IGNORED

NanoWing, PotHole, Fishy, and Bit Quest

metalbabble

Hi AtariAge, I just was recently introduced to Atari 2600 development and wanted to share a few things I came up with...

BitQuest

An adventure-type game with a fairly large over-world along with some randomly placed dungeons to explore.

Fishy

A simple two-player competition to collect points and power-ups

NanoWing

A random "don't crash into things" space type game.

PotHole

Basically, driving in New England.

In any case, the games are attached and ready to go, along with some "labels" I made up. I'd also be happy to share any source code with anyone who's interested!

Have fun and let me know what you think. Thanks for letting me join in the fun on AtariAge. :)

bitquest.bin

fishy.bin

nanowing.bin

pothole.bin

post-62342-0-36818600-1509656969_thumb.png

post-62342-0-92027900-1509656980_thumb.png

post-62342-0-93814100-1509656992_thumb.png

post-62342-0-50572800-1509657043_thumb.png

• Like 10

Hey, thanks!!!

Regarding the kernels - sure thing. NanoWing, Fishy, and PotHole all just use the standard batari kernel. Bit Quest uses the multisprite_bankswitch kernel. I think next time around I will probably use the DPC+ kernel, now that I see what it's capable of.

I'm going to try and put together some kind of manual for Bit Quest since there's a little more to it. In a nutshell, it's a "rescue the princess" type game, there's a sword and a few dungeons hidden throughout the world map. The locations of these are randomized based on the left difficulty switch. I'd love to get this one on a physical cartridge, with a manual and world map, etc.

Anyhow, thanks again, everyone :)

BitQuest is where it is at. Nothing wrong with the other games, but BitQuest is the one that would be in my collection if it were released on a cart. Definitely wants a manual though. Sometimes I kill enemies and they drop a dot, sometimes this dot restores a heart (love the health meter) sometimes it does not. Can snowmen be killed? I was unsuccessful. Occasionally while killing an enemy I get an extra long SFX but am not sure why or what it means. Sometimes while wandering the world, just slashing my sword for the fun of it, the game makes a sound like I've vanquished an enemy when no enemy is present. Wherefore? I wish some of the gaps were a little bit bigger to make it less frustrating to fit through.

Love all the sprites. Love the dungeons. Love the landscapes! Love the ending!

BitQuest is for real. Well done!

Cool, thanks so much for the feedback. I think for sure a good manual (and maybe a map) is the way to go. That snowman thing is annoying, I think it has to do with their height. As far as the health power-ups that get dropped - I haven't seen anything weird with those, I'll have to investigate.

• 4 weeks later...

I was loving the idea of Bit Quest, so I made an overworld map. However, in doing this, I realized how short the game can be.

The sword is very close to the beginning.

The dungeon is very close to the sword.

The end castle/fortress is very close to the dungeon.

Synopsis:

The sword isn't really neccessary, but even if you grab the sword, it's a matter of going a couple of screens to the sword, go straight for the dungeon a few screens over, grab the key, enter the fortress a couple screens away, and it's basically game over.

Again, I love the idea. You have some cool region variety with interesting landmarks, but there is nothing really leading the player to experience any of them. You don't have to see the Sphinx, the giant snowman, the igloo, the volcano, or anything. Not that I want to see you distracted from any other projects (Sand Castles is amazing), but it would be nice to see this expanded on and developed a little further.

Overworld Map:

post-9364-0-66488500-1512517678_thumb.png

I was loving the idea of Bit Quest, so I made an overworld map. However, in doing this, I realized how short the game can be.

The sword is very close to the beginning.

The dungeon is very close to the sword.

The end castle/fortress is very close to the dungeon.

Synopsis:

The sword isn't really neccessary, but even if you grab the sword, it's a matter of going a couple of screens to the sword, go straight for the dungeon a few screens over, grab the key, enter the fortress a couple screens away, and it's basically game over.

Again, I love the idea. You have some cool region variety with interesting landmarks, but there is nothing really leading the player to experience any of them. You don't have to see the Sphinx, the giant snowman, the igloo, the volcano, or anything. Not that I want to see you distracted from any other projects (Sand Castles is amazing), but it would be nice to see this expanded on and developed a little further.

Overworld Map:

Hey, thanks for giving it a spin! So you might be interested in knowing that the placement of the sword and dungeons is randomized (or not) based on the difficulty switch. The way you played it intentionally makes it easier/closer for players staring out. Try the game out on "A"/advanced... it should randomize everything (sword, dungeons) making the game a little more complex. The sword isn't required at all... I figure that gives more ways of playing (evade the monsters, do a pacifist run, whatever) Anyhow, that map is great! I've been meaning to put something like that together and make a proper manual. Thanks again for checking it out!

...Try the game out on "A"/advanced... it should randomize everything (sword, dungeons) making the game a little more complex...

Good to know. Thanks! I'll definitely have to try that out.

Anyhow, that map is great! I've been meaning to put something like that together and make a proper manual. Thanks again for checking it out!

Glad you like it. I didn't do the dungeons, since they don't branch off anywhere -- figured they didn't need a map.

• 1 year later...

We'll be featuring Bit Quest LIVE on this Wednesday's (tomorrow) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Qb Special Edition (2001) by Andrew Davie
- Pixel Ninja Pit Jump (2019 WIP) by Sknarp
- Cave In (2012) by Steve Engelhardt aka Atarius Maximus
- Bit Quest (2017) by Brian Shea aka metalbabble

1967752730_20190703-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.db8461e6eb78240edd129158f35bb97c.jpg

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

• 2 weeks later...

If you'll forgive the shameless plug, I don't know if I mentioned it here before but I actually made a sequel to Bit Quest earlier this year (surprisingly called Bit Quest II)

A lot of the awesome feedback I received here went into making it.

If you haven't seen it, check it out here: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/286977-bit-quest-ii-new-homebrew/

We'll be featuring NanoWing LIVE on this Wednesday's (tomorrow's) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- A Roach In Space (2019 WIP Update) by Vladimir Zuñiga aka John Von Neumann aka Vhzc
- NanoWing (2017) by Brian Shea aka metalbabble
- One Button Bob (2011) by Chris Read aka atari2600land
- Drone Wars (2019 WIP) by Jesus Jimenez aka Jesús98

1961479788_20190717-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.80b61a923704c01ebcee5ab61b288b0f.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, s0c7 said:

FYI - on the screens like this with the gaps in the top/bottom, if you go off screen and just leave the joystick alone the ship will continue on off screen and rack up a big score.

Ahhh, clever hack! I guess there were no boundary checking and the author assumed you would never go beyond the vertical borders on the screen that were mostly blocked.

- James