IGNORED

Edladdin Colecovision Controller Kickstarter now LIVE!

edladdin

Exciting news!

Over the weekend I was able to knock out the last untouched hurdle in the Kickstarter campaign - the USB controller. For whatever reason, the USB controller was easily the least popular option in the campaign. Only three pledges were captured, so this was the last new product we tackled, followed by a period of figuring out how best to go about it.

Attached are snapshots of the results. These follow the form and control color scheme of the original Super Action controllers by Coleco, less the thumbwheel. At the recommendation of Robb Alvey, we added three auxiliary buttons to the back of the controller for mapping with emulator or whatever other functions you might desire. These Backers all elected for the colorful Edladdin side and panel art, but these could be left off if a client prefers the more restrained/undecorated look, or wants to customize with their own artwork. Likewise, these controllers can be built with any combination of knob and button colors that we already offer.

The brain of this controller is a MiniPac by Ultimarc. We also used their pre-built harness for the wiring, though we clipped off all spade connectors in favor of solder and shrink tube. Even with the 23 switches in this controller, there were quite a few left available for assigning, so these were tied off and left in case clients want to add any additional features to their controller. The trackball and spinner pins are not used at all, nor the power pins.

Here's a link to the MiniPac page:

https://www.ultimarc.com/minipac.html

The MiniPac is programmed with the WinIPac v2, which is available for free from the UltiMarc site. The interface is easy to use, with assignment of keys and macros to pins by a mix of point-n-click and pull down menus. The software recognized all three controllers with no problems.

Here's a link to the WiniPac instructions:

https://www.ultimarc.com/winipacv2.html

The download is here:

https://www.ultimarc.com/download.html

There's quite a bit of space available in the case to add a Raspberry Pi, but it will take some noodling to figure out where to put it if you want to also have access holes in the case. Opening the case is not a HUGE deal - just the four machine screws in the feet - but it would be a hassle if you need to get in there often. Now that I've got the controller interface nailed down, I plan to proceed to build a RetroPie for my own amusement, but I am going to use the hinge-lidded Supreme controller as the base.

As soon as I finish the documentation for these controllers, these three will be ready to ship.

I have to do another review of the spreadsheet to make sure we haven't missed any individuals on the way, but this was the last big section of this Kickstarter campaign. All that remains is a single Super Arcade Plus, in which I agreed to do some layout customization. That thing is in process and creeping forward. As soon as its done, we will start on the waitlist.

After we get through servicing the post-Kickstarter waitlist, I will figure out how much it really cost to build the Super USB so we can decide whether we want to add them to the Edladdin and/or AtariAge stores, and at what price. There will probably also be an option for a less expensive USB controller that does not include the 12-key membrane keypad.

Best wishes,

Ed

post-40253-0-66711600-1516126018_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-07424700-1516126034_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-61067700-1516126043_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-50926300-1516126054_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-71955200-1516126061_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-65698900-1516126078_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-48733400-1516126095_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

For whatever reason, the USB controller was easily the least popular option in the campaign. Only three pledges were captured,

I'm happy to be one of those three and I'm very much looking forward to getting this one! I absolutely LOVE the other two controllers I have "CV Super Arcade+" and the "Super 78" but I'm most excited about this one to see how it works with things like CoolCV on my Mac and on the Raspberry Pi. And seeing the controller you've used, I also assume I'll be able to use it on other systems via the Pi like MAME, Stella, NES, Vectrex, etc.

I can see this one becoming a very popular item for you guys if it does what I think it will and the word is out that you guys are making a totally kick-ass USB controller compatible with all those emulators!

Well done! Can't wait! :)

• Like 2

I'm happy to be one of those three and I'm very much looking forward to getting this one! I absolutely LOVE the other two controllers I have "CV Super Arcade+" and the "Super 78" but I'm most excited about this one to see how it works with things like CoolCV on my Mac and on the Raspberry Pi. And seeing the controller you've used, I also assume I'll be able to use it on other systems via the Pi like MAME, Stella, NES, Vectrex, etc.

I can see this one becoming a very popular item for you guys if it does what I think it will and the word is out that you guys are making a totally kick-ass USB controller compatible with all those emulators!

