IGNORED

Sophia rev.C - DVI board

Simius

This thread is dedicated especially to the rev.C of the Sophia video board - the DVI version.

Nir Dary, on his youtube channel, has recently published a video about the installation of this board:

The sub-board with the DVI socket you see on the video can be mounted instead of a modulator in the 600/800XL or the 65/130XE models - see attachment

Currently there is a two available output resolution - 1536x960 pixels for monitors with aspect ratio 16:10 and 1280x1024 pixels with aspect ratio 5:4. Other resolution, with aspect ratio 4:3 (1280x960) and 16:9 (1600x900) are also planned. Maybe also 1600x1000 and 1440x900 - both 16:10. In any case the scaling ratio is 4:1, so the playfield is different. For instance - the 1280x1024 resolution covers only normal width (40 characters/320 hi-res pixels) screen. Unfortunately, the resolution can't be switched. Can only be set in the core.

post-26134-0-80554600-1515323440_thumb.jpg

post-26134-0-52725700-1515323452_thumb.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

What kind of things happen if you put this on a 16:9 monitor but have the 5:4 resolution?

If you have the 1280x1024 version -- does it just output with borders around? or stretch? does it depend on the monitor?

and is there any way to reprogram with your own equipment if you need in the future?

And any chance this would work on the Atari 800 original also? I *think* there's room inside the case to push out the GTIA a bit..

Edited by Xebec

Why does the sub-board use a DVI socket instead of HDMI? I'm just curious, DVI works too, I have a DVI-HDMI adapter I haven't used in years...

HDMI devices require an annual licensing fee plus royalties per unit from the organization that approves and regulates the standards. Not worth it for hobbyists, frankly.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/terms.aspx

Plenty of DVI-compatible monitors out there, along with DVI-to-HDMI converters.

• Like 2

...DVI-to-HDMI converters.

They're more of an adapter than a converter. There's no signal conversion necessary, that I'm aware of.

Beautiful piece of gear, btw. Really nice to see this coming out in DVI; takes away a lot of the hassle with the original version and compared to VBXE.

• Like 1

They're more of an adapter than a converter. There's no signal conversion necessary, that I'm aware of.

Beautiful piece of gear, btw. Really nice to see this coming out in DVI; takes away a lot of the hassle with the original version and compared to VBXE.

Right, same signal. DVI sends the same video signal as HDMI, less audio.

Edited by Gunstar

HDMI devices require an annual licensing fee plus royalties per unit from the organization that approves and regulates the standards. Not worth it for hobbyists, frankly.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/terms.aspx

Plenty of DVI-compatible monitors out there, along with DVI-to-HDMI converters.

I see. yeah, I already have an adapter as mentioned.

Besides I really doubt that you'll find a 4:3 monitor in HDMI, but you'll find plenty in DVI. Yes of course you can force some to a 4:3 aspect ratio, but it just doesn't look right in my book. Plus there are still plenty of these older monitors being sold as NOS in the box.

• Like 1

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/terms.aspx.

Looked it up, it‘s 5000 USD/year plus 1,05 to 1,15 per unit. The latter wouldn‘t hurt but for the former (which is for a maximum of 10000 units/year) would need a lot of buyers to absorb.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

What kind of things happen if you put this on a 16:9 monitor but have the 5:4 resolution?

If you have the 1280x1024 version -- does it just output with borders around? or stretch? does it depend on the monitor?

and is there any way to reprogram with your own equipment if you need in the future?

And any chance this would work on the Atari 800 original also? I *think* there's room inside the case to push out the GTIA a bit..

It depend on the monitor. It can be the borders around as well as stretch.

AFAIR someone wrote that there is no enough room in Atari 800. See: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258702-new-development-gtia-in-cpld/page-34?do=findComment&comment=3906760

Reprogramming is possible with the aproppriate equipment.

Hello guys

When does a device become an HDMI device? Is that when it has an HDMI connector and is ready to be used? Or if turning a device into an HDMI device would be as easy as soldering in the right parts?

Sincerely

Mathy

HDMI devices have hardware encryption capabilities, by definition of the spec (HDCP - High Definition Copy Protection). Connecting an HDMI device to a TV or monitor is not a simple electrical signal connection; there's actually a communication protocol involved between the display and whatever is plugged into the port. If the display doesn't negotiate properly with the thing plugged in, you won't get a signal.

• Like 1

HDMI devices have hardware encryption capabilities, by definition of the spec (HDCP - High Definition Copy Protection). Connecting an HDMI device to a TV or monitor is not a simple electrical signal connection; there's actually a communication protocol involved between the display and whatever is plugged into the port. If the display doesn't negotiate properly with the thing plugged in, you won't get a signal.

According to the HDMI association link above encryption is optional (and results in a lower licensing fee per unit). Otherwise it wouldn't work to convert unencrypted DVI to HDMI.

• Like 2

DisplayPort is another option and I think the licensing costs are much cheaper. Then just use a DP to HDMI cable.

DVI is fine with me since audio isn't going through it anyway. Although, an HDMI/DisplayPort would be great if someone were to add an A/D converter on a Pokey stereo board.

According to this you need a license from Apple for Mini-DP but it does not mention fees.

Simius, not trying to push you in any direction here. Just following up on the various suggestions. The main trouble with all this probably is that our Ataris will outlast DVI, HDMI and DP...

• Like 1

Hello Herb, guys

Right, same signal. DVI sends the same video signal as HDMI, less audio.

So DVI uses the same video signal, but HDMI adds communication between devices (like SCART has via it's I2C connection, but probably more complicated) and audio?

Sincerely

Mathy

According to this you need a license from Apple for Mini-DP but it does not mention fees.

Simius, not trying to push you in any direction here. Just following up on the various suggestions. The main trouble with all this probably is that our Ataris will outlast DVI, HDMI and DP...

Brentarian was talking about DisplayPort, not mini-displayport. We have a few HP laptops and Lenovo desktops with DisplayPort. In fact, I believe the GTX 1070 in my desktop also has DisplayPort. Anyway, while the port is licensed, there isn't any fee involved.

Bit for this device, DVI is fine.

• Like 2

I surrender. Any help will be appreciated. I had a chance to fit the new DVI version in a 1200xl with zero success.

I have tried:

DVI cable to a 15Khz capable monitor

DVI cable to a recent LCD TV with DVI input

DVI cable to a VGA and a scan convertor

DVI to VGA straight to monitor

DVI to HDMI to two different monitors

DVI to HDMI to VGA just to be thorough

All of the above on two different 1200's, swapping both machines and Antics in every attempt.

Both machines work fine when the Antic is put back into the original socket without the Sophia.

The NTSC output on both machines stop working when the Sophia is in place.

And for thoroughness, here's the setup:

don't cry for me Sophia