IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

Sickens me that companies think people like Billy Mitchel represents the gaming community.... :roll:

Make a good retro product and us retro enthusiasts will follow, this nonsense is not needed.

post-10336-0-69766300-1516494100.jpg

• Like 4

Sickens me that companies think people like Billy Mitchel represents the gaming community.... :roll:

Make a good retro product and us retro enthusiasts will follow, this nonsense is not needed.

attachicon.gifEg0iV.jpg

Like Beats Audio by Dr Dre. Just pay a celeb top dollar for an endorsement so you can charge 300% over what the product is worth at retail.

Not saying that's what happened here, but arcade purists like Billy Mitchel are the last people on Earth you would find seriously gaming on aftermarket hardware. Not really sure if this is a paid endorsement or a tounge-in-cheek photo op. Billy looks pretty sarcastic with his pose.

• Like 1

Might have given that promo photo more credit if he had the thumbs up by his head with his left hand and the console extended outwards with his right. Add in a grin and one winking eye as well. (yes, that is a pop culture reference, but I am not explaining it).

Would the reference character be orange by chance?

Setting silliness aside... there are things I don't quite get looking back.

They can use an older version of Stella legally because of the way it is licensed, right?

To use the newer version, it is more complicated. Not only do they have to release the source code changes they made, but they also have to release the code of how the cart interfaces with the hardware and talks to Stella. That part with the latest version of Stella cannot be propriety and has to be made public for the license the latest version. Do I have that right? (I am also unclear if they need to seek permission from everyone that contributes to Stella).

I assume that there are huge differences between the old version of Stella and a new one, so if they are leaving up to the end user to install a newer version, how is that legally handled without violating the terms of the license for later versions of Stella?

• Like 1

How much could it possibly cost to get a dumb blurry photo of Billy Mitchell with your unreleased product? I would think he'd be more than happy with just the exposure. He's not exactly a cultural treasure

Edit: here's what they wrote above these pictures. Does that sound like he was compensated for the 45 seconds spent mugging for the camera? I think not

The man. The myth. The legend. Billy Mitchell, the arcade record-breaking master was kind enough to stop by, talk games, and enlighten us with his ultimate arcade wisdom! Here he is holding our RetroN 77 and MegaRetroN HD!!!!! Thanks for the visit, sir!

• Like 3

Might have given that promo photo more credit if he had the thumbs up by his head with his left hand and the console extended outwards with his right. Add in a grin and one winking eye as well. (yes, that is a pop culture reference, but I am not explaining it).

Setting silliness aside... there are things I don't quite get looking back.

They can use an older version of Stella legally because of the way it is licensed, right?

To use the newer version, it is more complicated. Not only do they have to release the source code changes they made, but they also have to release the code of how the cart interfaces with the hardware and talks to Stella. That part with the latest version of Stella cannot be propriety and has to be made public for the license the latest version. Do I have that right? (I am also unclear if they need to seek permission from everyone that contributes to Stella).

I assume that there are huge differences between the old version of Stella and a new one, so if they are leaving up to the end user to install a newer version, how is that legally handled without violating the terms of the license for later versions of Stella?

Google the movie Dogma. I was actually going to make a photo, but that might offend some people.

Jesus Christ. Picture = 1000 words, proven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Christ

post-2410-0-61669400-1516549462.jpg

• Like 1

Precisely, the license of Stella was changed to the GPLv2 more than 15 years ago (not 100% sure about the timeframe). They may have licensed a prior version if they managed to strike a deal with Brad Mott. However, in order to use the GPLed version without disclosing any changes under the GPL, they'd have to relicense it under a non-GPL license. This would require agreement of all contributors to Stella since the licensing change, which is next to impossible (and, needless to say, has not happened).

In order to use Stella under the GPL, they'd have to release any modifications to Stella under the GPL as wellL. However, as Stephen detailed earlier on this thread, there would be ways to hook up the cartridge dumper without infecting it with the GPL, e.g. a separate process that communicates via IPC (a network socket, for example). The same holds true for other interface layers between Stella and the hardware.

This is where things really start to smell fishy imho :)
  • You can just compile a vanilla version of Stella and drop it onto the box? Then they could have just shipped it to begin with, end of story.
  • You can compile a patched version of Stella and drop it onto the box? The patch has to be GPL, and they could have just shipped it, end of story.
  • You can compile a patched version of Stella, link it to proprietary libraries and drop it onto the box? The result is a derived work that is not licensed under the GPL and, therefore, illegal.

So, I clearly fail to see the magic here. Either you can run a GPLed version of Stella on the box, or you can't --- it doesn't matter whether it is shipped or installed later.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 2

How much could it possibly cost to get a dumb blurry photo of Billy Mitchell with your unreleased product? I would think he'd be more than happy with just the exposure. He's not exactly a cultural treasure

Edit: here's what they wrote above these pictures. Does that sound like he was compensated for the 45 seconds spent mugging for the camera? I think not

good point. we have no evidence a paid dndorsement took place. maybe he was in attendance and did an impromtu photo op. if hyperkin used it for marketing, more power to them...

• Like 1

good point. we have no evidence a paid dndorsement took place. maybe he was in attendance and did an impromtu photo op. if hyperkin used it for marketing, more power to them...

Yeah, I don't see a problem with that.

I met Billy Mitchell and Walter Day (of Twin Galaxies fame) at a pinball tournament/convention in Denver...I chatted briefly, watched him play some Berzerk...And then him and Walter signed my Limited edition Pac Man bumper sticker haha, which they were selling for $5 each...I had them dig me out #69 of 250...So I could do the obligatory Bill & Ted style "69 Dude!"...They both seemed really nice, and at earlier times at the convention, they had been drawing crowds like real rockstars...

Didn't hurt that their movies were showing onsite too...And yes they are somewhat celebrities of the video game world...so...

• Like 1

I know what they're going for but they should have used a hot woman instead.

Good news here. They could persuade the girls from the fantastic game "Beat em and Eat em" for the advertising-trip. :P

After the hot woman of "Custers Revenge" said "NOOOOOOO", i think it`s the best solution now. :-D

Look here

post-41260-0-15446600-1516579390_thumb.png

Think, the product will be a big success now.

• Like 6