IGNORED

Digital Press gone?

This is making me very sad. Too many good websites have gone offline of late.

DMOZ closed at the beginning of the year. ScrubTheWeb shut down their search engine and became a directory. Atari HQ isn't working. Even the Internet Archive isn't perfect; I used to enjoy using archived versions of InfoSeek's directory to look up old websites, but earlier this year Disney changed a robots.txt file and somehow forced the archived version offline. :_(

It's odd that the domain's not parked; usually web hosts create a generic page noting that they haven't been paid in awhile when webmasters forget to pay their bills. :?

Edited by pacman000

It has been on life support and a virtual ghost town for ages. Sad as it was once THE PLACE (besides here of course ;) ) For all things Classic Gaming related. But honestly it has been a shadow of it's former self for years and very recently there have been some posts by head moderators / admins suggesting that it may indeed just pass on into oblivion. My visiting of late has been more out of some misplaced sense of loyalty than anything but it seems like many such sites those who run it are moving on to better things or simply have lost the motivation to continue. :P

• Like 1

DP was a very personal place to me for many many years (I went by the name "zektor" there) but over time it just became overrun and hard to communicate with the people I once did. Even my PM's to Joe went unanswered over time....and that never happened before as we had a good talking and trading relationship. Even when I visit his store on occasion (I am only about 2 miles from it) I never see him there anymore. Just a bunch of snotnose kids who want to push me out if they have 15 minutes until closing. It's sad. I felt the same way about Retrogames...and about Daves Video Game Classics before that.

But, I knew it was coming. I stopped visiting that site regularly a few years ago. Good memories for sure though.

• Like 4

I haven't been to the forum there in awhile, but I did use the online rarity guide for my podcast, even if it was out of date. It had good info sometimes. The rarity guide was also on the NVMUSA site, but I can't find it now. I think some of it had been updated since the last guide was published, but at least I have that to fall back on.

There was a website for Joes Digital Press store that had a forum on it. I used to work at the store and we would post discussions there, but I have not checked it out for years. I will see if I can remember the web address.

Edit: The website for the store is dpvideogames.com but it looks like the forum there is gone.

Edited by killersquirel

DP was a very personal place to me for many many years (I went by the name "zektor" there) but over time it just became overrun and hard to communicate with the people I once did. Even my PM's to Joe went unanswered over time....and that never happened before as we had a good talking and trading relationship. Even when I visit his store on occasion (I am only about 2 miles from it) I never see him there anymore. Just a bunch of snotnose kids who want to push me out if they have 15 minutes until closing. It's sad. I felt the same way about Retrogames...and about Daves Video Game Classics before that.

But, I knew it was coming. I stopped visiting that site regularly a few years ago. Good memories for sure though.

Same here. Digital Press was a fun store when Joe was around. Me and my brother use to have excellent conversations and use to discuss video games and random stuff all the time with him. I haven't seen him as of late.. The workers there don't seem very friendly. I just see them on their mobile devices.

Does Joe still own the store?

Anthony..

Edited by fdurso224

Their vintage book collection is mirrored on wayback, thank goodness. I think they're worth grabbing if you want to remember this time period.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170606141802/http://www.digitpress.com/library/books/

DP also had a bunch of old game sounds, which I used to enjoy using as ringtones or system sounds. It's funny how YouTube has made things like that seem obsolete.

The forums are still up, but a ghost town compared to AtariAge. They had a unique "karma" system where you'd get different bits of swag for your avatar depending on how many posts you made. I wasn't active enough to get past "INSERT COIN." :lol:

post-2410-0-45002900-1508330674.png

Their forum was fun, but I liked their archive the most of all. It looks like Wayback scraped their whole library, which is good. I'm going to try to grab it all with SiteSucker.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170710154054/http://www.digitpress.com/library/

I make it a routine practice of downloading useful content (e.g. scanned magazines, game manuals, e-books, images, etc.) as soon as I find it. Thus if/when the original disappears, I still have a personal copy that will remain forever accessible.

• Like 1