IGNORED

The Atari 5200 Podcast (New Podcast)

David Alexander

Here's a few pictures. 5 total games purchased from the same seller. The Rescue on Fractalus and Missile Command are the exact contents. No overlay for Fractalus. The overlay for Missile Command was in the slots on the cartridge. It does not appear to have been cut. The board is from the Ballblazer, which does not work at all nor was an overlay included with that game. The seller is going to replace it. Pacman and Soccer were the same as Missile Command with just one overlay attached to the cartridge.

Thoughts?

Rescue on Fractalus & Ballblazzer have no overlays however the Missile Command is used. Atari published games come with two overlays still attached together and should be in mint condition. If the games come with overlays already loose that means the game is not new. Best to return it to the seller.

The Atari 5200 Podcast will be coming to YouTube with added content and live stream segments such as "Ask the Atari 5200 Podcast"

Please take some time and subscribe to our new channel.

Be patient as this is a work in progress and part of our future plans to reach more listeners with the awesome truth that the 5200 was and is the best pre-crash console of all time

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr07TIiQzl6YM0b8lIfgrpQ?view_as=subscriber

• Like 1

The Atari 5200 Type-2 Self Centering Joystick http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/5200/5200joy.html

These pictures are courtesy of Curt Vendel. I hope someone can figure out how to make a modern equivalent as this would be amazing.

Looking at these images makes me think of these:

post-9874-0-48392200-1517236459.jpg

Joystick analog Thumb stick for PS3 controller

The above is a replacement part for PS3 analog joystick. It is the X,Y pots mounted together. I don't know if the spring tension would be strong enough to use the 5200 joystick itself, but it wouldn't be that hard to 3D print a new 5200 styled joystick that is lighter weight. Of course I don't know if the pot values are close enough to use on the 5200, but in theory these should work. Just a thought for anyone out there that wants to try it. I've got way too many other projects I'm working on to do it myself, but I thought I would put the info out there.

• Like 2

Looking at these images makes me think of these:

attachicon.gifanalogThumbStick.jpg

Joystick analog Thumb stick for PS3 controller

The above is a replacement part for PS3 analog joystick. It is the X,Y pots mounted together. I don't know if the spring tension would be strong enough to use the 5200 joystick itself, but it wouldn't be that hard to 3D print a new 5200 styled joystick that is lighter weight. Of course I don't know if the pot values are close enough to use on the 5200, but in theory these should work. Just a thought for anyone out there that wants to try it. I've got way too many other projects I'm working on to do it myself, but I thought I would put the info out there.

If you could get the POTS to output to where the 5200 could read them then yes, you could use them as replacements. I can't find the webpage anymore but a few years ago, there was a guy that took a CX52 and replaced the joystick mechanism with one from an original Xbox controller. He then filed down a metal rod so that it would be the same height as the 5200 stick, attached it to the mechanism, and then covered it up with the boot so it looked like everything was stock. Well, except that it was also wired up as an Xbox controller and used the Xbox's plug. He used it to play 5200 games with a 5200 emulator on his modded Xbox. i can't find the website anymore though but the point is, similar things can be done.

Doing similar but outputting the same as regular 5200 POTs would give you a self-centering compatible joystick retrofitting solution. The Flex Circuit would still be an issue. You could go the gold dot route, the tin foil route, or, as I continue hoping for, a thin PCB replacement option with dome switches. Dome Switches were used in the CX53 Trak-Ball to great success. Micro switches don't work well with the mushy buttons; Retrogamegirl did that years ago and she didn't like the results.

As for the pics, don't stone me on this, but Ralf made the comment on Facebook [in the original postings of Curt's pics] that the mechanism Atari designed is basically the same thing that everyone since then has used for self-centering analog thumbstick controllers... It's a shame Atari Inc and Atari Corp didn't bring it to market. Considering Atari Corp was still selling off inventory way into 1987-1988 even to Atari Computer dealers who never carried the 5200 back-in-the-day, I guess that would be reason enough not to do a production run of the CX52L then...

Edited by Lynxpro

If you could get the POTS to output to where the 5200 could read them then yes, you could use them as replacements. I can't find the webpage anymore but a few years ago, there was a guy that took a CX52 and replaced the joystick mechanism with one from an original Xbox controller. He then filed down a metal rod so that it would be the same height as the 5200 stick, attached it to the mechanism, and then covered it up with the boot so it looked like everything was stock. Well, except that it was also wired up as an Xbox controller and used the Xbox's plug. He used it to play 5200 games with a 5200 emulator on his modded Xbox. i can't find the website anymore though but the point is, similar things can be done.

Doing similar but outputting the same as regular 5200 POTs would give you a self-centering compatible joystick retrofitting solution. The Flex Circuit would still be an issue. You could go the gold dot route, the tin foil route, or, as I continue hoping for, a thin PCB replacement option with dome switches. Dome Switches were used in the CX53 Trak-Ball to great success. Micro switches don't work well with the mushy buttons; Retrogamegirl did that years ago and she didn't like the results.

As for the pics, don't stone me on this, but Ralf made the comment on Facebook [in the original postings of Curt's pics] that the mechanism Atari designed is basically the same thing that everyone since then has used for self-centering analog thumbstick controllers... It's a shame Atari Inc and Atari Corp didn't bring it to market. Considering Atari Corp was still selling off inventory way into 1987-1988 even to Atari Computer dealers who never carried the 5200 back-in-the-day, I guess that would be reason enough not to do a production run of the CX52L then...

I realize the output values are important, that's why I stated:

Of course I don't know if the pot values are close enough to use on the 5200, but in theory these should work.

In all honesty, the parts I listed above are only $1.89 for two of those assemblies and that's with free shipping. If someone has a controller or two that doesn't function anyway (and has some very basic soldering and electronic skills) they should be able to put this together in a couple of hours.

I really don't think the flex circuit is all that big of an issue. When I had a few 5200's I just use a small hole punch, some aluminum foil and some glue and made replacement conductive pads. It isn't hard. Heck, you don't even need the glue if you buy some aluminum tape. If you really want to fix it right, get a conductive pen.

I wish I could do this myself, but I currently don't own a 5200 and I only have one controller (which was only used to check overlay fit). I don't know, maybe one of these days I'll get around to trying this. The biggest possible issue is going to be the output value of those potentiometers. but again, at $1.89 it's not a big loss if it doesn't work (and I'm sure there's a way to change out the POTs to get a different value).

...I wish I could do this myself, but I currently don't own a 5200 and I only have one controller (which was only used to check overlay fit). I don't know, maybe one of these days I'll get around to trying this. The biggest possible issue is going to be the output value of those potentiometers. but again, at $1.89 it's not a big loss if it doesn't work (and I'm sure there's a way to change out the POTs to get a different value).

This looks like a project I'm game to try. I have a couple dead 5200 controllers, why not.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• Like 2