IGNORED

Which system had the better Library 3DO or Sega Saturn? (No imports)

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which has the better library (No imports)

• 3DO
    • Sega Saturn

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I had a 3DO and Saturn back in the day. Nearly all the good 3DO games were on both the Saturn and the PS1. The only two good games I can think of which were "3DO Exclusives" were Slayer and Guardian War. That said, I think the 3DO versions of many of the multi-port games felt a little bit better playing on the 3DO. And it wasn't like I didn't enjoy my Saturn. I played A LOT of Panzer Dragoon Zwei. It's simply undeniable the Saturn has a much broader library.

My Saturn died. I gave my 3DO to a friend.

I've sometimes thought about getting a replacement Saturn. I've never carried through. Honestly, when I start really analyzing it, the Saturn doesn't have much which appeals to me outside of the moment of the 90s.

But I regret giving up my 3DO. I truly miss it. In fact, my original one from the 90s is still in service and is used regularly by my friend. He still regularly plays Slayer and Road Rash on it. Sometimes I'm reunited with it, and I race a Lamborghini Diablo down the city streets in Need for Speed just like the old days.

My answer is 3DO, not because of any objective measure, but because of subjective personal preference and nostalgic attachment.

• Like 1

Of course there's no way to verify. But I would bet it was very likely by the late 90's there were more people stateside actively enjoying the Saturn import scene, than those still messing about with the 3DO. I say this based on the proliferation of the Action Replay 4in1, and the fact my local game store had Saturn imports front and center in the display cases. Domestic 3DO titles were tucked around the corner in a dark area of the store.

They still are.

Saturn and your choice of games is lousy lacking for Saturn which makes you look like you're trying to sway people into the 3DO just a little. There are some very key titles globally, and if you must, at least domestically that are neglected from being listed. Sure 3DO had some gems and some PC converts of quality too, but it also was a big outdated port box too.

If you roll into Japan (to some superior) there is Castlevania NITM (SOTN with more areas.) Quite a few solid anime themed games that don't blow, even more Capcom arcade gems, and the list continues.

We're there any good RPGs for the 3DO? I see an AD&D game but those never really captured my imagination until BioWare recreated the category with Baldur's Gate. Really interested in good strategy RPGs.

I suppose it depends. It doesn't have much in the way of JRPGs and the two featured in the USA (one tactics style, one traditional turn based) are average at best. Western style dungeon crawler role playing games like Slayer and Deathkeep were pretty well regarded on the 3DO, but it doesn't have much else asides from those.

Is this even a serious question? Saturn by leagues and I have had and enjoy both systems. In fact, Saturn is my favorite console of that era mainly due to the amazing SEGA exclusives like Nights, Shiny the Holy Ark, Shining Force III, the Panzer Dragoon series, Bug!, VF Remix, VF2, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Mega Mix, Daytona, Last Bronx, VF Kids, Sega Rally Championship, Virtua Cop 1 & 2, House of the Dead and the amazing Working Designs localizations, all of the great Capcom 2D fighters and Mega Man titles, the awesome sch ups like Galactic Attack and Darius Gaiden, plus many of the most important cross platform games of the era like Rayman, Resident Evil, Wipeout, Tomb Raider, Quake, and MK3. It also had ports of the best 3DO games like Gex, Solar Eclipse (Total Eclipse), Offworld Interceptor, Road Rash, and Need for Speed. It didn't have EA but I generally don't like sports titles so I could care less.

• Like 1

I've been enjoying my Sega CD and Genesis, but I keep thinking about hooking up the good ole Saturn soon! This thread has me aching to play Saturn games again, its a great system and I have like 50 great games for it. Something about the cooler weather and the autumn makes me want to play Saturn.

The 3DO looked neat bitd and it looks like it has some fun games, but I agree with the common consensus here - its library can't compare to Saturn's.

I can't remember why, but NHL Powerplay 96 was the best Saturn hockey game. Fluid and fun with good frame rate an animation. Why are you guys showing EA NHL 98? Did it suck or something?

@keepdreamin was just correcting a misstatement in my rant. It was the DC that didn't get EA support, not the Saturn.

• Like 1

And Shining Force III. We're there any good RPGs for the 3DO? I see an AD&D game but those never really captured my imagination until BioWare recreated the category with Baldur's Gate. Really interested in good strategy RPGs.

