IGNORED

Atari 1010 not loading cassettes

haightc

Hello,

you didn't describe what you have exactly tried.

I believe the first step is to check if the data recorder can read its own recordings. Please refer to this post to see how to do it with ATARI BASIC.

You report that you see ERROR 130. This is a "nonexistent device" error. Ensure you are using the C: device. Or did you mean ERROR 138 or ERROR 143?

Also, ensure that you are loading the software on the tape properly.

• Machine language programs (most games) are loaded by booting from tape: Hold START+OPTION during cold start of the computer (or power up)
  • Atari BASIC programs saved with CSAVE command are loaded by the CLOAD command.
  • Atari BASIC programs saved with SAVE"C:" command are loaded by LOAD"C:" or RUN"C:" commands
  • Atari BASIC programs saved with LIST"C:" command are loaded by ENTER"C:" command.

The error I am getting is 140 not 130, I mis-remembered. if I advance a little further sometimes I'll get an error 143 (at line 0). Counter ticks away, hard to know if tape speed is correct though. I am loading a basic program, specifically conversational french, so it would be CLOAD.

The error I am getting is 140 not 130, I mis-remembered. if I advance a little further sometimes I'll get an error 143 (at line 0). Counter ticks away, hard to know if tape speed is correct though. I am loading a basic program, specifically conversational french, so it would be CLOAD.

Yes CLOAD it is, also according to the instructions manual for the software.

There are few measures you can take to narrow down the problem:

• Try the experiment with recording to a new blank tape. This way you determine if the problem is the data recorder or the cassette. Maxell UR90 or products of the National Audio Company should be around in USA.
  • Try inserting a standard music cassette with pre-recorded music and entering POKE 54018,52. Then use your ears to determine any anomalies (fluctuations of speed/pitch). This will reveal obvious mechanical problems (motor, loose belt)
  • Use cassette adapter. If there is a mechanical problem, but the electronics are OK, you should be able to load data using the cassette adapter. Use attached WAVE file.

test16k.zip

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that the WAVE file holds a machine language program. So boot it from tape by holding START when powering-up the computer. Presence or absence of the BASIC cartridge has no effect on the program.

Edited by baktra

Well doing POKE with an audio tape gives regular sounding playback. I think I have an old casette desk in my garage so I guess the next step would finding some new cassette and recording the file. I don't have a cassette adapter anymore, but I think that might be a good idea to try.

Using a cassette audio adapter I was able to load the test program. I found FLAC copies of the conversation french cassettes online and was able to load them via adapter. These cassette need a real tap played and unfortunately my audio cassette deck is dead so I'll need to pick up another one and record the files to fresh tape. I am a little surprised all the tapes in the pack fail to load. The real test will be new tapes next.

My old tape deck sadly doesn't work, I tried to hit up a few thrift shop put only one had one and they want $50 for it as is. I might try couple others, but I might have better luck waiting for someone to be given one away. I have an SIO2PC, it look AspeQT can emulate a CAS I am not sure if it can use a FLAC file. Any other good ways getting a audio file back onto a real cassette, that doesn't involve going out and buying a tape deck?

If you have a SIO2PC, then you can use one of the disk to cassette copiers. E.g. Nudmehi's boot cassette maker. It is a program that takes a .xex file from diskette and writes it to cassette, so all you need is the 1010. AspeQt supports only .cas files for imperfect 1010 emulation.

Well I picked up a cassette deck and recorded the FLAC to cassette. Sadly the cassette doesn't load, audio doesn't sound as good as the FLAC but that shouldn't be to surprising. I don't recall the audio sounding bad from the original cassette, so maybe I'll try dubbing the original. There is a a recording gain adjustment, so this maybe a factor. Also I'll try cleaning the tape heads on the deck and see if that helps. I am trying to record on a brand new Maxwell UX90, possibly new media isn't well suiting for this application?

Well I picked up a cassette deck and recorded the FLAC to cassette. Sadly the cassette doesn't load, audio doesn't sound as good as the FLAC but that shouldn't be to surprising. I don't recall the audio sounding bad from the original cassette, so maybe I'll try dubbing the original. There is a a recording gain adjustment, so this maybe a factor. Also I'll try cleaning the tape heads on the deck and see if that helps. I am trying to record on a brand new Maxwell UX90, possibly new media isn't well suiting for this application?

Contemporary Maxell UR90 tapes work perfectly with Atari data recorders. though they are low-end.

I recorded many of them with a tape deck, programs load flawlessly (both standard records and those east and central European turbo systems).

I would guess the cassette deck has recording level indicators (VU meters, recording meters) that indicate the recording level. The test16k.wav file is a stereo file. Verify that the indicator for the right channel shows almost constant high level, while left channel indicates no signal or almost no signal. The best option is to record with a recording level that ensures the meters are very close to the red area, but not in the red area.

