IGNORED

HSC Season 9 - Game 5 - Tropical Trouble (read scoring)

We are playing Tropical Trouble. Game mode is hard (press 6 on the title screen). The round ends on 28th of January at 23:59 CET.

This game wont reward the highest score, it will reward the progress. The game has 7 screens (two on the beach, two in the jungle, two in volcano land and one final battle on the bridge). You can see the progress on the final screen after you are game over, because the character stays there. I wrote a explanation how to determine your position here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/213831-tropical-trouble-normal-scoring-mechanism-read-only/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2787045

There is also a screenshot to compare.

Everytime you beat the boss at the bridge you earn a green mountain symbol at the bottom left. If you beat the game over and over again you will get a red mountain (I think it was after 9 runs or something like this). This will keep counting the completed runs for you, just take a picture of the full game over screen.

Now how you determine your score: Look up your position on the screen, this will be X.1-7, as I explained in the link above. If you die on the 4th screen in the first run your final progress is 0.4. If you die on the 4th screen with 3 green mountain-symbols your score is 3.4. If you have trouble to understand that please ask, but I guess its much easier to understand when you see examples, which should follow soon.

If two players share the same progress the lower score of them will be rewarded with the better ranking.

Why this complicated scoring? Thats simple, because unfortunately Tropical Trouble allows to camp in the first levels forever and gaining infinite points without any risk of dying. So its completely impossible to take the points to consideration. For that reason this time the progress will be the most important thing.

Good luck and have fun. If you have any questions feel free to ask here.

Standings after 4 rounds:

1. Ignorama - 36

2. m-crew - 26

3. Crade - 13

4. Alpha-Male - 8

5. S.Baz - 7

6. Intymike - 6

7. scalpel - 5

8. jblenkle - 3

9. Robin Hudson - 2

9. Gernot - 2

11. darthkur - 1

11. Mister-VCS - 1

Edited by Ignorama

Man, this is the week of new-to-me games.

My first take on this one is... THIS GAME SUCKS!

I keep getting stuck and can't seem to get anywhere or do anything. Hopefully I just need some more practice. I did manage to somehow get to the end of the first section.

0.1 [score 100]

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. I don't see how one can stay put and farm points. If I don't keep running forward I lose a life quickly by the snake at the back of the screen. In fact, I haven't figured out how to even get points.

Edited by S.BAZ

Man, this is the week of new-to-me games.

My first take on this one is... THIS GAME SUCKS!

I keep getting stuck and can't seem to get anywhere or do anything. Hopefully I just need some more practice. I did manage to somehow get to the end of the first section.

0.1 [score 100]

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something. I don't see how one can stay put and farm points. If I don't keep running forward I lose a life quickly by the snake at the back of the screen. In fact, I haven't figured out how to even get points.

lol, yup get the hanky and when you pass to next screen you get points.. Yes I found when playing key pad six I didn't even make it to the end of the first island yet. Maybe .5 ,

Its going to be a challenge for sure..

Question for Ignorama, I looked up the past scores was that played on keypad 6, those were some great scores..

Cheers

Edited by m-crew

I think cparsley often had "any mode" as players choice, so I don't remember if we played on easy, it was some years ago. But it would still work to intentionally not progress for gaining points, I tried it out.

I recommend watching the video in the "Choose your game" Thread, it probably helps a lot.

@m-crew

The level don't really matter for the progress. The only stage which is a real threat is the bridge and there its not really changing as far as I know. May its a bit faster from the beginning, but thats quickly not really the point anymore. When I tried out yesterday my first try was 6.7 and I'll be honest: In the higher stages its a lot of luck as well to not get hit on the bridge. In the video you see that its much YOLO :lol:

Edited by Ignorama

This is 0.6 for example. No Mountain Symbols and below the Volcano.

Thanks Ignorama ??

How do you get by that 0.6 ?

Seems impossible on Hard.

Could you do me a favour try a game next time with a regular intellivision controller and see if it's passable, I'm just curious of how much of a difference there is.

I made it to 2.7 on easy.

Hard seems impossible for me right now.

Lol

Cheers and Thanks

I tried it out and still no problem. I died at 2.7, because I wasnt good at the bridge, but .6 was exactly the same with the original controller for me.

Thanks , I just suck at this game. lol so far. I just wanted to see if the controller was the issue..

Thanks again for checking for me...