Bill's position in life. Psychotherapy might be of some assistance.

Psychotherapy might be of some assistance.

As you probably have seen, there was already a moderator/administrator who took care of what happened. The guy apologized to all for what happened. I don't see any benefit of you rubbing anymore salt in the wound.

• Like 5

Wow, what an embarrassing spiel to wake up to. Is this AtariAge or 4chan? Keep in mind, this meltdown was over video games. 30-year-old video games.

You seem to be terribly envious of Bill's position in life. Psychotherapy might be of some assistance.

I could be mistaken, but I think he went off to school for a while, and when he returned he was cynical and sour.

The SD2IEC doesn't emulate the 1541's drive electronics so anything that pushes custom code to the drive (like the majority of faster IRQ loaders do) will fall over. For what you want a 1541U2 is probably the best bet and it also has a 16Mb of RAM expansion for the handful of demos which support one, but for everyday gaming use like most people use 8-bits for the SD2IEC will do the job without much issue.

Also, got to go because i'm sure i can smell burning! [Runs off again]

yeah but 150 EUR is quite a lot for only showing to orgas "runs on real HW". ;)

any suggestion... I connected my 1541 via XE1541u kind of cable to printer port of my old old old Win98 (!!!) Toshiba Notebook.... any idea to connect that via USB?

Jesus christ... ;) "Back in those days, the function of SIO wasn't that clear, except to me, as it seems."

Yes... I am not worthy... I am not worthy...

Missing the point is the biggest capability here ;) but it's not just you , as the thread shows.

It's about that the Atari cannot be judged on the connected HW, as every other hardware could serve the data.

Yeah, especially when you take into account that in 1987 the SIO communication and floppy emulation via ST was covered in Germany in the "Happy Computer 2. AtariXL/XE Sonderheft" (Magazine) http://www.kultboy.com/magazin/2754/

The HW had been build on that Interface, but the Image handling in my game was written by myself, as it had to switch to communications after finishing loading the game to the XL.

But, if our McWisdom could show some other game that used the "Atari" Interface.... Thy may feel free to show .... ;)

Here is your reward:

I wonder what's more strange, your kind of humour or your posted video...

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

MMmmmmm Atari...Yummm....mmmmMMMM C64...Yumm

Emulators in general....Yummmm

Its all good for me...

Two really nice machines that do things very nicely indeed....No fanboyism needed

Really, I tried it back then. I owned a C128 for 2 weeks, but I didn't see anything "impressive" . Hmm... Test Drive was at least some new experience, the Atari hadn't to offer... But it ran slooooooooowwwwww.....chrchhhrrrr.... :sleep:

Some games are not meant to happen on certain platforms. The software houses only do a disservice when they make a game that's dog slow and should be written for a higher performing computer.

A 1-FPS flight simulator is gonna suck.

Gyruss on the Apple II is gonna suck.

..and on and on..

It is important to match the software with the hardware.

• Like 3

The C64 had some nice shooters and nice platformers, I would not say all were amazing but its variety and that counts in my book, I don't care 100% about graphics, as long as it plays well and looks ok I'll give it a look..

Just look at the N64, its got that anti aliased smudgy look most of the time but I defy anyone not to like Super Mario 64 and Zelda, they just play superbly..(smudged textures and all)

Edited by Mclaneinc

yeah but 150 EUR is quite a lot for only showing to orgas "runs on real HW". ;)

Get an SD2IEC and copy disk images to your 1541 maybe...? The device works well enough for some disk-to-disk copy programs to function.

Just look at the N64, its got that anti aliased smudgy look most of the time but I defy anyone not to like Super Mario 64 and Zelda, they just play superbly..(smudged textures and all)

The term you're fumbling for is "bilinear filtering". Antialiasing only affects polygon edges.

• Like 1

I remembered looking at a C64 vertical shooter - and how impressive the independent sprites were - and this was not a big-name title - nor did it receive much acclaim. Wasn't Galaga missing on the C-64? But it did get Galaga 3 - which was a pretty decent conversion thereof - but it's still a very hard game, as per the coin-op... Xevious for the C-64 could have been really good/great - but was so horrible a looking conversion - that it looked unimpressive - the developer chose a closer view than other conversions.

The point being the C-64 has had it's fair share of hits and misses - as other systems.

It did not have a Wayout? Nor Capture the Flag?

While the Apple II hardware wasn't all that much... didn't A.E come from the Apple II? I didn't get around to checking out what the Apple II games were like? Nor how they compared against Atari 8-bit games.

There were some wonderful games that appeared out of nowhere for the Atari 400/800 etc and the talent they showed was very remarkable -

For me - these were - Miner 2049'er, Necromancer, Blue Max, Encounter and others - for some - these were their first (or 2nd?) game (that they worked on?) - and other games which showed a high degree of quality in their execution.

But once the C-64 appeared on the scene - or cornered the market - there were far fewer titles that stood out - on the Atari 8-bit - around the time of Dropzone and shortly afterwards? In which support for the Atari 8-bit computers appeared to have dried up..(I was involved in a 3 year homebrew project - that finally made it toward it's completion.)

Other hardware that stood out to me - were the SNES - N64 and PlayStation. Though the Sega Saturn did excel in the coin-op shooter conversions

The 16-bit computers failed to ignite me with their coin-op conversions (typically shooter games (of the spacey kind)) though seemed perfectly fine for the 3D simulations and strategy type games...... The 16-bit consoles delivering the quality missing from the computers in their various action/arcade games...

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove
  • Like 2

Hi Harvey, yes AE and games like Bandits came from the Apple along with many others which were nice ports, nothing special but playable....

And yes, the Snes blew me away, I had an Amiga and I saw Super Mario, I got a look at an import one from a dev and I said "oh my Amiga could do that" to which he said "No it can't" and he was indeed 100% right, Mario just super impressed me as did Zelda and Metroid. Utterly brilliant games and superb hardware..

I could wax lyrical about the snes for hours but its fair to say it was great, I also loved the Dreamcast, really under appreciated machine and when you see Sturmwind on it you just melt, its an arcade quality shooter..

But I've always said that variety is the way to go, I truly love my 8 bit Atari but I serial cheat on her with loads of machines that have wonderful games as well. The C64 was one of them, it was my progression after the 8 bit Atari slipped in to a no release mire but its still one on my 'must go back and play' machines.

Edited by Mclaneinc