IGNORED

Old computers for "spare parts" -- therapy thread

OLD CS1

We all do it. We pick up another console, another computer, another whatever for the sole purpose of having spare parts around.

Some actually do part out a working machine for whatever they need to keep an old one going. Some swap them out in whole.

Then some are like me. I have two working Commodore 64 bread-bins sitting here. I need a keyboard for my C64 Reloaded in a clear Kickstarter case. I pulled a grubby one from a dead 64, but I have two working units.

Sitting right here. Seriously. I can reach out and touch them. They feel so pretty.

But I just cannot bear to pull them apart... for parts.

Oh, if only this was limited to my Commodores. Alas, I have the same problem with my Amiga and TI stuff.

I hope I am not alone in this. Please. Someone. Tell me I am not alone. This is our time for group therapy, our dawn of catharsis; no longer must we suffer alone in silence.

Join me, brothers.

• Like 1

I've had the "one of each version" disease until recently.
Apple II+, IIe, IIgs, IIc Plus, Franklin Ace, Laser 128EX, Apple III
CoCo 1, 2, 3, White CoCo 1, MC-10
Oric 1, Oric Atmos
etc...

The herd is much thinner now.... and it's difficult to pass up selling machines for up to 5 times what I paid for them.

my problem is i buy a machine for parts then end up fixing it so have to order a new one for parts lol its a endless cycle

this goes for consoles arcade games and now vintage computers lol i have 3 untested apple IIe's on the way lol for parts

more than likely i will end up with at least 2 working ones lol

Edited by discgolfer72
  • Like 1

my problem is i buy a machine for parts then end up fixing it so have to order a new one for parts lol its a endless cycle

this goes for consoles arcade games and now vintage computers lol i have 3 untested apple IIe's on the way lol for parts

more than likely i will end up with at least 2 working ones lol

Ya same here, I will use this one for parts on it just needs x ill get x meanwhile most of my personal machines she half working junk that really should be the parts machine Edited by Osgeld

Ya same here, I will use this one for parts on it just needs x ill get x meanwhile most of my personal machines she half working junk that really should be the parts machine

lol that's how my personal arcade collection is lol

all the stuff that was headed for parts that "works" but not clean or nice enough to sell in my shop lol

space invaders dented coin door

mame machine no bezl

golden tee live small 22 inch led installed

only thing nice and perfect is my old playmatic space gambler pinball and I only kept it because I don't want to deal with the costumer when it does break (parts are impossible to find)

I have a busted A1000 that I use as donor for my A500 and A2000. I think I also have one or two C64 breadbin cases with untested keyboards. Don't really know what to do with them. Have a few LCD screen that are gathering dust, a 19" and a 22" both 16:9 that I've replaced with my huion 22" pen display and with a 29" 3840x1080. I also have a laptop that's gathering dust since and my old Dell XPS8700 which is only used as a software repository, download manager for my Amiga.

Those are the parts I could get rid off.

I also have a great accumulation of electronics components and parts.

But I really want to concentrate on the A2000, A500 and the TI99/4a now. I'm almost done hardware wise with a ram expansion being traded for, a IDE4Zorro on the way, a mouse and KS3.1 also on the way. I'm watching for an IDE CD-R on eBay.

Oh, who am I kidding... I'll never stop. Hunting parts and systems is part of this hobby that I love!

• Like 1

But I really want to concentrate on the A2000, A500 and the TI99/4a now. I'm almost done hardware wise with a ram expansion being traded for, a IDE4Zorro on the way, a mouse and KS3.1 also on the way. I'm watching for an IDE CD-R on eBay.

I have a metric shyt-tonne of IDE CD drives. PM me. You sure you do not want an IDE CD-RW? Got those, too.

I kind of did in the past. My current collection is like:

1- Apple II (a couple of models).

2- Ti-59 calculator, TRS-80 Pocket Computers 1, 2, and 4.

3- Classic 486 DX/2-50 & Pentium III @ 1.4GHz.

Neat and manageable. I acquired some junker units as parts doners. I broke them down into their basic components to have a supply of ready spares to support my official collection. I have things like screws, fittings, belts for the Disk II, custom chips, rollers, cable ends, connectors, screws, sockets, some hybrid-looking parts, miscellaneous things like that. And in some cases a duplicate, working, but cosmetically fucked-up entire unit.

At one time I was doing this for all my consoles and arcade cabs and other computers. It got to be seriously overwhelming, so I said fuck-it and out it went. It became impossible to enjoy what I did have!

• Like 1

I have a metric shyt-tonne of IDE CD drives. PM me. You sure you do not want an IDE CD-RW? Got those, too.

