IGNORED

Telnet BBSing on the Model 4

Paradroyd

• 2 weeks later...

That's cool. How are you going about doing it?

I'm still using dial up with my 1200 baud modem.

I'm sure there are other solutions, but these are available:

You can use a wifimodem232 https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=WiModem232OLED

Or maybe a M3SE http://bartlettlabs.com/M3SE/index.html

Of course the wifimodem232 is the cheaper option, you just need a serial cable and wifi at home.

• Like 2

I bought mine from CBM stuff, but still need the cable

Full disclosure, I only use my Model 1 with the wifimodem232 and have never used it with my Model 4. I believe all you need though is a DB25 male to male flat ribbon serial cable.

Some folks use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATV2DX2/ but I don't have any experience myself with it.

• Like 1

That's cool. How are you going about doing it?

I'm still using dial up with my 1200 baud modem.

I'm using the ANSI capable telnet client bundled with the M3SE. The M3SE has an Ethernet interface and comes with a full TCP/IP stack. Not cheap, but more than worth it for me for what it does.

• Like 2

I notice you are using a diskless TRS-80... are you using FreHD?

M3SE, actually. This model 4 doesn't even have the floppy controller or serial port. It was originally the very low-end 16K model that someone upgraded to 64K. I found it in a electronics shop near here with a $30 price tag on it. Needed a bit of cleanup, but other than that it was in great shape. Lots more pics of it (inside & out) here.

• Like 1

M3SE, actually. This model 4 doesn't even have the floppy controller or serial port. It was originally the very low-end 16K model that someone upgraded to 64K. I found it in a electronics shop near here with a $30 price tag on it. Needed a bit of cleanup, but other than that it was in great shape. Lots more pics of it (inside & out) here.

http://bartlettlabs.com/makes a good product! I'm considering getting one of these for my Model 4, although right now I'm using a FredHD with it. I have the MISE and MIRE for my Model 1 and can't praise them enough! But they do cost a bit.

If you are really into the TRS-80 then I would say go for it.

• Like 1

I believe all you need though is a DB25 male to male flat ribbon serial cable.

Ended up ordering a $6.00 one shipped from Hong Kong, will take up to a month to arrive. Only USA seller I could find wanted nearly $50.00 for the same 2 foot cable. If anyone knows of a more reasonable USA seller please let me know.

Ended up ordering a $6.00 one shipped from Hong Kong, will take up to a month to arrive. Only USA seller I could find wanted nearly $50.00 for the same 2 foot cable. If anyone knows of a more reasonable USA seller please let me know.

There is always that guy in Australia, Ian Mavric, but his website has been down for a while now. I'm sure he could make one for you, he is not always known for cheap (as in cost) items either ;) What you get will work though as intended.

If you want a case for your wifi232 I can recommend: http://corei64.com/store/ I have one for my wifi232 with OLED and it fits great.

He uses those heat-set brass inserts so it closes up securely. Even supplies a little wrench to tighten it up.

It will come from Canada, so will be a week or so until it arrives. It was packed well inside a big box, and made it through the gauntlet that is USPS ;)

• Like 1

There is always that guy in Australia, Ian Mavric, but his website has been down for a while now. I'm sure he could make one for you, he is not always known for cheap (as in cost) items either ;) What you get will work though as intended.

If you want a case for your wifi232 I can recommend: http://corei64.com/store/ I have one for my wifi232 with OLED and it fits great.

He uses those heat-set brass inserts so it closes up securely. Even supplies a little wrench to tighten it up.

It will come from Canada, so will be a week or so until it arrives. It was packed well inside a big box, and made it through the gauntlet that is USPS ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the case. I checked the site and the $15.95 case costs $16.95 to ship!

Thanks for the heads up on the case. I checked the site and the $15.95 case costs $16.95 to ship!

Yeah, but it came in a box much larger than needed and packed well to keep USPS from smashing it. I was worried since it was so small it would be crushed by the time it arrived.

Here are a few more. A few months later I added one of Ian Maverick's HiRes Graphyx boards. Here's the board installed with a few pics of it being used via TRS-Pic.

Oh you guys are dangerous! I'm so sitting on the fence right now, but space and practicality issues are holding me back.

BTW - If you don't mind me asking, how much of an investment (ON AVERAGE) do you think a Mod IV in great condition would cost with a hires board and a M3SE?

Oh you guys are dangerous! I'm so sitting on the fence right now, but space and practicality issues are holding me back.

BTW - If you don't mind me asking, how much of an investment (ON AVERAGE) do you think a Mod IV in great condition would cost with a hires board and a M3SE?

Are we talking a Model 4 with drives or without? On eBay you could get one with drives for $200 to $300 or so, plus shipping.

As far as the M3SE, you can get one for $275 if you go direct through the website: http://bartlettlabs.com/M3SE/pricing.html or $300 if you go through eBay.

The graphics board Ian Mavric sells is $99 on eBay but he does list "or best offer" so I'm sure there is some wiggle room there if you want to try. Maybe you can get a discount by emailing him directly as well.

You might also want to get one of the auto-boot EPROMs he has available (bartlettlabs.com) if you get a M3SE. They are $15 for a non-gate array and $20 for a gate array model. I'm using one currently with a FreHD on my Model 4.

• Like 1