IGNORED

Mini Arcade Alert!

simbalion

That is the coldest trolling of them all. Coleco should have just stayed dead. :(

I'll take that back if one it is real, and two it hits the market.

Coleco is like a damn virus. It's never truly dead as when you think it's gone, it's simply invaded a new host.

Maybe there's still hope for Rainbow Brite after all. I will buy one RB unit. To show my support for Bob. That's it.

• Like 1

Oh by the way that Robotech game, looking at the washed out intentional image of the screen I can recognize that game. It looks to be Robotech the Macross Saga for the Gameboy Advance. Compounding that the interesting button array on the fake coleco down to the same button alignment of a GBA put into the front panel whereas Y and X would be originally L and R.

• Like 1

\The little stick is about the size of those old NES wrap around super controllers which had a joystick mushroom on it and the outer most button is fairly close in distance. I think it would be ok. I haven't found a picture of Joust turned on but I haven't looked yet either today so I have no idea if it's 7800 or NES release. Rampage is very much looking like the NES though from the shot I was given.

I forgot to mention, also Defender! Each of those NOACs they do have 2 games inside, so there's a video on faebook of Defender being bridged out of Joust, but oddly no one has poking a metal stick at Rampage yet. Anyone want to float a guess on that? Data East handled that on on the NES, but since they're doing their own mini arcades I'd think Burgertime and friends would be out. Spy Hunter?

23621602_10212438025683089_8543956503265

Dang, local Wal-Mart didn't have the Joust or Rampage. But I picked up a Frogger. Tested the Asteroids, and plays like an LED game with fixed points for the ship around the center, no thanks.

Oh wow, Rampage and Joust now!? That's pretty cool... wonder where this series of mini games will go next?

Regarding Asteroids, I remember BITD either on the 2600 or watching people play the arcade, how some would just "sit and spin" in the middle and never thrust away. Laughed out loud when I saw this mini arcade replicate that sad gameplay. :lol:

Oh wow, Rampage and Joust now!? That's pretty cool... wonder where this series of mini games will go next?

Regarding Asteroids, I remember BITD either on the 2600 or watching people play the arcade, how some would just "sit and spin" in the middle and never thrust away. Laughed out loud when I saw this mini arcade replicate that sad gameplay. :lol:

Heh, guilty as charged back in the day. I was like 10 years old. Using thrust was for "good" players!

This was at the arcade. Had an uncle that would play until he got bored, then would let one of us kids take over with the top line full of extra ships. They would get depleted quickly!

With the 2600 version we'd finally use the thrust. :)

• Like 1

Yeah. Unfortunately the Asteroids is by far the worst one of the bunch. When I heard they were making it, I figured it would be good. There's tons of good ports they could run on the LCD screens. Then they went and did that.

I just don't know what some people are thinking.

I have it, if you go into it knowing what's there and accept it, it's pretty fun. But I was mad as hell about it when it was shown off. I was figuring since they lifted Asteroids 7800 NES hack off that old flashback from ages ago, since Asteroids was (7800 ver) on the same device they'd just apply that and go for it. But no, it's more like a dumb tower defense/old pc turret fire until you die game instead.

I saw a Ms Pacman Plug and Play at Bed Bath and Beyond the other day, and got exited until I looked at the screenshots on the boxart. Namco Ms Pacman running on an NOAC chip. Not at all like the quality multi-in-one arcade ports they used to make.

Also a Centipede minicab shaped exactly like last years Pacman and Space Invaders LCD, but with colors. It reminded me of the old VFD Colecos.

Ok, I nabbed Rampage and Joust today and they are fun games. What is odd is that they are numbered 8 and 10. What happened to number 9? Does it exist and what game is it?

It's Defender. It's already hiding in there too, if you bridge 2 points within Joust it's in the same storage chip. The game though needs 3 buttons, so if you did surgery and lifted that chip into the Rampage cabinet, you'll get the use of button 3 for smart bombs.

• Like 1

Most of the "arcade" roms that on these bridge direct units are direct copies from various bootleg NES multicarts. So far I've found remnants of these multicart menus from the EEPROM dumps I've done from both the Centipede/QBert model and the Rampage model. Both have "380 in 1" and "4 in 1" menu tiles in the CHR area of each. I did manage to extract the qbert rom from the EEPROM dump and play it via FCEUX and Nintendulator as well. Next stop is buying another frogger and joust to see what I can find.

• Like 2

It's Defender. It's already hiding in there too, if you bridge 2 points within Joust it's in the same storage chip. The game though needs 3 buttons, so if you did surgery and lifted that chip into the Rampage cabinet, you'll get the use of button 3 for smart bombs.

Hmm, I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. It's odd that the sort of skipped over a number with the releases. I haven't seen or heard of a Defender anywhere until now.

Hmm, I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. It's odd that the sort of skipped over a number with the releases. I haven't seen or heard of a Defender anywhere until now.

Enjoy, proof of concept

It shows the how, then it in action. Screwdriver (or whatever metal) to bridge the 2 points on J1 on the board and you get Defender, uncouple back to Joust. People have already jumped the gun being impatient and hacked that setup into a Rampage cabinet because the game supports 3 buttons for smart bombs which Joust can't do with 2. They've even taken to making a new sticker full body set for Rampage to make it a complete job.

I will wait for the release, I treasure these mini arcades.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

The only Q*bert and Centipede games I've seen are the cheaper versions with static LED figures instead of a full LCD screen

post-47842-0-77772200-1511989413_thumb.jpg

post-47842-0-74243900-1511989437.jpg

After some comparison, it turns out that the screen on Q*Bert has an almost identical layout to the 1983 Parker Bros. version

EDIT: I just realised Kosmic Stardust mentioned the cheaper Centipede

Edited by Jumpman1981

Ugh. I was gonna go for Joust but...nope. That version is absolute garbage.

I guess if I see it on clearance I'd grab one for shelf candy but I'm running out of shelves.

So they didn't even use the licensed Joust NES port? What a ripoff...

Especially considering previous era plug-and-play units licensed by Namco had multiple arcade games and faithful ports, with minimal formatting to provide landscape mode. Now they are selling plug and plays with single bootleg NES ROMs (presumably under license from Namco and others) on an NOAC chip for essentially the same price or higher. That to me is not a good deal. The Namco 35th Pacman joystick, and the much older Ms PAcman with the rotating shaft for Pole Position, were far better value IMO. Aside from patterns not working in Pacman and the formatting to landscape mode, the gameplay was essentially arcade perfect.

When I first heard about the Tiny Arcades I was meh. Same with the ones from Walmart, made by Basic Fun. Then my son discovered some youtube videos and announced he wanted some for Christmas. I looked around, watched some vids and reviews and decided I'm in, haha. I haven't gotten the order delivered yet but I've got 3/4 of the Tiny Arcade coming from Amazon via Purse using Bitcoin. Missing Ms. Pac-Man there. From the local Walmart I scored Q-Bert, Centipede, and Frogger. They had Asteroids and as much as I'd like that one I passed on the static LCD screen. Now looking without much luck for Joust and Rampage.

The son likes to collect things but now I'm the one getting obsessed with getting them all, heh.

Has anyone popped for the RepliCade Centipede? Too rich for me but I have to say they look pretty sweet.