IGNORED

Dig Dug (1983) - Graphic Improvements

MrFish

This one seems to be in bitmap mode then here it's seems possible to use the Missiles on our guy in 5th Player mode taking the PF3 colour that isn't present on the game, right?

Yes, this uses bitmapped mode. I'll go out on a limb again and say that in this case I'd bet they're already using the missiles as the 5th player, since this does use a multiplexer, and it wouldn't make sense not to use it since it would lessen the amount of flicker. That doesn't mean they couldn't be repurposed, but then you'd be adding flicker to a game that already has quite a bit on the later levels when there are many enemies present.

Edited by MrFish

• 1 month later...

A few minor changes, done a couple days after the last version was posted:

1. Pukas gained weight

2. Rock breaking animation improved

I decided the Pukas didn't look as bad as I'd initially thought after making them a little thicker vertically. I think I was just accustomed to them they way they were before, and also thought the feet didn't look as good this way (when up against the body). But I've gotten used to it now, and I think it's an improvement.

First attempts at improving the rock breaking animation. I also (necessarily) fixed some problems with how the animated rocks were masked.

Still lots to do, but this is gonna sit for a while now...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Coming to this thread late. Cool stuff.

BTW it's Pooka, not Puka ;) I was in charge of all the classic Namco IP for mobile for a few years, so I know these things hee hee.

To my eye the upper ghost eye version of the Pooka is more correct in the original graphics than in the updated version in the comparison chart. The melon slice ought to be slightly thicker vertically.

Edited by Big_Mo

Coming to this thread late. Cool stuff.

BTW it's Pooka, not Puka icon_wink.gif I was in charge of all the classic Namco IP for mobile for a few years, so I know these things hee hee.

To my eye the upper ghost eye version of the Pooka is more correct in the original graphics than in the updated version in the comparison chart. The melon slice ought to be slightly thicker vertically.

Thanks!

Yeah, I was calling them the correct name on the first page. At least I didn't call them Puko's. icon_mrgreen.gif

You're right about the "open eye" version of the Puko ghost, I mean Pooka ghost. I originally had them closer to the arcade, but didn't like how the animation looked, so I took a liberty there.

The melon slice will look different on an NTSC system -- as in taller. So the comparison chart is approximately what it looks like on a PAL system. I'm not doing any compensations for PAL/NTSC in terms of aspect ratio. Colors of course are another matter, but nothing has been done in that regard yet.

Edited by MrFish

• 1 year later...

Started working on this some again...

I also got this title screen from the in-game about done, but IDK... the artwork looks a little bit weird to me (logo is fine).

post-6369-0-21097700-1512548739_thumb.png

I know it's supposed to look a little rough and it also has a particular Japanese touch and humor; but I was thinking about working on something else.

The marquee has some similar imagery, so maybe I'll skip on that...

post-6369-0-41766800-1512548764_thumb.png

Maybe just the logo that follows the marquee style, which I find pretty cool:

post-6369-0-90492800-1512548780_thumb.png

Maybe I can put the last one in a separate screen that comes up before the one I'm currently finishing...

• Like 8

I always hated the arcade Dig Dug title screen, it looks.... weird. Still, it is a nice copy of it though.

The main reason I might leave it in is for authenticity.

It's definitely better than what the 8-Bit version has right now.

The cab side has some pretty cool images; although, vertically stacked art doesn't work as well for the 8-Bit's screen.

post-6369-0-51989500-1512575960.png

The hose in that image looks like an umbilical cord on Fygar.

• Like 1

I like the tulips on that bezel. I’m Dutch, I like tulips...... :D :D

Seriously.....keep it as close to the arcade games as possible, whatever you may think of it. IMHO arcade conversions should be as close as posisbele to the arcade games....

Awesome work, again !!!!

• Like 2

I like the tulips on that bezel. I’m Dutch, I like tulips...... :D :D

Seriously.....keep it as close to the arcade games as possible, whatever you may think of it. IMHO arcade conversions should be as close as posisbele to the arcade games....

Awesome work, again !!!!

I'll just share where I'm at with it now.

Finally got around to working on Dig Dug himself.

I've also made improvements to the enemies.

Still work to do on the death frames -- for all characters -- in getting them into the new styles.

Dig Dug (1983) test 12-5-2017.xex

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 6

Good evening Mr. Fish.

Why you called yourself Fish ? Any reason why ? I do like your intro arkwork from the original Dig-Dug ...

But not in playing mode there ....

You did sent upgrade in "playing mode" level 1 , better than photo on XEGS Original Box. I thought you were working on this issue which you did sent an photo of photoshop - Level 1 ?

Good evening Mr. Fish.

Good evening Mr. Piggle.

Why you called yourself Fish ? Any reason why ?

It's an old nickname of mine...

I do like your intro arkwork from the original Dig-Dug ...

Thanks.

But not in playing mode there ....

Well, I guess this update isn't for you then.

You did sent upgrade in "playing mode" level 1 , better than photo on XEGS Original Box. I thought you were working on this issue which you did sent an photo of photoshop - Level 1 ?

Yes, I did, but that mockup has nothing to do with this update.