IGNORED

Can't get paddle working

xucaen

I found many tutorials and samples out there about how to handle paddles and I think I have done everything right - not sure because I can't even get so far as to test my code. For some reason, when I store a value of #$82 into VBLANK as all the samples say to do, unless I misunderstood something, I get a black screen. Using #$80 lets me see the screen but then paddles do not work. I simply don't know enough to understand what's happening. I am testing my code with Stella 4.7.3. I assume Stella is set up to see the mouse as a paddle. I am attaching a screen shot of my Stella settings and my sample1.asm

BTW I built the sample code at http://spiceware.org/atari_paddles.html and tested in Stella. While I do see the screen, paddle doesn't work. I verified paddles are working for me in Stella because I am able to play Astroblast. :)

sample1.asm

post-6228-0-14762800-1515635338.jpg

Look for DGS in the comments. There are other issues you'll need to resolve, but paddles now work. Be sure to "plug in" paddles in Stella. Stella remembers the change per ROM, so you'll need to do this every time you make a change to your code.

• hit TAB for in game menu
  • click GAME PROPERTIES
  • select CONTROLLER tab
  • change P0 CONTROLLER to PADDLES
  • click OK
  • click EXIT MENU
  • press keys CONTROL-R to reload game

sample1.asm

• Like 1

Be sure to "plug in" paddles in Stella. Stella remembers the change per ROM, so you'll need to do this every time you make a change to your code.

• hit TAB for in game menu
  • click GAME PROPERTIES
  • select CONTROLLER tab
  • change P0 CONTROLLER to PADDLES
  • click OK
  • click EXIT MENU
  • press keys CONTROL-R to reload game

Thank you so much for this! I didn't know where to look for paddle settings.