674524.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone. This will be I think my first or second post at this amazing site and This thread was damn helpful. I have recently acquired an Atari 400, 410 and 810 for my son and I to own. love and enjoy. The computer seems fine now that I have re seated the chips (dead keyboard keys) and cleaned it up, I don't yet have a SIO cable for the 810 and as such looked to the tape drive as a way of loading software until i get an SIO and also a sio2pc. The 410 has issues. This system came from the original owner and the 410's belts have had it. warped and ancient.

So, knowing how easy it is for other 8 bit comps with audio ports for the cassette I started thinking and googling. Sure enough the solution was easy, soldier RCA leads onto 410 board, where playback head connects to board, run wires out of the 410 and connect to cell phone. Seems easy and it was but my end result gave me no love. I'm experienced with this type of work and dbl checking showed me I had indeed done a good job but the few audio files I had downloaded would not work no matter how I tried: CLOAD LOAD "C" OR BOOTUP WITH SHIFT OPTION, nothing.

Then I found this thread this am, downloaded that beautiful test file, did startup with option and start and it loaded up properly!

So, I know with a good audio file in hand Im good to go. Now to find said audio files or a way of converting cas files to wav. Ive tried cas2wav but it wont happen on my 64bit win 7 install. same as the newer one A8CAS, wont seem to do anything for me at all.

Any tips?

Edited by CanTom

Hi everyone. This will be I think my first or second post at this amazing site and This thread was damn helpful. I have recently acquired an Atari 400, 410 and 810 for my son and I to own. love and enjoy. The computer seems fine now that I have re seated the chips (dead keyboard keys) and cleaned it up, I don't yet have a SIO cable for the 810 and as such looked to the tape drive as a way of loading software until i get an SIO and also a sio2pc. The 410 has issues. This system came from the original owner and the 410's belts have had it. warped and ancient.

So, knowing how easy it is for other 8 bit comps with audio ports for the cassette I started thinking and googling. Sure enough the solution was easy, soldier RCA leads onto 410 board, where playback head connects to board, run wires out of the 410 and connect to cell phone. Seems easy and it was but my end result gave me no love. I'm experienced with this type of work and dbl checking showed me I had indeed done a good job but the few audio files I had downloaded would not work no matter how I tried: CLOAD LOAD "C" OR BOOTUP WITH SHIFT OPTION, nothing.

Then I found this thread this am, downloaded that beautiful test file, did startup with option and start and it loaded up properly!

So, I know with a good audio file in hand Im good to go. Now to find said audio files or a way of converting cas files to wav. Ive tried cas2wav but it wont happen on my 64bit win 7 install. same as the newer one A8CAS, wont seem to do anything for me at all.

Any tips?

I am not sure where that mod with the RCA connector came from. I would expect that the signal coming from the head is much weaker than the amplified signal that comes from the cell phone.

Ensure that the signal from the RCA connector goes where the signal from the right channel of the head goes.

For testing, you can use the following audio files:

Mono test file (data in the mono channel)

Stereo test file (voice over in the left channel, data in the right channel)

it works perfectly! Loads every game I throw at it, that I know how to load and is for a 16k that is. I saw the idea mentioned on this site i believe but it was an old post so the oics wouldnt load but, as someone who went to audio engendering school in late 80's, it was easy to find the board location.

For cell phone usage I used nutron, amazing audio player. I switched on 64 bit processing, turned off all eq and other crap and set volume to aprox 70%, my best guess at a good line out level without meters, and its great.

I had read in the field guide to the 410 that the board for the non handle version has stronger amp and that can cause issues so thats why i used nutron and its 64 bit mode and its gain reduction and so on.

for testing i used the turgen test file,i found a floc on this site but I'll grab those too. Always good to have good test files.

Even better is using comp and turgen with cas files, I now have a nice library of Atari 8 Bit cassette games that will load every time.

I'm still going to fix the 410 properly with new belts but I couldn't wait. I had to play

now to get me a sd cart, sio2pc and loose a weekend. haha

Edited by CanTom

• 1 month later...

Yes CLOAD it is, also according to the instructions manual for the software.

There are few measures you can take to narrow down the problem:

• Try the experiment with recording to a new blank tape. This way you determine if the problem is the data recorder or the cassette. Maxell UR90 or products of the National Audio Company should be around in USA.
  • Try inserting a standard music cassette with pre-recorded music and entering POKE 54018,52. Then use your ears to determine any anomalies (fluctuations of speed/pitch). This will reveal obvious mechanical problems (motor, loose belt)
  • Use cassette adapter. If there is a mechanical problem, but the electronics are OK, you should be able to load data using the cassette adapter. Use attached WAVE file.

Thanks for posting the test file. I just replaced the belt in my 1010 and the few tapes I have were all failing. Your test file worked fine with a cassette adapter so I know the belt is good.