IGNORED

ADAM with WiModem232

The Evener

I wanted to share a success story - the ADAM paired with Jim Drew's WiModem232.

Of course a lot of C64 users know Jim for the WiModem, which allows the computer to access the Internet over WiFi in order to telnet to the various BBSes that are accessible that way.

Several weeks ago I learned that Jim was designing an RS-232 compatible version of his WiModem. Thanks to Micro Innovations' MIB2 Parallel/Serial Interface card, I was ready to see if I could take the ADAM "on-line" and access the growing world of telnet-accessible BBSes. I was already using the MIB2 for dial-up modem access (via a Hayes 9600 baud modem), and was hopeful I could use it for the WiModem232.

I ordered a WiModem232 shortly after they want on sale around Christmas, and it arrived yesterday. The version I chose came with an OLED. Jim was confident that it would work with any computer with an RS-232, and his confidence wasn't misplaced. Following the instructions in the manual, set-up was a breeze and I was using the ADAM for BBS glory in no time. The unit is powered by a USB-USB mini B cable and a smartphone wall adapter.

If you have a serial adapter, it might be time to join the BBS community again!

Check it out at: https://www.cbmstuff.com/products.php?cat=2

post-31178-0-83655800-1515544193.jpg

post-31178-0-24882300-1515544195_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Evener
  • Like 2

I wanted to share a success story - the ADAM paired with Jim Drew's WiModem232.

That IS intrigueing; I remember back in the 90's when the net was a baby, the ADAM could get onto the web. It was smokin' fast, but lasted way too short a period before the graphical interface came on the scene and left the ADAM in the dust. What is available ADAMwise out in the ether? Any users with ideas or something?

Edited by adamcon

Nice! Where can I get the parallel adapter?

I'm not sure if all products cited are available, but there are two serial card options listed on the ANN catalogue:

http://ann.hollowdreams.com/adamsupplies.html

Thanks for sharing!

I just released a firmware update that corrects a race condition that has existed since the first WiModem for the C64 was released. Update your firmware using AT*UPDATE

I'm on it - thanks!

Can you share specs (diagram/pictures) of the cable you are using from the MIB2 to the WiModem232? Is the serial port on the MIB2 the same as the MIB3?

Also is that ADAMLink V you are using?

Yes, I'm using ADAMLink V - I think the specs for the 2 and 3 are the same - I'll have to dig up the instructions. The cable was rigged up by Micro Innovations - I think the provided a pin-out diagram in the instructions. I'll edit this message when I have the info (unless someone else beats me to it!)

Adamcon has two Serial Interfaces available on his page:

- Eve SP-1 Serial / Parallel Interface Unit that connects externally to the side Expansion Interface and comes in a plastic housing with ribbon cable to connect to the Adam.

- Micro Innovations MIB2 Interface Card that plugs into Slot #2 internally and provides 1 Parallel Port, 2 Serial Ports and Memory Addressor function for 256K on up Memory Expanders. Unfortunately, Slot #2 does not provide the necessary power for this card and you have to run the attached power adapter to the 9-pin plug on the left side of the Memory Console where the printer connects.

I didn't see parallel or serial cables on the site, but he might be able to make them or have spares available.

The MIB2 might be the way to go since the second serial port can facilitate attaching a Serial Terminal for displaying 80 columns in T-DOS or CP/M and there are a plethora of telecommunications programs available.

Anyway, pretty cool to see the Adam using a WiFi Modem and accessing Telnet.

• Like 1

Anyone interested in making there own Serial Interface can download the Micro Innovations Dual Serial Interface (Slot #1) schematics, silkscreen, firmware, etc. from the Coleco Adam Facebook group or I could post em here when I have the time.

If you could post the info here when the time is right I would appreciate it - I'm curious about this solution as a project

Edited by The Evener

Very nice deployment of the WiModem232 on your Adam. Man, I remember working as a young man in college in a computer store selling the Coleco Adam as fast as I could bring them down from the storeroom.

BTW, I just finished a case for my WiModem232...

IMG_2722.jpg

COREi64

• Like 2

Here are all the tech files that I have for the Micro Innovations line of Serial Interfaces, however I did not come across any info about the parallel and serial cables. I'll keep looking. The Dual Serial Interface Card installs in Slot #1 and the MIB2 / MIB3 Interface Cards install in Slot #2.

M.I. Dual Serial Interface Card.zip

M.I. Multi Purpose Interface Board 2.zip

M.I. Multi Purpose Interface Board 3.zip

Thanks for cross-posting this info! I was curious about the dual serial interface in Slot #1 - does it need an external power source as well? I don't know my schematics about the different ADAM slots, but I see that the dual interface .jpg shows a spot on the PCB for DC power connection. It would be great to have an internal serial card that didn't need external power, but I think that's probably not possible.

Edited by The Evener

does it need an external power source as well?

The M.I. Dual Serial Interface Card DOES NOT require additional power... it's is provided thru the Expansion Slot that the card installs in.