Well done! Can't wait! :)

Thanks, I appreciate your enthusiasm AND patience, here with only 4 days before the 2-year anniversary of the launch of the campaign. :-)

I agree - it should work fine with any emulator. The MiniPac interface was very easy to use.

Does the Vectrex have its own emulator, or do you somehow mean the actual consoles? After the 5200 controller is finished, it should be a short hop to making an analog stick controller for the original Vectrex as well.

Ed

• Like 1

Does the Vectrex have its own emulator, or do you somehow mean the actual consoles? After the 5200 controller is finished, it should be a short hop to making an analog stick controller for the original Vectrex as well.

Vectrex is emulated in RetroPie and it uses RetroArch controls so I'm assuming if the others work, this one should work as well.

• Like 1

Hi Ed,

I was wondering where you got the enclosures from? Are they home-made or ???

I want to make a few controllers...don't worry, I'm not going into competition with you! Just some small stuff.

Thanks!

Most of our enclosures are custom made. The metal work is done by a company called "Gap Partners" in Rabun Gap, Georgia. The oak enclosures are made by a company called "Watson Springs Specialties" in Watkinsville, Georgia. Neither company does much in the way of retail sales - its dozens of pieces at a time.

We also purchase a few metal enclosures from Hammond Manufacturing, via Mouser Electronics. Those are off the shelf items that we use for the customized items in the "Super" lineup.

Lots of great enclosures out there. No need to make one that looks just like ours. ;-)

Most of our enclosures are custom made. The metal work is done by a company called "Gap Partners" in Rabun Gap, Georgia. The oak enclosures are made by a company called "Watson Springs Specialties" in Watkinsville, Georgia. Neither company does much in the way of retail sales - its dozens of pieces at a time.

We also purchase a few metal enclosures from Hammond Manufacturing, via Mouser Electronics. Those are off the shelf items that we use for the customized items in the "Super" lineup.

Lots of great enclosures out there. No need to make one that looks just like ours. ;-)

Well, it wouldn't look just like yours, your artwork is way above what I can accomplish. I just really like the sturdiness of your enclosures so I want that for my project.

For some reason my Google-fu (which is normally pretty strong) just can't find a good enclosure! Amazon wasn't much help, and Alibaba...I don't need 50 units and the multi-month wait.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Well, it wouldn't look just like yours, your artwork is way above what I can accomplish. I just really like the sturdiness of your enclosures so I want that for my project.

For some reason my Google-fu (which is normally pretty strong) just can't find a good enclosure! Amazon wasn't much help, and Alibaba...I don't need 50 units and the multi-month wait.

Thank you!

Here's a link to the Hammond catalog. Their stuff is carried by Mouser, Allied, and Digi-key.

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/small-case

I'm also a big fan of replacing the crappy stick-on feet with through-hole feet that tie them to the four machine screws that hold the enclosures together.

I hope this helps!

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to be on the list for a Super Arcade Controller Plus.

I asked a while ago, but not sure if I was ever actually put on the list. To be honest, I’m not even sure if a real list actually exists! Haha. But if a list exists, I would love to be on it.

Thanks!

Hi!

You are on the list, #26 out of 41. You were added on July 13, 2017, based on a PM you sent me.

We are gearing up to tackle the list now! My plan is to build the controllers out a three or four at a time and knock this down in chunks.

We also have to add the controllers to the Edladdin store so that list members can directly input their knob and button color choices, plus whether or not they want the flashy Edladdin graphics or the plain case version. Most of all, the store is important because it will calculate postage automatically, saving us from having to look up every order manually. I still have not quite figured out how to add the items to the store but prevent the public (not on the list) from placing orders.

Anyhow, we're making progress and on this.

Thanks for your patience!

Ed

:-)

Ed

Great! Thanks so much!

Hi!

You are on the list, #26 out of 41. You were added on July 13, 2017, based on a PM you sent me.

We are gearing up to tackle the list now! My plan is to build the controllers out a three or four at a time and knock this down in chunks.

We also have to add the controllers to the Edladdin store so that list members can directly input their knob and button color choices, plus whether or not they want the flashy Edladdin graphics or the plain case version. Most of all, the store is important because it will calculate postage automatically, saving us from having to look up every order manually. I still have not quite figured out how to add the items to the store but prevent the public (not on the list) from placing orders.

