IGNORED

Games for AFP made in Bb (Stella EMU)

Lewis2907

It has been a while since I have had time to learn more about Bb. I made 2 games previously from stuff I found here on Bb. Basically I compiled them together and learned some interesting tricks along the way. I currently prefer DPC over the other kernels. The issue I am having is getting these 2 games to work on my AFP. My thought is that if I can get these to work I can play around with some other stuff I started on and continue to improve the game play etc. Any ideas or pointers are always welcome, thanks.

Pac_Man_Eat_and_Run.bas.bin

20170925 - Pac Man Eat and Run DPC+.txt

20170925 -Save Earth DPC+.txt

Save-Earth.bas.bin

Nanochess,

Thanks, I was dreading that. Stella and the almighty Cell Phone are fun to play games on of course, but with the AFP / Javatari (lessons learned there) making small games to show your friends, kids and grand kids is more appealing. I really like DPC even with the limitations. I will port these 2 games over to the Multisprite and continue my progress on learning more Bb there. One day I will try to make something for real hardware, but I am a few years away from that type of venture.

The Save Earth may be better if done in 64K as I tried to make a huge map. Does the AFP work with 64K? I have not tried it yet. I plan to use the sample program that RevEng made as a test before I go down another rabbit hole. Last question from what I read 64K works only for the standard kernel and not both standard / multisprite?

Thanks again for the response.

Your games cannot run in the Atari Flashback Portable because it doesn't support DPC.

• Like 1

After checking the Atari Flashback Portable compatibility list https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dN1l_iw3N4lJ69Wq2cqoLGKAxbo-gHLMohrhlSHwYNI/edit#gid=0, I think only a maximum of 32K ROM size is supported by AFP (Double Dragon), so you need to use the known mappers in order to make something playable in AFP.

Mr. SQL,

I will check out Flaskback Basic. So I have started to port the "Save Earth" over to Multisprite and I can't get it to work on AFP. I removed the $ where I read in another post that might be the issue, but still no luck. I may have my screen or color configurations off would be my next guess. I will continue to see what is going on with it. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Save_earth.bas.bin

20170927 - Save Earth.txt

• Like 1

Mr. SQL,

I will check out Flaskback Basic. So I have started to port the "Save Earth" over to Multisprite and I can't get it to work on AFP. I removed the $ where I read in another post that might be the issue, but still no luck. I may have my screen or color configurations off would be my next guess. I will continue to see what is going on with it. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Awesome! :) Very cool you are porting Save Earth to the portable Atari, the original bB configuration works and should let you make games up to 32k with the SuperChip, I think the multisprite kernel should be supported too.

One thing we noticed is that if a game is very small it won't run, the portable expects a certain footprint to be present in memory bank used. Padding banks that aren't at least 2/3 full or thereabouts with extra uncalled code or data does the trick if that is happening.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Attached is where I switched back to the standard kernel as this version here works on the AFP. Still a lot of work left to get to a decent game. Not sure if someone has a template they are using for the Multisprite Kernel. It would help me a lot to port Pac Man Eat n Run over to the AFP. If not I have an idea to just revamp the game all the way over from scratch and it might be a better game overall. I did not want to spend too much time trying to get a version working. I noticed that the standard kernel is fairly easy to get to work on the AFP.

***Edit*** I found a Mutlisprite program that Atarius Maximus loaded on Bb in 2007 that work on the AFP. But when you add the banks 2-8 you get an error. Thus it make it hard like Mr. SQL said that you have to fill 2/3 or so to make it work.

default.bas.bin

20171019 - Save Earth.txt

frenzy.txT.bin

frenzy.txt

Edited by Lewis2907