IGNORED

Which system had the better Library 3DO or Sega Saturn? (No imports)

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which has the better library (No imports)

• 3DO
    • Sega Saturn

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

​3DO VS NeoGeo CD I say 3DO

Your other choices were reasonable but this is just... uh... whacky. :woozy: Neo Geo CD (despite the annoying load times) had a good amount of Neo Geo releases up to the 99' titles.

Samurai Shodown 1-4, Pulstar, Windjammers, Neo Turfmasters, Real Bout Fatal Furys, King of Fighters, Metal Slug 1/2, Last Blade, Twinkle Star Sprites, etc... these are all heavy hitters with amazing replay value.

Outside of Road Rash and a few of the fighters, I can't see many 3DO games matching the neo geo CD in terms of sheer gameplay value.

Edited by keepdreamin

Um.. Reality check. The 3DO basically kickstarted the "proper" 32-bit console generation.

Austin, the "why is the importance of ColecoVision almost never brought up historically?" thread (started by the same user, who mercifully has been absent since dec 1) called, and they want their drama back.

Let's not pretend that being first is more important than being best. CDi, TurboCD, Sega CD, Amiga CD32 ... it's not like "stick a CD drive in an underpowered computer thing and hook it to a television" would never have existed had 3DO never existed.

While we're at it, let's thank BlackBerry for inventing the smartphone.

Your other choices were reasonable but this is just... uh... whacky. :woozy: Neo Geo CD (despite the annoying load times) had a good amount of Neo Geo releases up to the 99' titles.

Samurai Shodown 1-4, Pulstar, Windjammers, Neo Turfmasters, Real Bout Fatal Furys, King of Fighters, Metal Slug 1/2, Last Blade, Twinkle Star Sprites, etc... these are all heavy hitters with amazing replay value.

Outside of Road Rash and a few of the fighters, I can't see many 3DO games matching the neo geo CD in terms of sheer gameplay value.

I'll defend it. Neo Geo CD was full of side-fighters, but 3DO had lots of tunnel shooters, FMV fun, and space games. Star Control II, TWO Wing Commander games, Return Fire, Star Fighter, Need for Speed ... perhaps it's down to personal tastes (Western PC-style games vs Japanese arcade games) but I'd much rather have a 3DO than a Neo Geo CD, both then and now (though now, I don't have much use for either)

Neo Geo CD is fantastic for shooters, sports titles, puzzle games, platformers, beat em ups, etc. It's just fighting games that have unreasonable load times, in general. But most games have pretty decent load times and are identical to their MVS/AES counterparts for a fraction of the price. Some games are even better, with awesome arranged soundtracks or exclusive extra content, like the extra course in Neo Turf Masters.

I own a consolized Neo Geo MVS but the Neo CD still gets more use than the 3DO.

Edited by famicommander
  • Like 2

The NeoGeo CD is a poor man's Neo Geo. I agree that the Neo Geo blows the 3DO out of the lake, but it's just that weird thing I do where I'd rather have a Neo and a 3DO and I'd never consider buying a NeoGeo CD. Also : Samurai Showdown is crazy good on 3DO, so it could probably have handled the other SNK Fighters and puzzlers.

I'll defend it. Neo Geo CD was full of side-fighters, but 3DO had lots of tunnel shooters, FMV fun, and space games. Star Control II, TWO Wing Commander games, Return Fire, Star Fighter, Need for Speed ... perhaps it's down to personal tastes (Western PC-style games vs Japanese arcade games) but I'd much rather have a 3DO than a Neo Geo CD, both then and now (though now, I don't have much use for either)

​Sure, the libraries are quite different and the 3DO probably has more variety. That's a great point even though it wasn't my reasoning.

• Like 1

What people fail to understand about the Neo Geo CD is that you can buy a CD console and Pulstar for less than the cost of Pulstar on AES or MVS. The CD system is a perfect compliment to an MVS.

If you're interested in actually playing Neo Geo games, a CD console is almost a must unless you just want to go the flash cart route and buy a NeoSD. Stuff like Pulstar, Windjammers, Viewpoint, etc is like 1/5 the price on CD for the exact same game.

Just don't get fighting games on the CD format. Get those on MVS.

Um.. Reality check. The 3DO basically kickstarted the "proper" 32-bit console generation.

Hey! I didn't realize you're Austin Mackert, whomst've I subscribed to on the YouTubes.

This places your comment in a better perspective, because I've seen many 3DO videos from your channel and I know you're knowledgeable when it comes to the 3DO.

Hopefully my remark didn't come off as too snarky, I did want to match your tone tho.

Let's just get to the realistic fact that any machine that had to die once the PSX/Saturn came to the market couldn't _really_ be part of that generation. I tend to fantasize that better devs could have made games that closely matched early PS1/Saturn titles, but it's just not how it went down, sadly.

Hey! I didn't realize you're Austin Mackert, whomst've I subscribed to on the YouTubes.

This places your comment in a better perspective, because I've seen many 3DO videos from your channel and I know you're knowledgeable when it comes to the 3DO.

Yep, that's me. :)

Let's just get to the realistic fact that any machine that had to die once the PSX/Saturn came to the market couldn't _really_ be part of that generation. I tend to fantasize that better devs could have made games that closely matched early PS1/Saturn titles, but it's just not how it went down, sadly.