Anyhow, we're making progress and on this.

Thanks for your patience!

Ed

:-)

Ed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How goes things Ed?

I finally finished the last Kickstarter pledge item last week, a Super Arcade Controller Plus with a customized control layout that required cutting a big hole in the panel and making a new panel to go atop it. Now that we are done with that, I can tackle the waiting list, in which I will contact folks on the list and give them a special discount code to use with the shopping cart at Edladdin.com. The discount will be tiny, just a token to confirm that you were actually on the waiting list. I want to push everything through the shopping cart because:

1. It will capture your customization choices (button/knob colors, with or without Edladdin artwork)

2. It will calculate accurate postage on the fly

3. It will allow PayPal or CC payment

4. It will generate the matching invoices/packing slips

One of the big hassles of fulfilling the Kickstarter campaign was trying to track everything through a big spreadsheet, and the fixed rate postage we assigned was rarely accurate.

We should be rolling later this week!

Ed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good news! I've added the Super CV controller and the Super Arcade Controller Plus to the Edladdin store. Along with the Easy CV kit that is already available, these are the two CV-friendly controllers we will offer going forward. You can seem them both here:

https://www.edladdin.com/

I will be contacting everyone on the list individually through whatever portal they got in touch with me. However, if you know you are on the list, you are also welcome to place your order using the following access code in the same area where you select your colors:

AASlowCV

The earlier idea of controlling this through a discount code did not turn out to be necessary.

My plan is:

1. Build and fulfill these in alternating batches of Super CV and Super Arcade Controller Plus.

Its far more productive to do several of the same type at a time.

2. Fulfill the orders based on the original waitlist signup order, as much as possible.

If I have built six Super CVs, I'm going to go ahead and deliver to the top six people that have followed through with orders for those.

Once this waitlist is done, both controllers will be available for regular purchase at Edladdin.com and in the AA store, and I will turn my efforts toward the Super 52.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm making this up as I go, so its very likely I have overlooked something...

Best wishes,

Ed

post-40253-0-63145000-1523505638.jpg

post-40253-0-46495600-1523505651.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Having just got a SGM and a copy of Zanac, I've come to the realization that my stock controllers and my Wico just aren't cutting it. I think I need the Super CV. Is there a point in asking to be on the list at this time? If so, I'd like to throw my name in.

Sure, no problem! I cant see any reason not to add people to the end of the list while the front of the list is being addressed. You are #45.

-------------

For other interested parties, of the first ten people on the waitlist, five responded and the other five remained silent. Of the responses, one was that he could not afford to proceed right now, while the other four placed orders. Amazingly, three of the four ordered multiple controllers. So we shipped the first order this week to #1 and the next items are underway. I hope to have the first section of the list completed by the end of next week.

As another wrinkle, the #1 request was for a Super USB - CV, which was a valid but not very popular Kickstarter item. I am also willing to build those for anyone that wants a USB controller rather than the Super CV or the Super Arcade Controller Plus. I'm going to work on adding that item to the store, but the summary is that its going to be $179.00, just like in the campaign. Its more expensive than the others because we are buying the control boards from Ultimarc in the UK. We got a small break on the price, but its nominal.

That's the news! Let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Ed

post-40253-0-47184900-1524852895_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-74922500-1524852912_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-23290500-1524852926_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the wait list...

Spots #1-10: We've shipped three controllers and have a batch of six SAC Plus units underway, two of which are committed to folks in this group. One person decided not to purchase right now and five did not respond at all.

Spots #11-16: I am reaching out to this group today! Let me know if you happen to be in one of those spots and don't hear from me!

Best wishes,

Ed

• 1 month later...

Super late adopter that found out about these from kickstarter. Got a Super Arcade Controller for my ColecoVision, and am loving it. However, after reading through here and some comments I don't fully understand the purpose of the battery and on/off switch. When is it that it should be on? I've had no issues in either position so I figure I should conserve the battery. If anyone could help me better understand, I'd really appreciate it. Does it cause any issues if on? I'm also using a Super Game Module if that matters.