Lucienne's Quest is a good JRPG for 3DO that was released outside of Japan.

• Like 1

I've got a pretty good selection of saturn imports. Putting the collection together took no time at all, even though a good number of then are very rare titles. ;)

post-45470-0-21543900-1508826204_thumb.j

With the difficulty in emulating Saturn, this is probably the smartest way to go.

With the difficulty in emulating Saturn, this is probably the smartest way to go.

saturn emulation is actually pretty good now. But still not "set it, and forget it" quality like playstation, SNES etc... . It's kind of like n64 emulation. certain games like certain emulators better, or certain emulator options will need to be played with to get past crashes. Then there's the issue of input lag.

I'll stick with the cd drive emulator until kevtris writes a Saturn FPGA core. ;-)

• Like 1

I've got a pretty good selection of saturn imports. Putting the collection together took no time at all, even though a good number of then are very rare titles. ;)

post-45470-0-21543900-1508826204_thumb.j

I didn't know that people were doing this to the Saturn. Makes me want to get a spare to install one of these things!

Odd I say no important and people keep talking about Japanese games. Also Sonic R is listed as a stand out Saturn title.

Btw the 3DO has about 400 games. Around 300 without imports.

You also need to look at the native libraries and think honestly back in the time frame. When even the psx came out it took till 96 to remove the "exclusive" perception of the 3DO that many wanted but couldn't get. I don't recall anyone doing that With the Saturn. Heck I'd say the Saturn died in the U.S. Quicker.

The 3DO also has natively, a lot of genres covered. Type in 3DO spreadsheet list on Google for an almost complete list of games.

Also lol comparing 3DO to the cdi, THATS BIAS.

NOW with all that said I'm. Not saying the 3DO trounces the Saturn just that I feel it has a slightly better more varied library. With games that last a bit longer to me.

Also in regards to the gray brown pixel filter, in regards to the arcade ports as I said, I've played a ton of Saturn games, almost all the ports have that problem from Daytona to fighting vipers. It's what makes a lot of Saturn games age like crap. Especially with the jags.

Now with that said, Ithink it's close between the two but I feel the third party support the 3DO got over the Saturn natively along with exploring more experimental titles just gave me more longetivity. I mean I'd rather play NFS for hours over Daytona despite Daytona being the more graphically advanced game. (Oddly enough 3DO has the better version of NFS than the Saturn.

I have no idea what you mean when you talk about "gray brown pixel filter" in Saturn games. My Saturn games, particularly the AM2 arcade ports, are bright, crisp, and colorful. This "blue blue skies" house style is one reason I enjoyed this period of Sega releases.

The 3D graphics from this era have aged poorly though, especially compared to 2D SNES type games. I'd rather play those than any of this CD-based 1990s stuff in general.

• Like 1

Odd I say no important and people keep talking about Japanese games. Also Sonic R is listed as a stand out Saturn title.

Btw the 3DO has about 400 games. Around 300 without imports.

You also need to look at the native libraries and think honestly back in the time frame. When even the psx came out it took till 96 to remove the "exclusive" perception of the 3DO that many wanted but couldn't get. I don't recall anyone doing that With the Saturn. Heck I'd say the Saturn died in the U.S. Quicker.

The 3DO also has natively, a lot of genres covered. Type in 3DO spreadsheet list on Google for an almost complete list of games.

Also lol comparing 3DO to the cdi, THATS BIAS.

NOW with all that said I'm. Not saying the 3DO trounces the Saturn just that I feel it has a slightly better more varied library. With games that last a bit longer to me.

Also in regards to the gray brown pixel filter, in regards to the arcade ports as I said, I've played a ton of Saturn games, almost all the ports have that problem from Daytona to fighting vipers. It's what makes a lot of Saturn games age like crap. Especially with the jags.

Now with that said, Ithink it's close between the two but I feel the third party support the 3DO got over the Saturn natively along with exploring more experimental titles just gave me more longetivity. I mean I'd rather play NFS for hours over Daytona despite Daytona being the more graphically advanced game. (Oddly enough 3DO has the better version of NFS than the Saturn.

Comparing the US Saturn to the US 3DO libraries, again, Saturn wipes the floor with it.

We get it, you're heavy into the 3DO and looking for validation for your investment. Sorry, but the majority of us operate in reality. As indicated by your poll results.

Edited by keepdreamin
  • Like 1