IGNORED

HSC Season 9 - Game 1 - Star Strike

Ignorama

I am sorry that its so unfun for you, but I hope you still understand why Mode 4 wasnt an option.

I sent a list with titles for the next poll towards Scalpel and wait for his feedback. On that list there are much more fun games for sure, I guarantee that. But, as in the last poll, its up to you guys. As you hopefully remember I wasnt very happy with Star Strike from the beginning and than (unfortunately too late I guess) really suggested to not vote this game. But yeah, now we know that the game is not a good one for HSC, at least something.

I really want everyone to know something. I did not chose Mode 6 to troll anybody, or to underline my opinion about this game. I tried to explain why it was choosen and I stick with these statements. All the other modes are not playable as a HSC. It has nothing to do with "challenging" or something like that, like Mr-Me said in another thread. Sure other modes can be challenging as well, but its not the only point to qualify as a HSC game.

We have a wide spread of different players and we also often had in the past crazy duels, were two or more players pushed each other over the top. In all the other modes there is a "perfect game" and you just cant beat the perfect score. Sure it would be very hard to get the perfect game and probably no one had done it. But you also can't know that and exactly that is the reason why the only Arcade-Mode was choosen. Here is no perfect score. Every score can be beaten and thats what makes this challenge spicy a lot of the time. I don't know if the score will roll over at some point, but I am sure we are far, far away from that, so it doesnt really matter.

In the future I also will pick the best mode for the challenge over the most fun mode. Its bad that some are not happy with that organization, but my highest goal was to make a fair competition and picking the best mode to compete is part of that. I completely understand that it harms the fun for some people, but having a fair competition is the basic condition of having a fun HSC in my honest opinion.

That said: Please everyone understands that we have different titles to vote, but its not part of the poll which mode we play and how the scoring works. These are things I will often just find out by playing the game what probably wins. I try to find the best mode and best scoring system every time, but my focus in that matter is to have a fair competitive system.

I think I understand that you are looking for games with arcade style scoring for HSC; and the reason is to avoid perfect scores. But as been said by others, Astromash for example, wouldn't make a good HSC game because it is too easy. The Astromash variant with a timer might make a better HSC game. So challenging games are good. I didn't know most people could get perfect scores with Intellivision Bowling until they had the Intellivision bowling league. So Bowling might not make a good HSC game. What's a perfect game in Star Strike; how easy or difficult is it to achieve?

The Intellivision HSC needs more players, so letting players choose the skill level is not a bad idea. Keep in mind that many Intellivision games only have game speeds rather than skill level, some have only one speed with selectable skill levels, and others have a bit of both.

Does the lack of arcade scoring mean games like Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Space Battle, Auto Racing, Skiing, Golf, Snafu, Sub Hunt, Bomb Squad, Frog Bog, or Baseball won't be part of the HSC? Maybe some games are too easy, ie. most people getting perfect scores. HSC might help figure this out and the game can be excluded from future HSCs. And if once in a while top players get perfect scores then a tie is okay too.

Edit:

You might get better poll results if you ask that only those playing in the HSC cast a vote.

Edited by mr_me

I think I understand that you are looking for games with arcade style scoring for HSC; and the reason is to avoid perfect scores. But as been said by others, Astromash for example, wouldn't make a good HSC game because it is too easy. The Astromash variant with a timer might make a better HSC game.

That is simply not true. Astrosmash with timer would be completely aweful to be honest and the most unfair game we ever had in the HSC. First we can not check the timer and even if everyone wanted to play fair its nearly impossible to note the exact score when the timer ran out. Second: Its just a game of luck, because you can not influence the possible score. Even if you make a perfect game you not neccessarily won, because may another player just got much more targets and so got a higher score despite missing some. That would literaly the worsed HSC challenge in history.

It sounds harsh, but with your own example you have prooven your own statement completely wrong. Letting players choose the mode would lead to a strange situation and anything but a senseful competition. I dont know if it makes sense to discuss that further with you to be honest. It seems you just do not want to get the point. If you want to chose your own skill levels and modes I am not the right person to organize this thing, because I am sure the result would be a much worse competition. Its very simple: When I said I would do it I made clear under which conditions. These were not negotiable. When I do something, I have to do it as good as I can do and what you describe would be even worse as the past, which I really did not liked.

Edit: I explain the second part a bit more exakt. That does NOT mean that I completely ignore all statements. Believe it or not, I think about them and in the case of Star Strike I tried out all modes myself to check my decision. The statement above just ment that its no democracy to vote the mode, but it not means that I have the best idea in any case. If someone have a better one and I'll agree after testing it, his suggestion will be what is done. But as long as I organize the HSC, so at least this season, its not part of a poll which way we play the games. I also never noticed that it was in the past, so I wonder why now this seems to be a topic. Moderator started the games and named the settings. We had wrong decisions, like in Tropical Trouble, which were exposed by players (in that case me by the way, I am really not a complete scrub in this topic) and changed it, but the initial setting is defined by the moderator as long as I can remember.

To comment on your edit: I thought people would just vote if they want to play in the HSC. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see a way to ingore votes. Even if a player never played a round, may he will if his fave game is on the line. There is a core of HSC players, but the whole board could participate and so everyone has a vote that should count.

Edited by Ignorama

attachicon.gif100_4964.JPG

I never realized that this insane version even existed. Blood frackin' hell. Was about to give up until I figured out you need to fly pretty much how Luke and the rest of them did.

Very hectic and unrelenting game.

lol The Force is Strong with you Jedi, I have not broke the 650 point barrier... lol Well done

• Like 1

Thanks.

The Force is with me. I am one with The Force. :grin:

Once you get in sync with the enemy fighters it's doable. It's a matter of reflex and avoidance. Still frustrating and unyielding though. Elevates the stress levels a tad.

lol just a tad !!!

Sure that's about right times 1000.

Need a few drinks first then try again.

??

• Like 1

As I said all the time: It can escalate very quickly. I doubt that my actual score would win the challenge for me :)

Its a great score , time will tell. A week and half to go. I found that only playing at little increments and leaving for a while before the frustration sets in helps lol and don't forget the beer to calm you down a bit..

This run was pretty awesome. I said there is much more in the tank and here it is :D I was sure to beat 1.850, but this is really a huge step forwards and so I will see if I will beat that. It was a lot of luck with the enemies and even one huge mistake (steered in the wrong direction) was not punished.

But I still say: The score is good, no need to negate that, but it is still beatable. As I also said: In theory you can play the game infinite. The diffuculty does not increase, so if you can hit a few targets you also can hit thousands with a bit luck. So don't give up :)

post-35236-0-24513700-1510857107_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This run was pretty awesome. I said there is much more in the tank and here it is :D I was sure to beat 1.850, but this is really a huge step forwards and so I will see if I will beat that. It was a lot of luck with the enemies and even one huge mistake (steered in the wrong direction) was not punished.

But I still say: The score is good, no need to negate that, but it is still beatable. As I also said: In theory you can play the game infinite. The diffuculty does not increase, so if you can hit a few targets you also can hit thousands with a bit luck. So don't give up :)

Wow , awesome score ?? I would of never thought that high of a score was achievable

Well Done.

?

• Like 1

Thank you and its good to be back in HSC :D Its exactly what I missed. I love to compete in these old games, also in the not so good ones like Star Strike.

Lol

It's fun to compete , that's for sure.

I'm glad to be back competing as well.

Also playing /chatting about the games with all of you... ???