IGNORED

Next hardware project: snes2joy

ivop

You can buy china megadrive gamepad for 3usd... or contact manufacturer of those.I am sure that joy db9 cable is still in production in Asia...

Nice, thanks for the tip! While searching for them, I also stumbled upon extension cables.

I ordered a few of these instead of the gamepads, as I have no use for the gamepad, but perhaps find a use for the male part of the extension cables in the future. And they are cheaper :)

• Like 1

That is correct. When my JOY2PIC didn't fit the JS port on the 130XE well, I carefully peeled off the metal housing and had good results.attachicon.gif20171027_210906.jpg

I tried to do this just now, and it works! Never knew they weren't glued together. You would still need a 3D printed housing in which this fits, but the idea is good. If the extension cables (or megadrive gamepads) are not up to par quality-wise, I will look into this further.

• Like 2

Nice, thanks for the tip! While searching for them, I also stumbled upon extension cables.

I ordered a few of these instead of the gamepads, as I have no use for the gamepad, but perhaps find a use for the male part of the extension cables in the future. And they are cheaper :)

Isn't it sad that those aren't mentioned as Atari cables ?? .....after will....who defined this "standard" ? :)

Nice find though !!!

I tried to do this just now, and it works! Never knew they weren't glued together.

Yep I had to glue the two halves of the plastic housing together after removing the metal shrouding, but it does give you a very slim and trim connector as the end result. If only Atari had kept things the way it was on the the original 400/800 all of this would be totally unnecessary.

BTW, very nice looking case design :thumbsup:

Waaahahaha......pretty unlikely, I think this is probably one of the few things Atari did not patent.....or else they would have sued Commodore, Sega, the MSX manufacturers and probably more...

Good thing the patents ran out years ago, so now we can copy anything of their's we want, so long as it's not under copyright protection (which apparently never runs out).

- Michael

Nah, they didn't.

You can't patent an already excisting connector......after all it's just a modified De-9 plug (without the metal shield).

Commodore was the first to steal it so they could and definitely would have sued them IF they could but they knew they couldn't.

But I fear we're derailing the thread :):)

Well unless the new Atari intends to patent something new that is A8 related, I don't see them being a threat to what is being done now days with this series of machines. Whatever patents they once held in that aspect expired well over a decade ago. So as I mentioned the only thing to be concerned with is copyrighted and/or use of trademarked items (i.e., Atari Logo).

- Michael

• Like 1

Man......the US guys are so uptighted with stuff like that......we in The Netherlands just do what we like......

This is ancient stuf.....we are a tiny community, they don't care.

Check out the story about the guys who restored a Nintendo Sky Skipper arcade cab.......Nintendo of America let them scan the artwork of their only original left cab......

• Like 1

Man......the US guys are so uptighted with stuff like that......we in The Netherlands just do what we like......

This is ancient stuf.....we are a tiny community, they don't care.

Check out the story about the guys who restored a Nintendo Sky Skipper arcade cab.......Nintendo of America let them scan the artwork of their only original left cab......

You make a good point, and it's not that I'm too concerned either, but embossing the Atari symbol on your product no matter how insignificant the marketplace may seem to be can backfire when you least expect it. As an example, in my hometown which is not a major well known city, there was this little business calling themselves the Volkswerk. They sold various 3rd party accessories for the at the time, 50+ year old VW Beetle. They got a cease and desist letter from Volkswagon Corporation saying they could not use the name Volkswerk (I'm guessing on the name -- back in 1990) because of it's similarity to their trademarked name. Keep in mind that this was a small mom and pop store of insignificant market penetration, 6000 miles away in a relatively small town without lots of visibility. How they got on Volkswagen's radar, we'll never know.

Long story short, due to additional letters threatening legal action they were forced to change their name.

So am I paranoid? Perhaps. But if it could happen to them, and it wasn't like they were directly copying logos or even the name, then I would seriously consider it a possibility if someone were to print an exact copy of the Atari fuji logo on their product. And why take the chance?

- Michael

• Like 1

The problem with a standard box would be the hole for the SNES connector. See post #32. That's very non-standard and I don't think I'm capable of "dremeling" that myself, at least not several times in a row without failing. The final version will be somewhat smaller though, and I "discovered" that no 4mm screw will sink enough in a 2mm lid, but a 3mm screw will, so th holes have to be smaller.

Edit: right now the cost of this box was €6,50 (excl. €3,= fixed startup cost and S&H) in black PLA and printed in The Netherlands. That'll probably be cheaper when done in bulk at a cheaper 3D printing company.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That is already a very good price. Usually 3D printed stuff doesn't get much cheaper in bulk because it doesn't really matter much how many you do,they all still have to be printed one by one.... but as I said....this is comparable to a factory generic box price so I'm in :)

That is already a very good price. Usually 3D printed stuff doesn't get much cheaper in bulk because it doesn't really matter much how many you do,they all still have to be printed one by one.... but as I said....this is comparable to a factory generic box price so I'm in :)

Yeah, I had hoped multiple items would be cheaper, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I only save a little on startup cost and S&H.

Probably too late, but if you made this compatible with two button independent fire ala 7800 you'd double your work...er I mean sales. Yeah that's it, sales.

Looks like a firmware issue to me. I could implement another mode (e.g. hold X while powering on) where D-Pad is directions, A puts 228 or 0 on POT0 and B puts 228 or 0 on POT1. I have a 7800 here, but which games use two button mode?