IGNORED

Super Nintendo Classic Edition - SNES Mini thread

Rev

Because if you're trying to cheese save states (not necessarily switch games), the only way to access it on the Nintendo Classics is to press the reset/home button. :)

In the example above (Super Punchout).. I sometimes repeat a short 1-second section several times until I get a desirable outcome (e.g. a counter punch when the opponent first raises a fist) and then once I nail it, I do a save. That's a lot of reset button presses. :lol:

This is even more of a reason to NOT have easy access to the reset button!

• Like 2

Christmas presents?

Hannukah. Eight crazy nights!

Speak of the devil, my little brother got my older brother and I one for Christmas. I don't even try to get one and still do.

Anyway, since my older brother is also a retro gamer that knows he already has ways to play Super NES games I could tell he was about to go full Autistic. So, I came to its defense,"It has Star Fox 2!" I think I failed because then he said to my younger brother,"I don't have much use for this." :-D

I just closed on my first house yesterday. So, after I set up my game room I'll probably leave it in the living room for my wife. But since she prefers NES over Super NES it will probably result in her demanding also the NES Classic when it is released again. Therefore, both will be in the house. Anyway, now that I know that giving criticism about devices ultimately results in me getting them I really need to start talking shit about everything Kevtris works on and I also should be making a lot of room for all of the Atari Flashbacks. :evil:

• Like 5

I finally got to open mine up from Christmas the other day...first impressions were good. After having the NES Classic, I was on the lookout for the things I didn't like (sound lag, wasn't convinced about the CRT emulation). On the whole, I really like this SNES version. Here's some thoughts:

The controllers are great. Only nitpick is they used a type of plastic that isn't the exact same as the originals, resulting in a slightly 'grittier' feel, if that makes sense. It's not as smooth, but the functionality of the pads seems identical, so this is just a style difference.

The CRT emulation this time is actually flawless, IMO. I played it with 4/3 the first time, as I tend to use that on the NES Classic...but it's quite gross, at least to me. Pixel perfect is worse. I think you can get away with it on the NES, but not the SNES...lucky for me though, whatever they did with the CRT emulation, it's fantastic! Sure, you lose a little vibrancy in the colours but the effect is immediate and softens the edges just right. If I could get the NES Classic to do the same, I'd be super stoked: on that one, I found the CRT lines were a little too obvious. This one though is great.

The games: it's a good lineup, but I feel it's missing some shooters. It's RPG and platform heavy, but I can't really complain. It's just I really liked games like Firepower 2000 and nothing here scratches that itch. I also have new respect for Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, as it really is a much different game from the arcade.

Overall, I think they really knocked it out of the park on this device. Let's hope they bring back the NES Classic soon, and in similar numbers so that we can all get it relatively easy. Bonus points if they fix that audio lag and improve the CRT sim.

I was on the fence about what will surely be an N64 Classic next year, but we'll see...it might turn out to be worth it, even though it's out of era so to speak. And two joysticks is a MUST, Nintendo...way too much of a PITA to score a second stick like the NES. Just raise the unit price and include two, done.

• Like 4

I was on the fence about what will surely be an N64 Classic next year, but we'll see...it might turn out to be worth it, even though it's out of era so to speak. And two joysticks is a MUST, Nintendo...way too much of a PITA to score a second stick like the NES. Just raise the unit price and include two, done.

Two controllers would definitely be the sweet spot to include for the n64 minis. Four would just inflate the price tag to $100 or more, too much for a pnp. Have more available for purchase separately if 4 players is desired. Allow CC to operate like Wii VC with right stick = c buttons.

I agree with atarilovesyou about the texture, the CRT filter (clearly the best of the 3 options), and the games. I would have added Axelay to the lineup. If I end up tampering with mine, that's going on there. More likely I'll keep it stock, esp since the RetroBit Super Retrocade does the same kind of thing but with an SD card.

Re N64 Mini -- as much as I loved the N64, those controls could stand to be improved. Anyone else think a modified GameCube controller (with C buttons instead of the C stick, and maybe a bigger D-pad) would be better as a pack-in? N64 controllers were HUGE and gooofy looking.

Another thought -- wouldn't it be fun if the NES Classic returned with the top-loader design and a few extra/different games, just to keep things fresh?

• Like 3

I agree with atarilovesyou about the texture, the CRT filter (clearly the best of the 3 options), and the games. I would have added Axelay to the lineup. If I end up tampering with mine, that's going on there. More likely I'll keep it stock, esp since the RetroBit Super Retrocade does the same kind of thing but with an SD card.

Re N64 Mini -- as much as I loved the N64, those controls could stand to be improved. Anyone else think a modified GameCube controller (with C buttons instead of the C stick, and maybe a bigger D-pad) would be better as a pack-in? N64 controllers were HUGE and gooofy looking.

Another thought -- wouldn't it be fun if the NES Classic returned with the top-loader design and a few extra/different games, just to keep things fresh?

so- like you could put in NES carts of your choosing (sorta like those Genesis/MegaDrive consoles that are out now)? that'd be pretty neat. :)

I will say that for me personally Hakchi2 worked out pretty good- i was still nervous i'd end up with an $80 plastic brick, but being able to back up the original software gave me enough piece of mind i wanted to try.

