IGNORED

My 8-bit Games Porting to 7800 in the works

peteym5

I am usually one for being a purist in trying to replicate the Arcade graphics as close as possible; however, this is looking like a very much welcomed exception (and upgrade). Utilizing the 160 graphics mode(s) of the 7800, there is no sense going for a monochromatic look for the character sprites.

Those Venture sprites look great! Well done.

Here is the screenshot.

Here is the first Map screen drawn up, I want it to look as close to the 8-bit version as possible, at least sharing all the same tile map positions.

This is just about the best retro gaming news I could ask for this holiday season! Everything looks just fantastic so far! :D

I completed the second map screen for Venture. If anybody is wondering why I am jumping between games, I am working on a compact encoding technique that draws the screens from a set of instructions instead of storing whole screens on the cartridge ROM at about 1K per screen. I have it down to around 100 bytes per screen depending on how complicated the screen is. That allows many more screens to be stored without resorting to larger bank switching cartridges that more be more expensive. I am testing this on Delta Space Arena, Venture, and Putt 18 Miniature Golf. I am going to need some screens together before I go on to further game development. Some games have well over 50 screens for me to port over. I have an Adventure type game with 256 screens. might need to make a custom Visual Basic program to port all the data for me.

post-14332-0-42287400-1513435525.jpg

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

Here is the 3rd map screen for Venture on the 7800. Now this game is a work in progress and things are subject to change as I develop the game. I am planning to make this more like the arcade verses the 2600, Coleco, Intellivision, or even my 8-bit/5200 version. It may have several modes, default being arcade, other modes being home console, 8-bit challenger mode, and 7800 challenger mode. The issue I had with the 8-bit version was I could only dedicate 6 sprites for the enemies inside of each room. 7800 that can be extended to 8 or 10 maybe, or have something else like flames or energy bolts bouncing between walls. Many ideals are being considered.

post-14332-0-65015700-1513464484.jpg

• Like 2

First, here are a few more screen shots

Are all these screens just static pieces or are they implemented into a functioning framework of an actual running binary?

They are derived from the binary as I am encoding each level. The enemies are temporary as there is no programming logic to move them around yet. I needed all the level data before I start encoding the game. I am converting the levels from the 8-bit data which used the multicolored character set mode and transferring it to the multi-colored set mode on the 7800. I am also looking over videos and pictures of the arcade version to try to get the shapes and sizes of the rooms to match the arcade better. Like shift the walls a few character positions over.

Och, man. Did you just give Winky a NOSE?

Yes, I he has a nose now. Since 7800 sprites are 3 color, I can give the sprites more detail.

post-14332-0-10381300-1514037247.jpg

post-14332-0-87852100-1514037255.jpg

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 1

Will Winky control like his pants have fallen down around his ankles, as in the arcade original? I hope not.

No, most likely will be porting the same routine from the 8-bit version that works great. Some people who played the 8-bit version stated it may have made the game too easy, but I will see what I can do to keep it challenging. The Hold and Shoot mode may makes it even easier. Well anyway here are two additional screen shots from levels I recently completed.

I noticed the monsters in the arcade sorta move toward you, where as the Coleco version, they seem to move at random. Might improve the monster logic to make the game more challenging.

post-14332-0-83562400-1514153530.jpg

post-14332-0-04583600-1514153668.jpg