IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

I *think* I've tracked down all the weirdness now.

Famous last words. :D

I understand the wariness about preserving the initial state of the hardware. The Skunkboard doesn't use this strategy, but on the other hand, it touches the hardware a lot less than your menu system does, since it just shows a single color screen.

There are no pre-order lists or anything like that, and I will ask for posts relating to this to be removed as it's just way too early. However if anyone wants to ask any questions, or if I have any progress updates, this thread is a good place for them.

Same still stands from the first post, no pre-orders yet. I don't see any point until it's pretty much ready to go as I know there is a demand and I'll be producing them regardless... :)

• Like 6

On 10/2/2017 at 6:17 PM, UHATEIT said:

I'm liking that cart design if you just slide the SD card into the top. Looks pretty awesome! Good to hear you are close as well!

Yep, the memory card is in the top and the USB right top. If you get me. :)

The memory card socket will be a push-push type socket, so once inserted it will be flush with the case. I'm switching from the cheaper sockets I have in this board revision for nicer stuff in the next. I'm also switching to micro usb from mini as well, with through hole retaining lugs for added mechanical durability!

Edited by SainT
  • Like 5

Yep, the SD card is in the top right and the USB right top. If you get me. :)

The SD card socket will be a push-push type socket, so once inserted it will be flush with the case. I'm switching from the cheaper sockets I have in this board revision for nicer stuff in the next. I'm also switching to micro usb from mini as well, with through hole retaining lugs for added mechanical durability!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if it's an SD cart I get the slot for that but what will the USB slot be for then? Loading from a usb flash drive vs the SD?

Edited by UHATEIT

I was hesitant to even ask since I knew you of all people would make a comment like that. Sorry for my ignorance yet again Madman

Mostly for debugging purposes really, so people can write homebrew and test on real hardware etc... Although it can provide features of the host PC on the Jaguar, like internet connection or whatever. So it's multi-purpose.

• Like 1

Mostly for debugging purposes really, so people can write homebrew and test on real hardware etc... Although it can provide features of the host PC on the Jaguar, like internet connection or whatever. So it's multi-purpose.

I figured it was for that, for those who want to do developing at the same time. Man those skunkboards are going to go out the window when this comes out!

• Like 1

Mind another dumb question? (of course everyone minds but here it goes...) I don't see any Jaguar rom downloads on the AA rarity guide. Without going to some unscrupulous web site and potentially downloading viruses, how would we go about getting roms for the SD cart, or is the SD cart strictly made for developers?

Hiya SainT and thread subscribers. I am curious about what your thoughts/plans are with how your SD cartridge will function plugged into a Jaguar CD unit (or without one).

I know it was addressed awhile back that you are planning on making it function as if it were an Atari MemoryCart for CD games (which is an amazing feature, of course, and one I'd appreciate). But then I wondered a bit more and seems to me that there are a lot of interesting ways you could have it interact with the JagCD (or act AS a JagCD itself). I know it's opening a can of worms in some ways with possibilities and pipe-dreams, but all the can-do surprising development you are doing seems to beg the question.

Since you stated a goal was to allow your cart to run ISOs of the SD card as if they were CDs, I suppose that means that your cart would be taking on the task of being a virtual JagCD unit. Would that make an actual JagCD unit redundant in that case, or do you plan on your cart being capable of also utilizing it in some way?

Would your cart have all the BIOS of an actual JagCD on-board? And if so, would you be able to see the VLM-enhanced splash screen when powering up the Jaguar rather then the cat-in-a-cube? :)

Also wondering if you've considered the possibility of playing some format of music files from your SD cart into the VLM.

Just wondering what your thoughts are as to how your cart and the JagCD (both the hardware and platform) will be reconciled together into something awesome. If there's some open-endedness or different possible paths you are considering there, maybe this opens the door for the community to chime in. Let us all know if so :)

Much respect!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2017 at 11:00 AM, neo_rg said:

Judging by current SD cart transfer speeds (4MB 19 seconds) v Atari jaguar CD transfer speed (approx 5.7MB 19 seconds) the SD cart will need some tweaking to get to the theoretical max CD read speed. Get to work Saint!! /whipcrack

I've sorted that already, I found a race condition in the microcontroller code which was why it wasn't behaving as I had expected. I'm getting 13s now which is around 300k/s, the bottleneck is now on the microcontroller. I'm not sure yet whether this is down to the speed on the memory card I was using or just needs more work yet -- I found I had issues with different memory card, which I think is down to the length of the traces running to the memory card socket as I've not had this issue before. I'm tweaking the PCB at the moment, so am adding some inline resistors to source terminate the memory card lines, hopefully that will sort the memory card issues out.

Theoretical max speed of the data transfer is about 750k/s with DMA'ing from the memory card into memory then back out to the Jaguar I believe. I'm not sure if I can actually DMA directly from one SPI channel to another on the micro.... it might possibly work, which would be nice.

But anyway, all in hand... ;)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 7

On 10/3/2017 at 6:45 AM, CaptainBreakout said:

Hiya SainT and thread subscribers. I am curious about what your thoughts/plans are with how your SD cartridge will function plugged into a Jaguar CD unit (or without one).

I know it was addressed awhile back that you are planning on making it function as if it were an Atari MemoryCart for CD games (which is an amazing feature, of course, and one I'd appreciate). But then I wondered a bit more and seems to me that there are a lot of interesting ways you could have it interact with the JagCD (or act AS a JagCD itself). I know it's opening a can of worms in some ways with possibilities and pipe-dreams, but all the can-do surprising development you are doing seems to beg the question.

Since you stated a goal was to allow your cart to run ISOs of the SD card as if they were CDs, I suppose that means that your cart would be taking on the task of being a virtual JagCD unit. Would that make an actual JagCD unit redundant in that case, or do you plan on your cart being capable of also utilizing it in some way?

Would your cart have all the BIOS of an actual JagCD on-board? And if so, would you be able to see the VLM-enhanced splash screen when powering up the Jaguar rather then the cat-in-a-cube? :)

Also wondering if you've considered the possibility of playing some format of music files from your SD cart into the VLM.

Just wondering what your thoughts are as to how your cart and the JagCD (both the hardware and platform) will be reconciled together into something awesome. If there's some open-endedness or different possible paths you are considering there, maybe this opens the door for the community to chime in. Let us all know if so :)

Much respect!

I dont expect it to be plugged into a Jag CD really, but if you did you could use it as a memory track, assuming I get that working, or just cart.

The whole point of the CD side of things with the cart is to BE a JagCD without the issues of it being temperamental and super-expensive and being able to have all your CD's on one memory card. It would include the JagCD bios (modified for the JagSD), so VLM and so on should work.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 5

I'm not very tech savvy at times, I'd believed the cart slot on the JagCD was not any different than using the console's normal cart slot. There wouldn't be any issues using the SD cart through the JagCD would there? I've only got the one Jaguar for now, and I'd prefer just leaving the CD attached.

No, there's no issue -- there's just no point, really.

With the cart in the JagCD, you wont be able to use CD emulation on the cart.

• Like 2