IGNORED

The Ugliest Looking Game System Ever!

If you go to a toy store, a lot of toys for younger children at least used to be very colourful - I haven't checked in the last few years if the trend has changed. Thus I fully understand why VTech chose to design a children's games console in that fashion, as it blends with the colours and shapes of toys children are used to and tend to like.

I agree that if the Nintendo Wii had come looking like that, it had been laughable, as it was not strictly a children's console. Actually the V-Smile kind of reminds me of a Nintendo 64, but with far brighter colours and shapes so it isn't entirely unthinkable that big N would've aimed at the preschoolers with a friendly console looking like that.

Two mentions of SuperGrafx recently. I can agree that it neither has quirky character (like e.g. the Casio PV-1000 or Viewmaster Interactive) or elegance like most of the classic systems. It looks like it tries to be serious business but something went wrong. To me that is what makes a system more ugly than another, one that fails to reach any kind of visual style.

I'm not really sure what I think about a system like the FM Towns Marty. A little bland, no particular character but also rather sleek. The Marty 2 which is darker grey with a yellow button seems to have a bit more own persona than the first one.

1200px-FM-Towns-Marty-Console-Set.jpg

Also this PC in the FM Towns series could be worth a mention, if nothing else the CD-ROM orientation gives it a spectacular washing machine look, though part of me wants to chalk it down to quirky character.

FMTOWNS_2F.jpg

• Like 3

Two mentions of SuperGrafx recently. I can agree that it neither has quirky character (like e.g. the Casio PV-1000 or Viewmaster Interactive) or elegance like most of the classic systems. It looks like it tries to be serious business but something went wrong. To me that is what makes a system more ugly than another, one that fails to reach any kind of visual style.

I'm not really sure what I think about a system like the FM Towns Marty. A little bland, no particular character but also rather sleek. The Marty 2 which is darker grey with a yellow button seems to have a bit more own persona than the first one.

1200px-FM-Towns-Marty-Console-Set.jpg

Also this PC in the FM Towns series could be worth a mention, if nothing else the CD-ROM orientation gives it a spectacular washing machine look, though part of me wants to chalk it down to quirky character.

Wow. I checked on Wikipedia, because I often heard of the FM Towns but never really cared, and wow, that console was a failure. They quote the figire of 45 000 units sold between 1993 and 1994. Even if we are extremely generous and triple that sale niumber for the 1994-1995 period, that's quite the failure to sell. Someone dethroned the Jaguar and GX4000 :D

For ugly systems, I foudn that the onderswan, while maybe not ugly, looks VERY cheap :

1200px-WonderSwan-Black-Left.jpg

Those direction buttons looks taken from those bland and cheap "Brick games". Personnal taste, but I always found semi-transparent shells annoying. They are meant to add volume by adding more "content for the eyes" which is usually a way to hide a bland, featureless design. If your system doesn't look nice without a transparent shell, it's time to get back to the drawing board!

And about design, I know that this "wavy/curvy" design was all rage in the 90's, but it still feels cheap to me.

The Wonderswan looks like a PDA wannabe made on the cheap.

The color vversion did added solid shell, but made the button transparent, which is NOT an improvement at all :

dsc09614.jpg

You can also notice the select and start buttons indicated by those flat lines. It looks like it was copied from the Game Boy, that so 80's feature was on a console from 1999?

Get your stuff right, designers!

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Wow. I checked on Wikipedia, because I often heard of the FM Towns (Marty) but never really cared, and wow, that console was a failure. They quote the figire of 45 000 units sold between 1993 and 1994. Even if we are extremely generous and triple that sale niumber for the 1994-1995 period, that's quite the failure to sell. Someone dethroned the Jaguar and GX4000 :D

I suppose the fact that the Marty 2 despite a price drop cost 66,000 yen equal to 670 USD in 1994 has something to do with it. The Saturn released later that year was 45,000 yen and the PS1 cost 37,000 yen right at the end of the same year. It means that you almost could get two brand new consoles for the price of one that had been around for almost two years - or if the white Marty was released even earlier than what Wikipedia suggests as I found another source that speaks about 1991 rather than 1993. In any case, the Marty seems to rival the CD32 as which was the first 32-bit CD-ROM based games console, and whether a 68020 is more 32-bit than what a 80386 is.

The Supervision isn't helped much by the putrid "calculator green" plastic.

Heh, make me thing that the 3rd model, much rarer, managed to get the worst design :

supervision1.jpg

:D

The first model was maybe the best, after all :

58540b0f41726_WataraSupervision.jpg.c06f

A side note on technical side : lots of people that see that usually comment on how horrible that D-pad must be, but

- They probably didn't used the second model D pad which is awful because you can press the 4 directions very easily

- Almost no game on the Supervision require you to do diagonals, which make this "fake" D-pad acceptable.

- And I love that twist of irony that Nintendo's latest console come with this D-pad : 11396093-1014456083816249.jpg

:D

I Think the original Nintendo DS was really ugly. The revision looked so much better.

That reminds me someone brought one with him, and it looked in excellent shape. I picked up up and I was "heh, is that a Chinese shell replacement, or original.?"

It was original... tells you how the original DS feel, very flimsy :D

• Like 1

im sure this has been beaten to death, but i always wondered why the US got the (in my opinion) ugly/blocky SNES with the purple slide buttons on top.

Points for top loader, but the Super Famicom looked soooo much sexier.

Simple reason for the design of the SNES....a lot of people set drinks on the top of the NES deck and spilled them and did damage to the system. So Nintendo of America purposely designed the system to be angled so you couldn't do that.

I can't explain the purple buttons though. :)

• Like 1

I also thought the odyssey was ugly, but the NES console I always thought was ugly. couldn't they have done something other than a box?

i always loved the look of the NES so much more "fancy" and "modern" than previous consoles (part of the trojan horse to get stores to carry it post crash). looking at the famicom, it's much more standard and disappointing.

The American SNES looks awful, though. Always hated that redesign compared to the sleek super famicom.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking about the various European licences cloesn if systems, and one nightmare came to haunt me :

itt-telematch-processor-fairchild-channe

This is a Channel F clone.. and also the death of design.

Ther eis simply no imagination put into that, or heart, or feelings.

Il looks like ITT took the shell from a digital alarm clock and shoehorned a console in it.

• Like 1