IGNORED

Dinosaur!

atari2600land

"This stupid time machine won't work!" Dan said as he entered the professor's time machine.

"Sure it will," answered Professor Falck. "And to kill stuff, you'd better take this." He handed Dan a rifle. It turned out to be quite handy.

The professor punched a few buttons and poof. Dan opened the time machine's doors and saw a dinosaur.

So anyway, I thought a game where you go around shooting dinosaurs would be fun. I was quite bored, so I decided to draw a dinosaur using the Atari 2600. So I decided to build a game around it. But first I have to finish the title screen by making a title screen song. Or have one made for me, if you would like to.

All this does is display a dinosaur on the screen with the word "dinosaur" on the screen. You can change the colors to black and white in the game if you want to. I decided to do this in Batari Basic since it has been a while and I figured this would be at least 8k.

dinosaur1.bas

dinosaur1.bin

• Like 2

Had to make a minor adjustment to how the guy looks. He now looks like this:

post-9475-0-33794600-1506105737.png

And I could also make the dinosaur any color, but to avoid having mostly shades of green on the screen, I made this certain one orange.

By the way, this isn't going to be just one screen where you shoot and avoid dinosaurs, I am going to make this an Adventure-like game (or Pitfall), where there are multiple screens to go through. But I'm doing it one step at a time.

dinosaur4a.bin

• Like 1

Had to make a minor adjustment to how the guy looks. He now looks like this:

attachicon.gifdinosaur4a.png

And I could also make the dinosaur any color, but to avoid having mostly shades of green on the screen, I made this certain one orange.

By the way, this isn't going to be just one screen where you shoot and avoid dinosaurs, I am going to make this an Adventure-like game (or Pitfall), where there are multiple screens to go through. But I'm doing it one step at a time.

looks good so far - will try it out on the AFP later tonight....

What's an AFP?

The Atari Flashback Portable.

I think a fun Adventure-style game could be fun with this theme. Maybe the time machine got torn up from the time trip, and you have to find and assemble the pieces to get home again?

P.S. I would avoid using green for the guy if you are using green for the background, too.

What's an AFP?

like kdgarris said above "Atari Flashback Portable"............ it does work on the portable, but there is a flaw in the middle of the screen where the player is cut into two.

BTW, I have alot of your previous homebrews included in the upcoming updated AFP ROM pack that I've been working on since July. It will be posted here (soon): http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-faq-and-compatibility-list/

I was having a bit of a problem with having player4. When it switched to the trees screen, player 4 left the screen for one frame and came back the next, making the treetop of the lower trees looking like it flashed. And while a black background may look better, it doesn't represent grass real well. I take it the greens didn't look very good per RT's comment, so I changed it. How does this look? How would a blue guy look?

dinosaur6.bin

post-9475-0-55846700-1506189682.png

I like the brown. Blue is so-so. Ultimately this is a very minor point. I say just pick a color and go with it. Not worth hanging up the whole process over.

RT just wants to make sure the game features lots of flashing. maybe the player sprite could flash?

Edited by StanJr

Made a river. I also added a rule: If there's a dinosaur on the screen, you must shoot it before you can continue on to the next screen. This I feel makes the game a little harder. The screens end at screen 4, so shooting the dinosaur that pops up then won't get you anywhere except the ability to move left.

dinosaur7.bin