I felt that Super Mario All-Stars should've been included with the SNES Mini.

I was always confused why there wasn't one shooter on the SNES CE. Axelay for me was first to come to mind because Gradius III while it should be the obvious choice has that rushed to market problem of big time flicker which they wouldn't want to be getting a bunch of whiny phone calls over at their 800# line for months or years to come. Another solid option would have been either R-Type since IREM is easy going about such stuff, or also perhaps Space Megaforce.

• Like 3

I was always confused why there wasn't one shooter on the SNES CE. Axelay for me was first to come to mind because Gradius III while it should be the obvious choice has that rushed to market problem of big time flicker which they wouldn't want to be getting a bunch of whiny phone calls over at their 800# line for months or years to come. Another solid option would have been either R-Type since IREM is easy going about such stuff, or also perhaps Space Megaforce.

I totally agree! I ended up putting Gradius 3 and Super R Type on my SNES.

Been enjoying the Emio arcade stick for the NES Classic since getting it for Christmas a few days ago (Although I'm disappointed that it lacks a home button). Did their SNES Classic stick ever come out? And if so, has anyone happened to try one of these?

PRO_1511400967.jpg?v=1001

Doesn't actually seem to be available anywhere to order. The few places I've found product pages show it as out of stock, which could easily mean they just never had any to sell in the first place. [Edit; Emio has them direct for $40. I wonder if they struggled to get retailers to stock this after last year's compatibility debacle?]

Even better, is there a way to get my Wii Hori arcade stick working with the SNES Classic? This hardware for Nintendo's plug and plays seems a bit picky even with officially licensed Classic Controller clones like my arcade stick was. It doesn't work on either my NES or SNES Classic Edition, despite the Nintendo seal of quality on the box for it.

I wonder if the Emio adapter for their 1st run NES Classic sticks that didn't work out of the box would resolve compatibility issues with other controllers like the Hori stick?

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Been enjoying the Emio arcade stick for the NES Classic since getting it for Christmas a few days ago (Although I'm disappointed that it lacks a home button). Did their SNES Classic stick ever come out? And if so, has anyone happened to try one of these?

PRO_1511400967.jpg?v=1001

Doesn't actually seem to be available anywhere to order. The few places I've found product pages show it as out of stock, which could easily mean they just never had any to sell in the first place. [Edit; Emio has them direct for $40. I wonder if they struggled to get retailers to stock this after last year's compatibility debacle?]

Even better, is there a way to get my Wii Hori arcade stick working with the SNES Classic? This hardware for Nintendo's plug and plays seems a bit picky even with officially licensed Classic Controller clones like my arcade stick was. It doesn't work on either my NES or SNES Classic Edition, despite the Nintendo seal of quality on the box for it.

I wonder if the Emio adapter for their 1st run NES Classic sticks that didn't work out of the box would resolve compatibility issues with other controllers like the Hori stick?

There are absolutely no reviews of this thing that I can find, and no one other than Emio seems to sell them. I'm really wondering if this is a real product. For the price, it might be worth the risk.

Picked up one of these today, Best Buy was overflowing with them. Absolutely love the feel of the controllers! Spot on!

If the supply remains steady, I may pick up more for the stockpile.

that's one thing that i totally fell in love with- the feel of the controllers. they feel GREAT!

Picked up one of these today, Best Buy was overflowing with them. Absolutely love the feel of the controllers! Spot on!

If the supply remains steady, I may pick up more for the stockpile.

Piles of them at various Best Buy retail locations and still scalpers unloading on ebay all day long. Something does not add up, unless there are a lot of online shoppers who don't get out much... :ponder:

• Like 1

I only wish they made it look like a Super NES Advantage! Kind of like how their NES version looks like an NES Advantage.

I think "The Edge Super Joystick" is modeled after the overseas equivalent to the SNES Advantage, as discussed here. The SNES/Super Famicom looked like that in other places. Only USA got the purple Barney box.

post-2410-0-70063400-1515464106.jpg

• Like 1

I think "The Edge Super Joystick" is modeled after the overseas equivalent to the SNES Advantage, as discussed here. The SNES/Super Famicom looked like that in other places. Only USA got the purple Barney box.

attachicon.gifscore master.jpg

Yeah, like in your pic there the Super Advantage (Whether USA Purple or Japan/Europe Gray) looks Way cooler/better than the Score Master...I still prefer the Super Advantage...It doesn't have that high school desk look to it :lol:

• Like 1

I also like the colored buttons, but I also like the mix of concave and convex buttons on the US controller.

My biggest complaint was when they changed the button mapping around late in the design phase. Early prototypes could've solved many issues down the road had the SNES Y button stayed as the B button, and SNES B had stayed as the A button.

Instead, it created a problem whenever two button Nintendo classics are adapted for use on a 4 button Nintendo controller, with matched up button lettering conflicting with maximum user comfort. Some don't mind and are able to fully enjoy playing something like a Super Mario Bros. platformer with the SNES B used as the run button and SNES A used as jump, but many others hate it.

Yet you won't find any objections that Super Mario World for example used the Y button as the run button and B as jump. Everyone seems to be able to be comfortable with that layout.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1