IGNORED

The Compact Computer 40 (CC40)

OK, burned a quick ROM.

With the various switches, Electronics, Finance, Games 1, MATH, and Stats work (run "contents"), but I don't know how to start Memo Processor or Pascal, and there are two slightly different versions of Pascal in the archive.

Still, the ROM cart works.

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks. your PASCAL image and the Memo Processor work. the PASCAL.zip pascal image does not work, and I see some differences in the compare. I burned a new FLASH ROM with Editor Assembler, but need to go find the manual to figure out how to start it (contents and editor do not work).

it looks like you cannot flip banks while the device is on. Interesting.

Here is a pic of the working unit.

Jim

post-29128-0-76457900-1511658594_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hmm, anyone have the ROM images for the games and utils that were in this archive:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226295-cc-40-roms-all-dumped/

Yep, I do. I’m one of the ones that helped the coder get the MESS emulation up and running. That’s my thread. See if Walid or Atrax on here can email them to you. I won’t be home until Monday to get to them.

Warning, there was a strangeness with one of the 8K banks being out of order. I’ll have to pull up my notes. Lee had proto dumping hardware that rearranged 8K from a different part of the PROM into the cart space compared to what I read out (in memory space order.). Mine are dumped in memory space order.

• Like 1

For posterity, the reason dumped cart images differ depending on method is due to the weird way TI put the ROMs in the memory map.

Obviously, dumping a ROM via programmer/reader will yield the correct ROM image.

If you dump from BASIC or assembly, look at the memory map for guidance.

The 32kB external space starts at >5000. For purposes of this discussion, you can ignore the bottom 3 hex digits, so we're starting at "page" 5 in memory, or 0101 in binary

0101 :memory page 5, and we consider this page 0 of the image

0110 :6/1

0111 :7/2

1000 :8/3

1001 :9/4

1010 :A/5

1011 :B/6

1100 :C/7

Now, understand that the top address bit (bit a15) is not connected to the ROM. Thus, on the above addresses, skip the first digit:

101 :5/0

110 :6/1

111 :7/2

000 :page 8 in cc40 memory map and page 3 in our image memory map , but to the EPROM, it looks like page 0

001 :1/4

010 :2/5

011 :3/6

100 :4/7

Thus ROM image address >0000 will sit at position >3000 in the MEMORY map relative to that start of the image, which is >5000, or >8000 in the cc40 memory map

Thus, to convert an image read by a program to one read by a ROM reader, you have to do the following calculation:

ROM dump address = MEMORY dump address - 0x3000 mod 0x8000 or

ROM dump address = MEMORY dump address + 0x5000 mod 0x8000 or

MEMORY dump address = ROM dump address + 0x3000 mod 0x8000

Since 0x3000 = 3 * 4096, or 12K, that's the 12K offset Acadiel noticed in his memory dump data.

Not sure if TI used this as a weak copy protection scheme (can't think of any better reason to do this at present), or something else, but it just makes things ever so slightly more weird in the memory map.

• Like 2

Hi Jim,

I did some measurements on my 16K memory cart.

The distance from the top edge to the center

Of the post hole is 2 and 7/10 MM ( with cart IC chip

Face up and contact edge toward you )

The distance from contact edge to center hole is

2 and 1/10 MM

The distance from Right hand side to center

Of the post hole is 2 and 2/10 MM

The distance from Left hand side to center

Of the Post hole is 2 and 1/10 MM

Seems the Post hole is just 1/10 MM off

From right to left .

Center hole is #7 tap drill size

Hope this helps

Lee TI998owner

Just to clarify.

the entire cart height is 4.8cm (not mm, surely)

(and, is it truly 4.8, or 4.7, as helocat measured 2.699cm as total height. Just trying to be as precise as I can)

width is 4.3cm total? helocat measured 4.318cm, so this seems very close.

On the tap, can you provide a reference on #7? I am not so fmailiar with tap drill sizes, and it was unclear if you meant #7M (metric) or #7STD, as #7M is 6.1mm, and #7STD is 13/64", as I gather from online sources.

Jim

Good morning Jim,

Well I rechecked what I wrote , and also

The cart board . Don't know why the MM

Replaced the CM . But the CM is the correct

Measure.

About the drill size , 7/32 inch standard drill

Reference the #7 tap drill set or .201 as listed

On the drill box case set. Only reason for using

That reference was to give a better size compare.

Sorry for any confusion on the listing, but sometime

The spell checker on this Amazon Fire causes some

Trouble with spelling it has a habit of adding or

Changing words on the fly.

Hope this helps

Lee TI998owner

• Like 1

Since I'm used to both the international system for measurements (SI-system) and industrial manufacturing, I can tell you that in the SI-system, case is also important.

So millimeters is mm, nothing else. In manufacturing, drawings are always in mm, regardless of the size of the object to be manufactured. Houses, airplanes, trains are in mm, just as USB sticks and sewing needles. The unit is never given on the drawing, as it's always the same. You also never write 2 and 1/10 mm, but 2.1 mm.

MM is MegaMega, CM CoulombMega. None of them make any sense.

Today, it's only Liberia, Burma and the USA who hasn't officially adopted the SI-system. Great Britain has some exceptions too, even if they officially are metric.

Edited by apersson850

I took my precision caliper out. I’m showing that the bottom of the screw hole is 0.75 inches (19.05mm) from the tip of the fingers. The diameter of the hole is 0.2 inches or 5.08mm. The board from top to tip of fingers is 1.9 inches or 48.26mm. The top of the hole is 0.95” or 24.13mm from the top of the board.

You can definitely tell they used inches on this thing and not mm. And yeah, the hole is off-center left to right. I measured it three times to make sure.

ab885545cfb7b6010de77eb081383a06.jpg

• Like 3

helocat, can you verify your measurements, as shown here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255728-the-compact-computer-40-cc40/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3874161

You have the cart PCB as 1.85" high, but acadiel has it as 1.9" (.95 + .75 + .2)

Less, can you verify your measurements as well. You noted 4.8cm on the height, which is 1.89 (~1.9), which I think agrees more with acadiel's numbers. But, you have the hole at .826" from the bottom, while acadiel has it at .85, and his upper measurement is different by a similar amount.

Every seems to agree on the width, 1.7", 1.7", and 4.3cm or 1.692"

Jim

Jim

Edited by brain

Hi Jim,

Well , I check and rechecked using several

Copies of the same type of 16k CC-40 memory

Cart. All of them have same part number

1044515-4 and also each measure the same.

This time in INCHES.

The cart is 1 and 29/32 inch tall or 4.8 Cm

The cart is 1 and 23/32 inch wide or 4.4 Cm

From top edge of Cart to top edge of center hole 31/32 or 2.5 Cm

From Contact finger edge to bottom of center hole 24/32 or 3/4 inch or 1.9 Cm

And the center hole is 7/32 inch drill or #7 tap drill or .201

Hopefully this helps

By the way. Texas instruments sold Private version,s

Of the CC-40 carts, burned with other company,s

Software. Those carts are the same size, but

The center hole is located closer to the top

Of the cart and with dual 27c64 chips

Lee TI998owner

Sorry to interrupt all this tech talk, but I am really happy to see that some exciting developments are being made for this machine. I bought one awhile back and was a bit disappointed (although not surprised) to find that it really needs more accessories to have it be all that useful and fun. Can't wait until a multicart, RAM expansion cart and a true storage device are available for it. Thanks to all who are working on this project~!

• Like 2