IGNORED

Flying Shark

Asmusr

If you want avoid the effect, you could use just two waves 4 pixels tall, going back and forth. Probably the best would be add a black line under the 3 lines now used for the first two waves.

If you can spend more time and tiles on the issue, the rule more or less would be that the crests of the waves plot a sine wave animated across the sea tiles.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. I have tried different versions and none of them really works well.

I have attached the 8 frames of animation of a single sea tile 8x8.

The proposal is to depict two sea waves "waving" in opposite directions

One across the left border of the tile, the other across the left right border of the tile

The first file has taller waves, the second smalls waves

sea.bmp

sea_2.bmp

Edited by artrag

I have attached the 8 frames of animation of a single sea tile 8x8.

The proposal is to depict two sea waves "waving" in opposite directions

One across the left border of the tile, the other across the left right border of the tile

The first file has taller waves, the second smalls waves

Thanks. The problem is that moving the waves every frame is way too fast for a pleasant result. This is what I have come up with in the meantime after several attempts. It is moving two lines at a time every 4 frames, only one pixel back and forth .

post-35226-0-13782300-1507372222.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have been agonizing over execution speed: Should the game scroll faster (30 or 20 frames per second (FPS)) when the graphics are simple, or scroll at a constant speed of 15 FPS and perhaps waste a lot of clock cycles? This decision has to be taken early because even though I have fixed the game loop at 30 FPS there's still the coordination with the background to consider. I ended up deciding in favor of the fixed frame rate with the hope that some of the clock cycles may be spent on sprite handling rather than busy waiting.

Anyway, a few more features and a few more enemies now. You can be hit but you respawn right after. Edit: and you get points for the few enemies there are.

Code is on GitHub now:

https://github.com/Rasmus-M/Flying-shark

flying-shark-8.bin

flying-shark.rpk

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful graphics and very smooth. Fantastic! One observation: on a few instances, there was a noticeable slowing down of the background music when the screen got busy. Is this fixable?

Yes apparently my "interrupt" routine runs over the frame. If I can't make it runs faster I need to call the sound player twice. The sound was just added today, so this is all experimental.

flying-shark-8.bin

• Like 4

I now have a VGA to HDMI converter and a EZCAP 280 video capture device, which has allowed me to record this video from real hardware.

Looking good. Adding more color and animation to the ZX game really adds a few nice dimensions.

The video capture is so crisp, that I assume the "real hardware" has the modern F18A replacing some of the original steel. ;)

Edited by sometimes99er

It's better and better! Thanks! :-D

Alas, I have no time to build a 512Kb pcb cartridge and I would like so much to use a real hardware for the demo. So, Ramus could you propose a floppy disk version? Thank you by advance !

A floppy disk version would require SAMS, and I'm not planning to go down that route. But when the game is finished it will be available on cartridge.

i loaded it to my FG99 for funsies and it's a really slick game. love the music!

Glad you like it, the music is just a proof of concept by now. All credits go to Tursi's audio player.

Here in the weekly version. New title screen, more enemies on level 1, life display, and some bug fixes.

Placing those enemies in the same way as the ZX Spectrum version takes forever, but I think it's worth it compared to random madness.

flying-shark-8.bin

• Like 7

I have been working on a title image based loosely on the arcade version.

Oh, I didn't know about the arcade. I think you somehow need to use more black, but then the original is also kind of muddy (without that much contrast). ;)

Incredible times when we went from Pac-Man in 1980 to stuff like Flying Shark in 1987. The first comparable to the TI-99/4A and the latter to the Amiga.

Edited by sometimes99er

Really I Like the how the game is updating ! thanks Rasmus !

I also watched some comparing videos and i must say that this version has lot of power compared at some other conversions.

The best one of the exist conversion of this game i think is the C64's one, i like the music and sound effects really near to the original arcade version.

about sound effects on the TI99 i think that the airplane gun's sound could be changed in something similar to a gun for an old airplane, the current FX remember me a laser, but it is not important anyway just my impression :P