IGNORED

Best C Cross Compiler for TI-99/4A? Possibly with conio.h?

@mizapf where do I find texi2any files? I installed textinfo with the Cygwin installer with no error.

Which Makefile do you need?

The Makefile that fails is the one from the GCC for TI installer.

I am just using the installer on Cygwin and nothing else. Whenever the installer stops complaining about a missing command, I have installed whatever

was missing, which was just tree and patch.

Edited by Fabrizio Caruso

As I said, just guessing. Cygwin provides you with a unix-like environment, and I can only try to figure out form the "real" side, i.e. in Linux. There, the makeinfo file is just a link to the texi2any file, which is a Perl script, but it could be that in Cygwin, makeinfo is a file by itself and not a link. My intention was to have a look at the line that complains about Config not being found. As for the Makefile, the compiler said "make[3]: *** [Makefile:394: bfd.info] Error 1", so we should have a look at line 394.

Thanks for your help!

makeinfo is just a link to texi2any

I have attached

- the Makefile found in binutils (as created/downloaded by the GCC for TI script)
- the text2any file.(pointed by makeinfo)

- the error messages produced by executing make all to build binutils

Makefile.zip

texi2any.zip

binutils_error.txt

I think it is a different makefile. It should be in /cygdrive/c/Users/Brizio/Retro/gcc-installer/build/binutils-2.19.1/bfd/doc. The console output says that make entered this directory [3]; make[4] was successful and probably produced "bfd.info", but make[3] could not execute it.

Concerning texi2any, it seems to me that the filename "./Config" was specified somewhere, maybe by you?

• Like 1

Thanks for your support!

@mizapf, I have done nothing with texi2any. I have done nothing with anything.

I have just installed Cygwin and some required packages with the Cygwin installer and have never

specified anything for any package.

I have attached the Makefile found in

build/binutils-2.19.1/bfd/doc

Indeed make bfd.info fails.
Maybe I can remove the doc part and still be able to build.

Makefile_from_bfd_doc.zip

• Like 1

OK, the culprit is the execution of makeinfo, which returns an error to the Makefile, and you already ran it directly, finding an error message. The question is, why does it try to load ./Config, which is obviously not there? If you want to do some more debugging, you could run Perl in debug mode (add "-d" behind the /usr/bin/perl invocation in the very first line of texi2any). When you run it, the debugger is started, and you may have a chance to see where "./Config" comes into play. You'll get a debugger prompt; enter "o AutoTrace=1" and in the next line "c". Then you get a list of executed lines.

I tried install.sh on Linux subsystem for Windows and it worked fine (after I had installed tree), but even though it says that everything has completed there's nothing in the output directory?

sh install.sh tigcc
Using these patches:
binutils-2.19.1-tms9900-1.7.patch
gcc-4.4.0-tms9900-1.16.patch
=== Creating output directory ===
=== Getting Binutils sources ===
=== Getting GCC sources ===
=== Make build directory ===
=== Decompressing and patching Binutils sources ===
=== Decompressing and patching GCC sources ===
=== Building Binutils ===
=== Building GCC ===
=== Installation complete ===

Out of desperation I have tried to install on an old virtualized Ubuntu and I get to complete the installation but not compiler is found in the output directory... (same result as Asmusr).

@Asmusr I may have the same result as you with an old Ubuntu distribution.

Whoever has managed to install GCC for TI, could you please share your exact configuration and installation steps?

The istaller fails in two different ways on Cygwin (Makefile error) and virtualized Ubuntu (no compiler files produced),

Out of desperation I have tried to install on an old virtualized Ubuntu and I get to complete the installation but not compiler is found in the output directory... (same result as Asmusr).

@Asmusr I may have the same result as you with an old Ubuntu distribution.

Whoever has managed to install GCC for TI, could you please share your exact configuration and installation steps?

The istaller fails in two different ways on Cygwin (Makefile error) and virtualized Ubuntu (no compiler files produced),

I got a but further than that. I thought I might need to install gcc first so I did that and deleted the build and ran the installer again. I think I also installed some library, libdevgcc something. After a few attempts it did build some stuff in the output directory, but something was still missing and I could not get make the hello world program. I finally gave up and deleted LSW again.

I am sorry but i really never had experience on GCC or developing stuff at the moment.
Maybe Fabrizio could need a step-by-step guide to install this ? it could help to understand if there is something wrong in the steps used by him i guess.

maybe someone could create a step-by-step guide ?

It could also help someone other that would want to try it in future maybe.

I don't have Windows, and don't know nearly enough about cygwin to be helpful. Unfortunately it also seems like you have a fairly strange and specific problem with your installation...

But I wanted to be of help anyway, so I set up a little Linux server that you can use to build your game. Let me know if you'd like an account, more info here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/164295-gcc-for-the-ti/?p=3885409and here: http://5.230.195.16/

• Like 1