IGNORED

Eric in Monsterland rev.5 beta

Retrospect

Good idea Sometimes99er .... hey I see you got past 3000 points. Well in the next update, the scoring is a little different, the standard 100 points per screen is gone, you just get what you're left with from the distance of the witch to the right hand of the screen, so if witch is half way over the screen, you get 128 points, but that's multiplied by the amount of lives you have!

The stars .... Yes, you make a good point there ... originally the game did have random placement of 16 stars, they were placed randomly and picked at random white or blue. I think I'll go back to that, rather than fixed? Yours looks better imo.

The update should be done at some point today or tomorrow. I'm tempted to try squeezing one more screen in somewhere too.

• Like 1

Here's what I shall consider the final release of this game.

Eric must rescue his fair maiden who is lost in Monsterland.

There just happens to be a friendly witch flying high in the sky on her broomstick, she challenges you

to beat her to the far side of the screen. The further away from the far side of the screen she is when you complete it, the more bonus points you get - and - the bonus points are then multiplied by your amount of lives. You also get your standard 100 points per screen.

Control is with Joystick 1 on real iron or arrow keys in emulation. Don't forget you can crouch as well as jump.

EA5 loading : Make sure you have the three files, MON, MOO and MOP in your DSK folder and type

DSK1.MON to load.

FIAD loading: Needs Extended Basic. Type RUN "DSK1.MONSTER" to load.

Monsterland EA5.zip

Monsterland.zip

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 5

Ralf Schmitz just kindly made this DSK which I would like to share. There's nearly all my games on here, minus the one's that were a bit crap. I probably needed a separate thread for this but I don't want to chock up the topics page.

Most games are keyboard control or joystick, "Bar-X" (might be retrox in the files) requires you to press 5 to insert coin, space to spin the reels, 1-2-3 for nudge and C to collect coins (it even makes the coin collect noise).

Freeway is a two-player game. Why did the chicken cross the road? Who knows but in this game you've to cross the freeway 10 times, beat your opponent, and you'll still be none the wiser. Based loosely on the Atari 2600 version.

Eric in Monsterland is on here, total joystick control, score & high score, beat the witch for a higher score - whilst avoiding critters and nasties in woodland and a haunted graveyard. Watch the ditches! Eric can't swim.

Agenda-99 is a plane city bomber game and as the title suggests, it provokes the idea of a worldwide political agenda whilst letting you bomb the shit out of anyone who doesn't have a "Rockstein" (purposely fictional) bank. There's a cheat in there. It's shift and something else, can't quite remember.

Doncaster Racecourse is a horse-racing game based in the UK with scrolling graphics. The horses race as though being filmed by camera rather than simply going left to right.

Subhunt .... Think this one's on the keys use S and D and Space to fire a missile at the enemy subs below. Watch out though 'cos if you keep missing, the darn thing gets higher up the water and eventually locks onto your ship and shoots at you! Score based on distance of sub when hit.

Castle Conquer .... Based on a game I had in the 80's of the same name but made more playable with animated sprites. Hunchback clone. The first in the "Eric" series.

Lego ... Using S & D for left/right and pressing the corresponding keys for the brick types, build something on the screen by pressing space to drop the object downwards ... the bricks stack up, pressing "U" on any column deletes the first brick it "sees" .. pressing C will clear the screen.

Compiled and fast.

Ghosthouse ... Whack the ghosts as they appear at the windows. Catch them nearly at the top of their scream. Press the corresponding keys for the windows.

Stranger ... You're in a drainage ditch ... there's a spider nearby ... this game was written by Mike Brent originally, and given extra graphical effects by me some time ago. It's a great little game.

Retrospect-ALL-RMS-03.zip

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 2

yeah cool games. If you start the DSK from XB, the LOAD will first lead to a small CATalog program.

But you have to enter the DSK# number first, because I didn´t find a way to determine that.

If given, I preferred to put the XB-Version (only) of the game into the DSK, to stay under 180 KB.

Agenda, Castle, Doncaster & Stranger have to be startet with Editor/Asssembler, Option #5

And I am working on a list ;)

• Like 1

Here's a video of a working prototype of Castle Conquer 2, I'd kept the file and the source apparently ...

The difference with this version is that it has a proper moat with parallax scrolling water! And Eric plops into the water when he falls.

Also I worked the witch into it, who races you for bonus points.

This was done between Castle conquer and Eric in Monsterland, there's elements of both games in it.

It might be worthy of a full game before Eric goes to Egypt, after all, that game is a long way off yet as it is a steep learning curve to get the new features in. Apologies for sideways video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugwR4voBe_8

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 4

The graphics are great! I love your use of dithering on the bricks.

cheers PeteE.

That dithering would probably benefit a standard CRT telly rather than what we see in emulation 'cos it kind of blends in more with the blur. :)

i'll be cracking on with more coding later.

That dithering would probably benefit a standard CRT telly rather than what we see in emulation 'cos it kind of blends in more with the blur. :)

I too love the feel of a good old CRT. The Classic99 emulator has a Filter Mode called TV Mode that does a pretty good approximation of the blur that you would see due to the composite video conversion. I think it looks better with scanlines disabled in the TV Filter Controls.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm still alive guys .. just been on a break lately. I love that cartridge with the label, it would be fantastic for my game to become more widely known / played. Eric in Monsterland is probably my best game to date, there will be another one though, in time.

I just got stuck because I wanted the next one to be a proper platform game and even after trying samples of code from here, I was still stuck. I think a true platformer is something more viable with pure assembly rather than XB. But you never know, I might succeed one day :)

• Like 1

I'm still alive guys .. just been on a break lately. I love that cartridge with the label, it would be fantastic for my game to become more widely known / played. Eric in Monsterland is probably my best game to date, there will be another one though, in time.

I just got stuck because I wanted the next one to be a proper platform game and even after trying samples of code from here, I was still stuck. I think a true platformer is something more viable with pure assembly rather than XB. But you never know, I might succeed one day :)

Cart is now on arcadeshopper :)

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1