IGNORED

Grail of the Gods (rogue-like or mini-RPG)

nanochess

Hi all.

I was exploring AtariAge and it came to my view the port of Grail of the Gods done by majestyx for the TI99/4A, and went after the original source in Dark BASIC.

After giving it a look I saw it could be ported to Intellivision and of course, IntyBASIC.

IntyBASIC is speedy enough to preserve the original maze generation code.

I had to redesign the status bar, some monster names (no more than 8 letters), the messages (caveat with my grammar! :P and made a scrolling window of dungeon.

I've used JLP features because the maze is big (20x20) and there is a point-of-vision array taking note of the places you don't "see"

The game essentially is a Rogue-like or mini-RPG, you move using exclusively the disc, get things or descend dungeon moving over them, if you get near a monster the battle will start automatically, the monsters doesn't move, the weapons/armours simply increase your stats, etc, etc.

Anyway make sure you get weapon/armours because your current ones will waste over battles.

Enjoy it!

P.S: I only have played the first 3 dungeons, so still the Grail of the Gods is to be discovered ;)

P.S.2: Find annex source code so brave souls could try to put graphics, music and sound effects into this game ;)

P.S.3: A brave soul, Kiwi, made pretty cool graphics for the dungeon and monsters in post #10 http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275233-grail-of-the-gods-rogue-like-or-mini-rpg/?do=findComment&comment=3954578

P.S.4: Mixed Kiwi and carlsson versions and added a nice title letters, also for game over and you win screens. The text version remains in grail.rom and the new version is grail_plus.rom (everything in a single zip file grail_20180206.zip)

P.S.5: Added ARTRAG's nice sound effects. Thanks! Now in zip file grail_20180207.zip

P.S.6: Added Nyuundere's background music and PDF instruction sheet by mthompson. Thanks! also added a proper credit list in title screen ;) also pressing key 0 turns on/off music. Now in zip file grail_20180208.zip

P.S.7: Added footsteps sound effect when exiting dungeon. Added grail graphics by Kiwi (victory screen) and a skeleton for the game over screen. Now in zip file grail_20180209.zip

P.S.8: Added Game Over and Victory music by Nyuundere, BTW the previous version had title music disabled because I was testing sound effects. Now corrected in zip file grail_20180210.zip

https://youtu.be/lhAGy5OVgDk

(click to animate graphical version)

post-30245-0-20659300-1517966248.gif

(click to animate text version)
post-30245-0-38677500-1517889061.gif

grail.bas

grail.rom

grail_20180206.zip

grail_20180207.zip

grail_20180208.zip

grail_20180209.zip

grail_20180210.zip

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

This is pretty cool.

P.S.2: Find annex source code so brave souls could try to put graphics, music and sound effects into this game ;)

Oy... The array listing is 8 bit data, which the array is 8-bit. I'll have to figure out how to turn the gram bit on, then change the array data and then try to add the modded graphics. Hmm... Why do I keep modding your games? :P

Music and sounds, other brave souls can do that. It's one of my least favorite things to do when making games.

Ok I put in graphics into your game. To invoke the monster listing screen, at the title screen, press one of the bottom button, I'm unsure which side but it is mapped on b2. The Alt key in JZINTV, will bring up the monster listing screen. Pressing the side button on the monster screen will bring you to the item description screen to begin your quest. If you don't want to see what the later monster looks like, press the top side button.

I provided the source code, if anyone curious: grail.bas
I had to replace the title DO:WHILE with mine cheap goto:loop since I'm too tired to figure out how it works.

The item graphic -> monster graphic are in order.

The ROM:grailCD.bin
I did not intended to hit 16KB exactly. Uses the default $5000 mapping.

[mapping]
$0000 - $1FFF = $5000

And a single screenshot:

post-24767-0-51163700-1517921810.png

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 6

Ok I put in graphics into your game. To invoke the monster listing screen, at the title screen, press one of the bottom button, I'm unsure which side but it is mapped on b2. The Alt key in JZINTV, will bring up the monster listing screen. Pressing the side button on the monster screen will bring you to the item description screen to begin your quest. If you don't want to see what the later monster looks like, press the top side button.

I provided the source code, if anyone curious: attachicon.gifgrail.bas

I had to replace the title DO:WHILE with mine cheap goto:loop since I'm too tired to figure out how it works.

