IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

N64 would be a little more complicated than what they've done with NES and SNES. It really NEEDS 4 controller ports to be fun, and it would be smart to redesign the controller to something a bit more functional for modern times. Offering support for Wii U Pro Controller, or better yet, Switch Pro Controllers would be smart. They could make a purple one and brand it as Wavebird 2, and then use it for the (inevitable?) GameCube Mini to follow.

Given the plethora of Classic Controller solutions available on the market, the Wii method of using the Right stick for the C buttons works well. N64 mini controllers could be sold as extras but including 4 controllers with every system would add expense. Didn't the original N64 only come with one pack in controller?

I wish there was a way to tether these to a swtich console for when VC comes into play.

Given the plethora of Classic Controller solutions available on the market, the Wii method of using the Right stick for the C buttons works well. N64 mini controllers could be sold as extras but including 4 controllers with every system would add expense. Didn't the original N64 only come with one pack in controller?

I wish there was a way to tether these to a swtich console for when VC comes into play.

I bought a Nintendo 64 near launch and it only came with one controller.

I'm sure that some of the later sets must have come with a couple though.

I thought you meant Analogue NT until I checked my email ... yummm, seizure-inducing ad for an FPGA Super Nintendo! I think I might get that, especially if it can run other things, too.

https://www.analogue.co/

I saw this link on my phone during my 3pm lunch break and immediately preordered one from the office PC with my CC once I had the opportunity.

Question is it comes in 4 flavors; which one will you get? I chose the classic with the purple accents because I'm a nut for the North American style SNES. My RetroUSB AVS seems a fitting restyling of the NES theme, otherwise I would have went with the clear. Honestly though the FC version would have been perfect with purple buttons, but alas no purple so I went with "classic..." :P

See here finally is Analogue doing it right. Not only do we have a perfectly affordable FPGA solution for the SNES, but we now have a pretty good idea the "secret comission" project by Kevtris was none other than a full fledged SNES. Also look at the price disparity between the NT Mini and Super NT. That should give you an idea of how much a billet of raw aluminum costs after it is milled out. Take off $200 for the aluminum case and another $60 for the 8bitdo controllers (which are now *thankfully* available separately from the main system). 8)

I bought a Nintendo 64 near launch and it only came with one controller.

I'm sure that some of the later sets must have come with a couple though.

Yeah I could see bundling two controllers but not all four. Given the yearly cycle and these ARMs already having more horespower and memory at their disposal compared to a Wii, 720p N64 games on an embedded system two years down the pipes will not be a problem.

Question is it comes in 4 flavors; which one will you get? I chose the classic with the purple accents because I'm a nut for the North American style SNES. My RetroUSB AVS seems a fitting restyling of the NES theme, otherwise I would have went with the clear. Honestly though the FC version would have been perfect with purple buttons, but alas no purple so I went with "classic..." :P

The choice was easy for me, through the process of elimination.

The American SNES purple is very lavender and doesn't really go with anything. I liked the games on the SNES but the case was always a functional thing to me. I only have a SNES mini now, and I haven't seen it in ages. I hope it doesn't turn yellow if it's locked away in a box.

The grey/rainbow world SNES is attractive, but if we're lucky, this machine will do a lot more than SNES games. I already have some rainbow-buttoned Buffalo USB wired controllers and don't need more.

The smoke/clear design is honestly my favorite, but the controllers don't look as good as the base unit, and who knows how well this will look in person. Photos often make things look nicer than they actually are (2DS XL comes to mind here). Besides, transparent plastic is such a 1999 fashion trend. iMacs, GameBoy Color, vacuum cleaners and stuff. Meh.

So I'm going with basic black on black, with 2 black controllers ordered separately from Amazon. I hope they arrive at the same time. Black goes with everything, including my TV, center speaker, Tivo, PS3, PS4, XB60, XBone, WiiU, Sega Genesis, and my evil, shriveled little heart.

• Like 2

A flashy animation would be appropriate here:

SuperNT-Multi_Color.gif

Looking back, I'm starting to regret my choice of "NA purple" as there's too much white in it. The gray accents of the SF model are more tonally balanced but I rushed my purchase through as I didn't know how long preorders would stay open. Hopefully the final unit is SNES light gray and not Wii white. :P

• Like 2

A flashy animation would be appropriate here:

SuperNT-Multi_Color.gif

Looking back, I'm starting to regret my choice of "NA purple" as there's too much white in it. The gray accents of the SF model are more tonally balanced but I rushed my purchase through as I didn't know how long preorders would stay open. Hopefully the final unit is SNES light gray and not Wii white. :P

I picked the SF model (remember it doesn't come with controllers), and I have both FC and SNES controllers so I don't really need any.

That said, in my rush to pre-order it I was almost wishing I had picked the black one, but then it would have the same problem as other solid-black home entertainment boxes in which you can't see them at all and trip over them.

Anyway I have a working GPM-02 SNES that I spent money on a Componet cable for, so I can do some comparisons when I get this using the same SA7160 capture card.

The SNES Mini classic is still on my list of things to get, because input latency needs to be compared. But I think ultimately it's going to be something for kids to play.

• Like 1

We've been working on an adapter to Use the nes classic/snes classic controllers on actual original consoles. How popular would this be?

I mean you could use New high quality controllers with your old consoles.

Not sure that would be a good idea . I am unsure but I highly doubt that the new classic mini controllers are of the same quality as original ones . Considering that you can buy button replacement pad repair kits if your controller has any issues you would not need an adaptor to use with a new lesser quality controller . Just my 2 cents .

Not sure that would be a good idea . I am unsure but I highly doubt that the new classic mini controllers are of the same quality as original ones . Considering that you can buy button replacement pad repair kits if your controller has any issues you would not need an adaptor to use with a new lesser quality controller . Just my 2 cents .

Your two cents would be wrong in this case. Videos showing the internals of both the new and old controllers reveal the parts that matter to be just as high quality as the originals. These things are the real deal.

We've been working on an adapter to Use the nes classic/snes classic controllers on actual original consoles. How popular would this be?

A noble endeavor my friend, but I'd rather have an adapter to use standard controllers on the classic minis. Ideally I'd want a wireless solution to incorporate standard controllers (basically a wireless dongle that plugs into the console, with another battery operated dongle to plug a controller into), so for instance I could use these without a cable tether:

31480921136_ea98c4587a_b.jpg

Bad idea I think, well maybe not so much as bad but not ideal. Given the fact the NES one is impossible to get for now if ever that doesn't help though the 3rd party ones were ample. SNES is a closed up deal as they don't sell spares as it comes with 2 but again third parties offer stuff. I'd argue it would be most excellent doing the reverse, adapter to use legit SNES style plug controllers (1st or any party) same with the NES on the modern MINIs. There are millions of those around compared to the few of the modern ones.

I do not see this as a hit. Sure you may attract some people but lets face it how many people would want to pay for an adapter to use new controllers that cost more than originals. Even if the new controllers are of good quality I doubt many people would want to use their limited edition mini controllers when they can just buy a rubber kit for $2.

People like me would prefer to use refurbished original controllers.

• Like 1

Your two cents would be wrong in this case. Videos showing the internals of both the new and old controllers reveal the parts that matter to be just as high quality as the originals. These things are the real deal.

They're far from the real deal. Nub on the directional pad center isn't the same. Buttons triggers feel different and less responsive. Plenty of in depth breakdowns out there that show this. The 2nd gen originals (ones without the engraved logo), are unmatched.

Same company did the switch pro controller i believe and the d-pad there is lacking as well.

Edited by Tusecsy