The Dreamcast had to die, but does that mean it shouldn't be grouped with the PS2/XBOX/GameCube era? If we go back further, should we not lump the Turbo Grafx with the 16-bit era (Genesis, SNES, etc) because it bombed in North America? Not at all and the same logic should also apply to the 3DO.

• Like 1

Yep, that's me. :)

The Dreamcast had to die, but does that mean it shouldn't be grouped with the PS2/XBOX/GameCube era? If we go back further, should we not lump the Turbo Grafx with the 16-bit era (Genesis, SNES, etc) because it bombed in North America? Not at all and the same logic should also apply to the 3DO.

Ah but the 3DO ran from 1993 to 1996. The N64 had just barely hit the market when the 3DO Interactive Player went under. It lived and died mostly before the 32/64bit generation came to be.

​The Dreamcast was a more serious contender to the PS2/XBOX/GameCube generation, it had its life cycle in the same years, even if it came out in 1999.

And the TG16 is generally considered a proper 16bit-er. It released here the same year as the Genesis and it was clearly more powerful than the NES.

​But this is all semantics, really. No one ever really talks about the 32bit generation as being : 3DO, Jaguar, PSX, Saturn and N64. It's mostly the latter 3.

Ah but the 3DO ran from 1993 to 1996. The N64 had just barely hit the market when the 3DO Interactive Player went under. It lived and died mostly before the 32/64bit generation came to be.

​The Dreamcast was a more serious contender to the PS2/XBOX/GameCube generation, it had its life cycle in the same years, even if it came out in 1999.

And the TG16 is generally considered a proper 16bit-er. It released here the same year as the Genesis and it was clearly more powerful than the NES.

​But this is all semantics, really. No one ever really talks about the 32bit generation as being : 3DO, Jaguar, PSX, Saturn and N64. It's mostly the latter 3.

"yes, and"

look at the top of this magazine cover from December 1996. 3DO was on the margins, mostly a footnote, but that's kinda where AtariAgers live, too. It wasn't a featured contender for "The Big Fight," but it existed at the same time, and there were probably a few people who still enjoyed it or were happy to pick up remainders at a discount.

post-2410-0-08184900-1517326067.png

"yes, and"

look at the top of this magazine cover from December 1996. 3DO was on the margins, mostly a footnote, but that's kinda where AtariAgers live, too. It wasn't a featured contender for "The Big Fight," but it existed at the same time, and there were probably a few people who still enjoyed it or were happy to pick up remainders at a discount.

attachicon.gifdecember 1996.PNG

Hey -- Next Generation! I prefered Game Players (same publisher). They were usually pretty favorable to the 3DO and gave good reviews, even if I could smell the bribe once in a while.

​I agree it's all semantics.

Objectively, the 3DO was still alive when the PSX and Saturn hit the market. So much so that the better EA and Crystal Dynamics games from the 3DO library were ported to the other consoles. But look at the cover : Sony VS Nintendo VS Sega. This goes with what I'm saying : the 3DO never really had a dog in this race.

​And the header also mentions the M2 as if it were an actual product, and today we all know it's as real as unicorns. Matsushita must've been shooting money their way lol

Edited by Montrealer

​And the header also mentions the M2 as if it were an actual product, and today we all know it's as real as unicorns. Matsushita must've been shooting money their way lol

They're just covering their butts, hedging their bets. Another example: Project X was the NUON, undeserving of being mentioned in the same breath as Dreamcast in my opinion. 3DO would have made sense in that spot, Saturn even more so, even by August 1998:

post-2410-0-81168200-1517332680.png

• Like 1

They're just covering their butts, hedging their bets. Another example: Project X was the NUON, undeserving of being mentioned in the same breath as Dreamcast in my opinion. 3DO would have made sense in that spot, Saturn even more so, even by August 1998:

attachicon.gifAug 98.PNG

I had to chuckle at "The next console war is here" while they show N64, PSX, Dreamcast and a hypothetical system called Project X.

• Like 1

ive been watching bad influence and its funny

they talk about the 3do like its the bees knees

and talk about the m2 like its almost on store shelves

then they make comments about the ultra 64 like they don't believe that its even going to be real lol

https://archive.org/details/bad_influence_se4ep14

love how they call the like of the 3do and Saturn the new super consoles

wish we had a show like that here in the 90's

• Like 1

ive been watching bad influence and its funny

they talk about the 3do like its the bees knees

and talk about the m2 like its almost on store shelves

then they make comments about the ultra 64 like they don't believe that its even going to be real lol

https://archive.org/details/bad_influence_se4ep14

love how they call the like of the 3do and Saturn the new super consoles

wish we had a show like that here in the 90's

lol that intro. It looks like we're INSIDE a 3DO game.

I had to chuckle at "The next console war is here" while they show N64, PSX, Dreamcast and a hypothetical system called Project X.

I LOVED Next Generation for the first few years, when Saturn was amazing and we all looked forward to Playstation and a multi-page preview of Mario 64 was the most interesting thing in the world.

It was easy to get tired of the same old loop especially when the "next generation" seemed a lot like the last generation. I subscribed to EDGE (UK equivalent) for a long time anyway.

I have a Nuon. There is nothing wrong with it. Just needs more games in the library

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

• 4 weeks later...