IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

Guy Ferrante, S&S Wholesalers and Star BBS

Guy Ferrante worked for S&S Wholesalers, a Miami Florida-based computer mail order company, where he was in charge of creating magazine advertisements and managing the warehouse. He also ran Star BBS, a bulletin board system based in South Florida, for 11 years.
This interview took place on August 25, 2017.
"There's merchandise all over the place. I can't even walk in there. I'm stepping on the merchandise. ... And I said, 'Sandy, what's going on here?' He says, 'Guy, the advertisement was a success, I need you here full time.'"

I bought my 130XE from them in 1987 when I was 15! The salesman's name was D.P. I remember that he disappeared for about twenty minutes after I made my request, went upstairs, and came back with a rather battered box. Great prices, though! There was zilch in the way of an Atari A8 retail presence in South Florida at the time, so aside from the second-hand market, it was S&S or literally nothing.

Dave Comstock, part 2
A couple of days after our interview, Dave Comstock (who worked at Atari on E.T. Phone Home, Superman III, and Clock & Dagger) e-mailed me saying he had remembered more stories from his Atari days. So we set up a second interview.
This interview took place on November 14, 2017.
“The project team was actually treated to a meal with Ray Kassar and some other executives in the executive dining room … it was like, one of the fanciest restaurants that you’ve ever been to.”

Video version of this interview:
  • Like 3

Please direct Dave to Space Harrier, Tempest, Jim Slide XL etc etc etc... and GTIA beepers as well. or at least the youtube videos :)

Not the first time you've heard these stories... do you ever get the idea it's fast and loose, party, copy, distribute, do a crippled version under contract then sell a better version under your own company name, oblivious... that sort of thing. How many working on the dream independent project instead of the task at hand...

lol the second mention of mad sex in the hallway, but wasn't just in the hallway at Atari...

Unusual Atari ways... :)

Awesome Agent X Cloak & Dagger, gotta let somebody dump the roms and document the machine for possible restoration, re-creation. Museum worthy even.

• Like 1

Richard Taylor, Digital Devices Corporation

Richard Taylor was an employee of Digital Devices Corporation. DDC built a number of adapters for the Atari 8-bit computers — it's most well-known product was probably APE-FACE, an inexpensive ($90) device that connected the Atari's SIO port to standard parallel printers. The company's other products included UPRINT, a printing buffer; and the Ape-Link Serial Peripheral Input/Output Expansion Cable.
Richard's job? He said in an AtariAge message board message "I was the warranty repair department, shipping department, prototype builder, janitor, etc. while I was going to Georgia Tech in 1984/85."
Teaser quote: "The printer buffer was just a huge hit. It blew me away. Wow, look, it'll take it all in 10 or 20 seconds and just sit there and spool it out to the printer!"
  • Like 3

Dave Comstock, part 2
A couple of days after our interview, Dave Comstock (who worked at Atari on E.T. Phone Home, Superman III, and Clock & Dagger) e-mailed me saying he had remembered more stories from his Atari days. So we set up a second interview.
“The project team was actually treated to a meal with Ray Kassar and some other executives in the executive dining room … it was like, one of the fanciest restaurants that you’ve ever been to.”

Video version of this interview:

I found "DONAHUE,PAUL D" in the 1983 Atari telephone directory below:

http://www.jmargolin.com/history/adir83.txt

Plus Dave maybe in-correct about who else worked on E.T.

http://www.steveenglehart.com/games/E.T.%20(computer).html

http://www.steveenglehart.com/Games%20index.html

Allan

• Like 1

Sarah Haskell, Computerized Weaving

There's a column in the November 1983 issue of Family Computing magazine, by Jon Zonderman: "Home Business — Compute, Control, and Create. A weaver combines the traditional skills of her craft with a computer and reaps more than one reward."
The article is about Sarah Haskell, a weaver who used an Atari computer to design patterns for weaving, and also to computer-control her loom.
My interview with Sarah took place on November 13, 2017.
Teaser quote: "But with the electronic system, you did not have to get down on the floor and physically re-configure all of the treadles with these little metal hook things. You would basically just change it."

Finally, a port of "Loom" for the A8! No, seriously, that programme would be a most...unusual addition to atarimania. I wonder if she still has her original program?

• Like 1

Finally, a port of "Loom" for the A8! No, seriously, that programme would be a most...unusual addition to atarimania. I wonder if she still has her original program?

I asked her, and she doesn't. I emailed the company (which is still in business) but no reply.

• Like 2

Do you have their address? I could print up a letter on my XMM801 and send it via actual mail. I wonder what they'd do with THAT? :P

By the way, are there any plans for interviews with anyone formerly associated with ANALOG magazine? It was there...and then it was gone, just like that. What happened?

I'd also love to know what the hell happened with ROM magazine. It was great...for all of the five or so issues it lasted.

Do you have their address? I could print up a letter on my XMM801 and send it via actual mail. I wonder what they'd do with THAT? :P

By the way, are there any plans for interviews with anyone formerly associated with ANALOG magazine? It was there...and then it was gone, just like that. What happened?

I'd also love to know what the hell happened with ROM magazine. It was great...for all of the five or so issues it lasted.

There have been many ANALOG Computing magazine interviews.

https://playermissile.com/podcast/ep004.html

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-18-the-atari-8-bit-podcast-lee-pappas-analog

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-142-clayton-walnum-analog-computing-and-st-log

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-146-arthur-leyenberger-atari-columnist

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-48-tom-hudson-analog

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-6-the-atari-8-bit-podcast-diane-gaw-editor-analog

-Kevin

• Like 1

Linda Schreiber: T.H.E.S.I.S. Software and author

Linda Watson-Call is better known to Atari users as Linda Schreiber, which was her name at that time. Linda was the founder of T.H.E.S.I.S. Software, an educational software publisher for the Atari 8-bit and Apple II computers. The company was best known for her game, Big Math Attack. She wrote several books about the Atari 8-bit computers: Atari Programming with 55 Programs, Advanced Programming Techniques for your Atari, and Atari Fun & Games: Discover New Heights in Game-Playing Excitement on Any Atari, as well as books about the TI 99/4A and Atari ST computers. She also wrote the Education column in very early editions of Antic magazine.
This interview took place on November 25, 2017.
"Oh my gosh, I was like kicking out a program every other month. That was a lot of coding."
post-803-0-25810200-1512659971.gif
  • Like 7

Tay Vaughan, Atari Connection and Antic magazines

Tay Vaughan used Atari computers in his school for maritime skills and as a marine surveyor. He was featured in that capacity in a 1983 Atari catalog "Atari Home Computers — The Next Generation." Next, he was hired by Atari and was an editor of The Atari Connection magazine, where he wrote the Bits & Pieces column. Later, Tay was senior editor at Antic magazine, and he edited the book The Best of Atari Software, published by Consumer's Guide.
In this interview, we discuss Ted Richards and Jim Capparell, whom I have previously interviewed.
This interview took place on December 4, 2017.
"Those guys came to the school, the Atari marketing people, and said 'we'd like to give you a couple of computers to let your students play with them and so forth. In exchange, we'll come and take some pictures and maybe use you for marketing."
post-803-0-99497300-1512927623_thumb.jpg
  • Like 5

Robert Jaeger, Montezuma's Revenge

Robert Jaeger is best known in the Atari community as the programmer of the popular game Montezuma's Revenge, which was published by Parker Brothers in 1984. He also programmed Chomper, published by MMG Micro Software; and Pinhead, published by Robert's own company, Utopia Software.
This interview took place on December 2, 2017.
post-803-0-28838700-1513177477_thumb.png
  • Like 4