Me too. And for some reason every time I find a boxed new one I pick it up anyway. I picked up two brand new unused boxed IDE CD RW drives (one from Goodwill, one from the Salvation Army) last week for a buck each. I couldn't imagine going to ebay for something like that ;)

ok here's my deal

I purged all IDE optical drives, YAY finally done

then I get a deal on a original xbox, which needs PC mod tools, which need to be setup via a linux utility that is pretty much a custom bare bones distro of debian

that has no problem booting off of anything, but then the dickheads point all its scripts directly to a specific file .... WHICH ONLY WORKS ON A IDE DRIVE PORT 1 SLAVE

AHHHHHHHHHAHRHAHHRHARHAHRHAHGH!

so yea as soon as I get them all gone I get a xbox to pimp out and Im in a frantic hunt for a stupid IDE CD / DVD drive

• Like 1

To make matter worse, I just uncovered where I had stashed my original C64C and C128. The 64C is in fantastic condition. The 128 not so much, but it also did not come to me in the best shape to start but I also heavily modified it and it has also yellowed badly.

I am actually pretty proud now to have located all of my originals: TI-99/4A, Commodore 64 bread-bin (though it has been parted out after failing,) Commodore 64C, Commodore 128, and Amiga 500 (just the case and keyboard, since the motherboard has been replaced numerous times.) Pretty cool, really -- something I can display and show off or maybe hand down.

• Like 1

ok here's my deal

I purged all IDE optical drives, YAY finally done

then I get a deal on a original xbox, which needs PC mod tools, which need to be setup via a linux utility that is pretty much a custom bare bones distro of debian

that has no problem booting off of anything, but then the dickheads point all its scripts directly to a specific file .... WHICH ONLY WORKS ON A IDE DRIVE PORT 1 SLAVE

AHHHHHHHHHAHRHAHHRHARHAHRHAHGH!

so yea as soon as I get them all gone I get a xbox to pimp out and Im in a frantic hunt for a stupid IDE CD / DVD drive

I remember doing this myself...same mod...same custom linux. I got lucky the day before and someone gifted me a IBM thinkcenter with an IDE CD drive. I remember thinking I was so damn lucky to have had that handed to me at that specific time as I only had a PC with SATA connections at that time. When you get it together make sure to save a backup of the HDD key (from the original HDD) somewhere. Burn it to a disk or something. If you want to change the HDD someday and it dies you will need it!

Edited by eightbit

i have 3 994As, 1 broken set of TI sticks, 1 working set of TI sticks, 1 broken Slik Stik (that im repairing), 2 Atari sticks from my Flashback, and more 'modern' computer pieces and bits than I should hang on to probably ;) (3-4 cases with partial builds, usb cables, dsub cables, dvi cables, power cables, keyboards, mice, the list goes on).

I think maybe I'm in the right place here ;)

I was given 3 colecovisions and two intellivisions to try to fix. One of the intellivisions has the cords cut including the power cord (who does that?) I don't own a colecovision anymore so I don't have a power supply to test or diagnose it with. I've got a big box sitting here that I don't know what to do with but I can't bring myself to take it to the electronics recycler.

I was given 3 colecovisions and two intellivisions to try to fix. One of the intellivisions has the cords cut including the power cord (who does that?) I don't own a colecovision anymore so I don't have a power supply to test or diagnose it with. I've got a big box sitting here that I don't know what to do with but I can't bring myself to take it to the electronics recycler.

I agree completely with your aversion to sending that stuff to a recycler. If you really don't want to keep the stuff, there may be people here who would take them off your hands for the cost of shipping.

Are you aware of this thread?: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/174200-spreading-the-love-with-free-games-and-more-edicion-cinco/

I would take them, been itching to do some coleco work, but I know the postage from Ontario + time + parts would make it extremely difficult to break even

That's the reason I've balked at the idea. Each colecovision would easily be about $25 to ship and the intellivisions probably the same. I sent a facebook message to a local game store owner who does repair work and sells retro consoles. Maybe he can use some parts. If not I may try here and see what happens. I've also got some apple II disks I need to post in that free thread

I already have two 800XL's with black screens I need to diagnose, a TI/99 with the same issue and an XEGS that needs the power button replaced, not to mention my next project which is a heavy sixer that needs some serious love (also with a black screen). I don't have room for more project systems.

I have spare parts all over the place... but it is starting to get overwhelming. I actually started selling off some spare parts just to restore sanity. But yeah, I am guilt as sin as well.

Lol - that's reassuring to hear! I thought I may be the only one. Honestly - you could make a documentary about the stuff I have - or at least an episode in some kind of hoarders TV show. How many ZX Spectrums? I seriously have no idea.

ok so i need help lol , I think we need to start old computers anonymous

bought 2 lots of 3 consoles each off feepay

was wanting to get some good keyboards to fix my one machine that has a bad keyboard and have a few backups

they were sold as all broken for parts only

started testing

1st one

booted right up and worked flawless

2nd

booted up with bad crappy membrane keyboard

3rd

had a game in it booted to tone (pulled out game and bam working , even with other games)

4th

nothing at all dead (found burnt lifted trace on power supply , replaced with power pcb from membrane one now works flawless )

5th

booted up fine missing keys on keyboard (replaced keys with ones from my machine with a bad keyboard )

6th

booted up fine missing alpha lock key (got missing alpha lock key from the membrane machine with bad keyboard)

sooooooo lol

didn't fix my machine I wanted to fix but now have 5 new fully working machines lol

I'm guessing the seller used that included game to test the machines and that's why he could not get them working lol

post-63035-0-67578700-1516919803_thumb.jpg

Edited by discgolfer72

• 2 weeks later...