IGNORED

Carrot Kingdom™ - Work in Progress 32K! - New Demo 10-16-2017

Jinroh

I decided to play it for a bit when I shouldn't be hehe I love it, it does feel much smoother! I am also impressed by how much stuff you manage to fit, I would have figured scrolling would eat everything up. Took me a few tries to learn the game, but I like that about games, keeps you going back. I will give it a better play later, just couldn't resist haha I only detected one bug that I never noticed mentioned, I;m assuming you are aware, but will point it out in case, when you jump and then press down, a missile appears above your head? but thats a super easy bug to fix, not even worth worrying about until later. But yeah will try to get past the damn ghost tonight, wants to see what waits lol

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! TCP/IP Brotocol!

Good news.

Despite being TOTALLY DISTRACTED by the new MLP Movie. I fixed the ghosts thing.

Carrot Kingdom™ Demo .8a

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes:

Fixed Ghosts. (Nothing else cuz Ponies)

<See post below for fixed version.>

post-23974-0-38025100-1508205878.png

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 5

I gave it a shot, too. It's very cute, and has nice graphics, but I got my butt kicked pretty thoroughly and consistently. I think as game developers we get too good at our own games due to all of our testing, and don't always realize how difficult they are for everyone else.

I'm looking forward to seeing future versions!

• Like 1

Boy do I suck at your game :P
I keep getting further each time I play the new update, but slowly.
In my cases I know why, it's because my brain doesn't wanna accept firebutton as jump and down to fire, That's just learning the controls with a stubborn brain, my problem not yours hehe
Um, I wanna make a suggestion for you? perhaps offset the timing on one of the ghost when they come at you. It seems to me, the "hard game" problem is they are timed exactly the same, by the time you kill one , the other is on top of you or just about to kill you. Or maybe I just suck at the game and timing. (I hate leaving suggestions lol)

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Hmm...I was actually following Random Terrain's guide for 'Fire' for jump.

Though I can see how it could be advantageous to do an 'Up' for jump and a 'Fire' for fire.

Work is sucking, but trying to get more progress done. :) I'll play around with some things. Probably I'll switch the controls for the next demo and we can see how we feel. :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if you have already considered this, but could it be possible to use fire as fire and up+fire as jump? Or fire as jump as down+fire as fire? Maybe it could even be user-selectable with the difficulty switches or tv type switch, if you aren't already using them for something else (I haven't played your demo in a while).

Edited by JeremiahK
  • Like 1

I did better in this demo until I got to the forest part again, and then I sucked just as badly as last time. :) It's cute, and it has a lot of potential. I'm still interested to see a different variant on the controls, but I think the forest sequence would still be too hard for me even with the controls setup in a way that's more intuitive to me. Getting attacked from both directions is immensely hard! Great visuals, and fun gameplay up until that point for me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I appreciate your playing.

Things are settling down in my daily life so I'm back to work!

I'm re-writing the boss Bank to squeeze all three boss battles into one bank. (Hopefully)

To save a ton of space I'm going to approximate the Bread Cat with the level 'tiles'. Doesn't look too bad, but any suggestions I'm welcome to. The original graphics too way too much.

It'll give me enough for Chocolat and the last battle though with this system.

I'm also still going to try flipping the controls just normally then maybe with a switch like Jeremiah suggest. ^^ As for the ghost, yes, it is a pain. Thinking of replacing that as well. Maybe a ghost that shoots a ghost ball or something? IDK yet. ^^ Going to finish all these bosses first then the rest of the game will be cake for the most part.

Here's the new 'approximated' Bread Cat looks pretty good, but this is just in my quick mockup editor. Up for any tweaks you may suggest too. ^^

post-23974-0-09437100-1513489588.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys! I appreciate your playing.

Things are settling down in my daily life so I'm back to work!

I'm re-writing the boss Bank to squeeze all three boss battles into one bank. (Hopefully)

To save a ton of space I'm going to approximate the Bread Cat with the level 'tiles'. Doesn't look too bad, but any suggestions I'm welcome to. The original graphics too way too much.

It'll give me enough for Chocolat and the last battle though with this system.

I'm also still going to try flipping the controls just normally then maybe with a switch like Jeremiah suggest. ^^ As for the ghost, yes, it is a pain. Thinking of replacing that as well. Maybe a ghost that shoots a ghost ball or something? IDK yet. ^^ Going to finish all these bosses first then the rest of the game will be cake for the most part.

Here's the new 'approximated' Bread Cat looks pretty good, but this is just in my quick mockup editor. Up for any tweaks you may suggest too. ^^

attachicon.gifBreadCatNew.png

Anything new on the Carrot Kingdom front? I really like this game.

• Like 1

Glad you enjoy it. :) I uploaded a video of the last demo playthrough.

Being that I want to keep it to 16K I realize as-is the game would be about maybe 10-15 mins long if I completed it as-is. So I'm trying to think if I want to keep it that path or re-mix it in some way to make it longer but still not throw away all the work I've done.

One idea I had was to modify it to be more like the 'Jinny Run' game I made after Super Mario Run was released, that would make it more high score driven and arcadey to lend itself more to the Atari Style.

On the whole though not sure yet.

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 4

Glad you enjoy it. :) I uploaded a video of the last demo playthrough.

Being that I want to keep it to 16K I realize as-is the game would be about maybe 10-15 mins long if I completed it as-is. So I'm trying to think if I want to keep it that path or re-mix it in some way to make it longer but still not throw away all the work I've done.

One idea I had was to modify it to be more like the 'Jinny Run' game I made after Super Mario Run was released, that would make it more high score driven and arcadey to lend itself more to the Atari Style.

On the whole though not sure yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxWoFEJNySY

You could always make another 16k sequel. :) That might be easiest.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Glad you enjoy it!

I decided, after listening to you guys, to complete the game as I was intending.

So I'll resume crunching the Bread Cat to a smaller state. I'll probably have to get rid of the Swipe Animation, but we'll see.

Still going to switch the controls as well.

I would suggest make it 32KB instead of removing animation frames and features to fit into 16KB. I really like the Bread Cat boss, and the way that the cat swipes at you was really cool. I'm liking the creativity and the artwork that went into this game. If 16KB limitation is holding the vision of this game back, I would go bigger.

It was challenging to fit a Colecovision platformer game with 5 stages with objective and boss with around 60-70 screens total into one 32KB cartridge. I would have gone bigger if I knew how to make bankswitched Megacart back then.

• Like 1

You know. ^^

I like your suggestion Kiwi.

As much as I'd like the keep it hardcore and smash everything down to 16K.

For the consideration of the little time I have to work on it, my sanity, etc.

We'd all be best served if I bumped it up to 32K, so I could worry less about crunching down to fit ROM and more on making the game. ^^

That would be able to give me 200% more levels, in addition to fully fleshed out bosses. ^^

Thanks!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...