The only Interface Card that installs into one of the three internal Expansion Slots and requires additional power is the Micro Innovations M.I.B. 2 and that is why M.I. released the M.I.B. 3 about a year later after resolving this additional power requirement of the M.I.B. 2.

I think Micro Innovations provided this additional power option on some of their Interface Cards including the IDE Interface Card that MicroFox Technologies started manufacturing again about five years ago and has been selling in the IDE CF Card Package. In fact, an AtariAge member modded the IDE Interface and CF Adapter to remove the need for an external power supply by drawing power for the CF Adapter from the IDE Interface Card.

I am on a 100% wired 1Gbps network with no WI-FI. Since I use only desktop, Laptops, and other devices that have a built in Ethernet jack, I never needed WI-FI in the home.

Does anyone make an internet modem like this but with a Ethernet jack? If not I will have to pass on connecting my ADAM to BBS boards like I did back in the 80’s.

I still have a landline, if I have an old RS-232 modem is there any BBS in existence that uses dial up landline modems?

Edited by HDTV1080P

I am on a 100% wired 1Gbps network with no WI-FI. Since I use only desktop, Laptops, and other devices that have a built in Ethernet jack, I never needed WI-FI in the home.

Does anyone make an internet modem like this but with a Ethernet jack? If not I will have to pass on connecting my ADAM to BBS boards like I did back in the 80’s.

I still have a landline, if I have an old RS-232 modem is there any BBS in existence that uses dial up landline modems?

In your case I would look into using the Lantronix USD-10 device. I was considering this route before the 232 WiFi modems became an option.

"The Lantronix device is a 'smart box', a dual purpose interface. The first thing it does, is to allow for a conversion from RS-232 pinouts to RJ-45 or an "Ethernet Plug" which is the current standard. The second thing it accomplishes... it handles all the Internet protocols, independent of the Classic Computer. To the classic computer, the Lantronix device appears to be only a simple MODEM and even uses the old "Hayes" command set."

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/567/entry-10980-what-is-the-lantronix-uds-10-and-what-can-it-do-for-me-updated-61317/

In the meantime, there are at least four dial-up (well actually, five - two of them are accessible from the same dial-up number) BBSes you could visit.

Borderline BBS / Cottonwood BBS - 951-652-1690

Hidden Reef BBS 718-448-9402

Level 29 BBS - 916-965-1701

The Keep BBS - 503-646-2407

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. I had no idea that these products were available. I see that there are many different brands and models of RS-232 serial to Ethernet devices on the market and some support both 10/100Mbps Ethernet standards with a maximum baud rate up to 460.8kbps. I guess for the Adam computer and most other 8 bit computers from the 80's, a person only needs the Telnet feature to connect to the Internet BBS boards. Special software would be needed to support other Internet communication standards. Wow one can actually connect their ADAM computer to the Internet using a Ethernet connection. Of course no web browsing since the computer is not powerful enough to do that.

https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/Serial-over-IP/1-port-RS232-serial-over-ip-adapter~NETRS2321P

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RP6897354&cm_re=rs232_to_ethernet-_-9SIA2RP6897354-_-Product

http://doproto.com/store/45-rs232-to-ethernettelnet-convertor.html

Edited by HDTV1080P

In my free time I normally watch movies on Blu-ray discs. I would like to do more with the ADAM. Some people find time to make hardware and software for both the ADAM and ColecoVision. There are just so many hours in the day.

In the 80’s, I used my ADAM for dial up online BBS boards with an external 2400 baud or faster modem and a 80 column terminal was an awesome experience. I am afraid if I purchased an Ethernet to RS-232 converter I might only use it a few times before I start missing Internet Explorer 11 64 bit browser on my X99 desktop computer.

Maybe 6 months to a year from now I might consider getting one of these Internet devices for the ADAM that gives me BBS access only. Its amazing back in the 80’s the ADAM took up a lot of my time. Today in the 21st Century modern computers sometimes take up all of my time. Now the ADAM takes up a small amount of my time since when I do use it, it’s mainly for videogames.

Some of these classic 80’s computers like the ADAM would be popular with both secular families and faith based families today that do not like some of the material found on the Internet. With an 80’s computer like the ADAM one can play many wholesome videogames, can do basic word processing and printing on a laser printer. The ADAM is not powerful enough to play streaming videos and is not powerful enough to access a graphics based website. Old fashion text based BBS boards are possible on the ADAM. I have thought about donating an ADAM computer to a modern day Amish family that has electricity in their home. The ADAM would be a real cool computer for someone that never used a computer before. Back in 1982 when I got my first ColecoVision videogame system and then in 1983 turned the ColecoVision into a high-end top the line color computer that played the best quality supergames on the market, I really enjoyed the ADAM. In 1983 I started printing reports and papers for school for the very first time. Back in 1983 no other computer came close to the quality of games like Buck Rodgers the Supergame that was bundled with every ADAM. I use to play that game for hours. I also enjoyed Donkey Kong the Supergame, Donkey Kong Junior the Supergame, and Zaxxon the Supergame. I also liked playing Family Feud on the ADAM computer. Later on Subroc the Supergame and Jeopardy were enjoyable.

Edited by HDTV1080P