IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

I recently found out that Adam Gilmore ported the music of one of my favorite PC games "simon the sorcerer" back in the nineties.

Which lead me to scroll through some nice written interviews out there, but ....none from Kevin or Randy.

A8bits were a big thing for Adam I believe... I hope he is somewhere on your interviewing list!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Reinhart, Yahtman

Dan Reinhart published one program for the Atari 8-bit computers: Yahtman, a Yahtzee-style game that was published by Atari Program Exchange. Yahtman first appeared in the winter 1982-1983 APX catalog.
This interview took place on August 28, 2017. In it, we discuss Paul Cubbage, whom I previously interviewed.
"Paul [Cubbage] had said, 'You know, you have good potential at this sort of thing but you really need to choose: are you going to keep building earth movers and equipment? Or do you want to live in programming and doing games?' ... And as it turns out, I chickened out."

I played a few rounds of Yahtman, it's a _very_ well made Yahtzee clone! Lots of great little touches. :)

-Thom

• Like 2

Guy Ferrante, S&S Wholesalers and Star BBS

Guy Ferrante worked for S&S Wholesalers, a Miami Florida-based computer mail order company, where he was in charge of creating magazine advertisements and managing the warehouse. He also ran Star BBS, a bulletin board system based in South Florida, for 11 years.
This interview took place on August 25, 2017.
"There's merchandise all over the place. I can't even walk in there. I'm stepping on the merchandise. ... And I said, 'Sandy, what's going on here?' He says, 'Guy, the advertisement was a success, I need you here full time.'"
post-803-0-88443100-1510244033_thumb.png
  • Like 5

Guy Ferrante, S&S Wholesalers and Star BBS

Guy Ferrante worked for S&S Wholesalers, a Miami Florida-based computer mail order company, where he was in charge of creating magazine advertisements and managing the warehouse. He also ran Star BBS, a bulletin board system based in South Florida, for 11 years.
This interview took place on August 25, 2017.
"There's merchandise all over the place. I can't even walk in there. I'm stepping on the merchandise. ... And I said, 'Sandy, what's going on here?' He says, 'Guy, the advertisement was a success, I need you here full time.'"

It sound like from the interview that Mr. Ferrante would enjoy hanging out here.

Allan

• Like 2

Alan Reeve, Reeve Software

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-311-alan-reeve-reeve-software

Alan Reeve is the founder of Reeve Software, a company that stated in 1984, creating software for the Atari 8-bit computers. Reeve Software published a variety of applications including Diamond GOS, News Station and News Station Companion, Publishing Pro, The Business Manager, and Diamond Write. The company's games included Battle Tank, Bomber, Castle Attack, Space Hunt, and Star Intruder.
post-803-0-24414300-1510772246.gif
  • Like 8

Paul Wehner, APX Saratoga

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-312-paul-wehner-apx-saratoga

Paul Wehner created one program for the Atari 8-bit computer, Saratoga, which was published by Atari Program Exchange. The American revolutionary war game first appeared in the fall 1983 APX catalog, where it won second prize in the Entertainment category.

post-803-0-24268400-1511021472.gif

• Like 4

Alan Reeve, Reeve Software

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-311-alan-reeve-reeve-software

Alan Reeve is the founder of Reeve Software, a company that stated in 1984, creating software for the Atari 8-bit computers. Reeve Software published a variety of applications including Diamond GOS, News Station and News Station Companion, Publishing Pro, The Business Manager, and Diamond Write. The company's games included Battle Tank, Bomber, Castle Attack, Space Hunt, and Star Intruder.

In your conversation with Alan about source code and programs being released, it was stated that News Station was not among those programs released.

This is not the case. Both a compiled version and the source code for Diamond News Station were made available in the archive of recovered programs posted by AA user Bob1200XL on behalf of Alan.

I put together a disk that contains News Station and various printer drivers for it and have it up for download on my website. I also put together a short PDF manual and a disk with 25 additional fonts for use with News Station (and other Diamond GOS applications).

Diamond News Station v1.0

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

That's great! I didn't know that. I feel like there might be a lot of great source code and other unique stuff that's basically invisible because it's only posted in a message board. If it's something is on Archive.org, or not linked on AtariAge, that thing can be impossible to find or even know about.

This is not the case. Both a compiled version and the source code for Diamond News Station were made available in the archive of recovered programs posted by AA user Bob1200XL on behalf of Alan.

That's great! I didn't know that. I feel like there might be a lot of great source code and other unique stuff that's basically invisible because it's only posted in a message board. If it's something is on Archive.org, or not linked on AtariAge, that thing can be impossible to find or even know about.

Yes, things get hidden here on AA too, since it's not structured like an archive.

Here's the post where all the Diamond GOS materials are: Alan Reeve - Diamond GOS Files

• Like 3

Frank Schwartz and Richard Lewis, Virtusonics

Last last year, I received a batch of Atari disks. One of the disks was labeled Virtuoso Play Mode Sampler — a music demonstration disk from Virtusonics, a company I had never heard of.
Thanks to some old articles in Antic magazine, I learned a bit about the product and the company. In 1985, Nat Friedland first wrote about the Virtuoso software: "Virtuoso is such a unique new approach to musicmaking that it's not easy to describe. ... Virtuoso gives you a user-friendly method of tapping the extremely fast and powerful changes that a computer can control in every aspect of music performance. It bypasses the limits of traditional musical notation and uses an almost self-explanatory color graphic display that delivers mathematical insights into the structure of music. ... In technical terms, Virtuoso is a sound generator that produces four voices from the POKEY chip. You can make instant real-time changes in the voices in any of six parameters. Four computers running Virtuoso can be linked together to have up to 16 independent channels controlled by one Atari."
Virtusonics was primarily three people: Frank Schwartz, the programmer; Joseph Lyons, the music guy; and Richard Lewis, the CEO. I have interviewed two of them. First you'll hear my February 15, 2017 interview with the programmer/R&D director Frank Schwartz. Then, you'll hear the February 10, 2017 interview with CEO Richard Lewis. I haven't been able to interview the other partner, Joseph Lyons, who is serving 24 years to life in prison.
After our interview, Richard Lewis sent me an envelope of Virtusonics papers and disks. The material includes the preliminary version of Virtuoso Software, and the final release which by then was called Virtuoso Desktop Performance Studio, boxes, manuals, flyers and advertising slicks, and stock prospectuses. I scanned and digitized all of the material, which is now available at the Internet Archive.
Teaser quotes:
Frank Schwartz: "Change the curvature of the sine wave just via software. And that was a concept which was revolutionary in those days."
Richard Lewis: "We were criticized by a lot of the top names in computers back in the '80s. As, how that this small company in an apartment in New York City come up with something that we've been working on for years and we cant do?"
Lots of great relevant links in the show notes.
post-803-0-93255400-1511279333_thumb.png
Edited by Savetz
  • Like 3

Randall Lockwood, Choose-A-Pooch

There's an article in the August 1984 issue of Family Computing magazine, by Bill Camarda — Behind The Screens: Family Dog. It's about Choose-A-Pooch, an Atari computer program created by Dr. Randall Lockwood, to help match people with the breed of dog that will work best in their living situation.
I interviewed Dr. Lockwood on November 10, 2017.
"Trying to get away from the fact that people were often choosing dogs based more on just appearance, without knowing that much about the breed."
post-803-0-53684700-1511555416.png
  • Like 3

Sarah Haskell, Computerized Weaving

There's a column in the November 1983 issue of Family Computing magazine, by Jon Zonderman: "Home Business — Compute, Control, and Create. A weaver combines the traditional skills of her craft with a computer and reaps more than one reward."
The article is about Sarah Haskell, a weaver who used an Atari computer to design patterns for weaving, and also to computer-control her loom.
My interview with Sarah took place on November 13, 2017.
Teaser quote: "But with the electronic system, you did not have to get down on the floor and physically re-configure all of the treadles with these little metal hook things. You would basically just change it."
post-803-0-21960200-1511797026_thumb.jpg
  • Like 4

Dave Comstock: E.T. Phone Home!, Superman III, Cloak & Dagger

Dave Comstock worked at Atari from 1980 through 1984, first as a software and hardware tester, then as a programmer. Dave worked on three games for the Atari 8-bit computers: E.T. Phone Home!, Superman III, and Cloak and Dagger.
This interview took place on November 8, 2017.
"He said 'We've got to go out tonight, and it has to be a comedy.' ... He's like, 'I have something to tell you, and if I tell you we could both be fired.'"
A video version of this interview is also available.
  • Like 7