The ROM:attachicon.gifgrailCD.bin

[mapping]
$0000 - $1FFF = $5000

And a single screenshot:

attachicon.gifgrailgrx.png

I just posted some monster and item listing questions just after you posted, LOL! Can you post screen shots of both the monster and item listing so we can have them as a reference during game play, not just at the start? Also, is there a listing of the in game functions (i.e. heal/rest, pick up, drop, etc)? Thanks!

Edited by atarifan88

Great work! Only a question about jpl.

The plain console should have this ram:

RAM: 1456 byte

240 × 8 bit of Scratchpad ram

352 × 16 bit (704 bytes) system ram

512 × 8 bit graphic RAM

Could you use gram or 16bit ram for the maze?

The maze is 20x20 so I used word memory for it and there is another 20x20 array, 800 words in total.

Of course we can optimize the first maze to use only 4 bits per location, so it would use 200 bytes. And the second array only uses one bit, so it would use 50 bytes.

Still a little stretched for a standard Intellivision but of course the original programmer didn't thought about it.

Ok Lto flash! has JLP support.

No concern anymore

:thumbsup:

I provided the source code, if anyone curious: attachicon.gifgrail.bas

The ROM:attachicon.gifgrailCD.bin

And a single screenshot:

Wow! looks way too cool! :) you made pretty recognizable figures :)

I do! Bitchin'! Are there some instructions for the game (i.e. key to the map - monsters, items, etc)?

The instructions are "move with the disc", you move over items to take them, you move near monsters to battle them, you move over door to go deeper into dungeon.

No inventory as taking armor simply increases your armor, taking weapon increases your weaponry. Every battle will waste slightly your armor/weapon, so be sure you take armor/weapons along your way.

Battle is a must because without exp you'll be unable to defeat monsters in the next dungeons.

I just posted some monster and item listing questions just after you posted, LOL! Can you post screen shots of both the monster and item listing so we can have them as a reference during game play, not just at the start? Also, is there a listing of the in game functions (i.e. heal/rest, pick up, drop, etc)? Thanks!

Maybe we could use a key like in original Rogue to show meaning of each character while in game.

But in the meanwhile I simply ran the Kiwi version and took these screenshots :)

post-30245-0-64902500-1517928559.gif

post-30245-0-16863900-1517928562.gif

• Like 3

I'm having an issue getting this to start in JZINTV. I see the beginning screen and get to where it says "Dungeon: 1", but nothing happens. I have been hitting the keys and buttons and nothing happens. What else do I need to do to get it to start?

You should wait a little. The game is generating a random dungeon each time it says that message.

Edit: Oh yes, ARTRAG is right, I don't detect for JLP presence, you should add the --jlp switch when running jzintv.

I patched the game. I had more exp than the max exp which would make the stat look like Ex:16/9. And xp variable doesn't reset upon death and not really used by the game. Turns out the gold is the only one that increase the xp variable and not the 16-bit version of xp. So on line 255, I change the xp to #xp. Line 447 same thing.

PRINT AT 52 COLOR 5,"XP:",<>#xp,"/",<>rank*3'changed to 16-bit

Now it works.

grailCDa.bin

And you got me hooked on this game nanochess. :)

EDIT: Found that it don't erase the trailing number when leveling up when the #xp returns to 0. So it doesn't look like 0/152 after leveling up. So changing line:447 to:

PRINT AT 52 COLOR 5,"XP:",<.2>#xp,"/",<.2>rank*3'changed to 16-bit

Will fix it.

Updated ROM: grailCDb.bin

A few times, the dungeon will be generated but leave a 17x17 hole in the center of the map so armor/sword/potion pick ups aren't possible. I'm not sure if that the same as the original version.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1

I agree that sound effects are desired! However that is not really my forte. Instead I added a title music just for fun, though I don't know if you like it or not. :)

attachicon.gifgrail.bas

attachicon.gifgrail.rom

Wow! that's a cool melody :)

I patched the game. I had more exp than the max exp which would make the stat look like Ex:16/9. And xp variable doesn't reset upon death and not really used by the game. Turns out the gold is the only one that increase the xp variable and not the 16-bit version of xp. So on line 255, I change the xp to #xp. Line 447 same thing.

PRINT AT 52 COLOR 5,"XP:",<>#xp,"/",<>rank*3'changed to 16-bit

Now it works.

attachicon.gifgrailCDa.bin

And you got me hooked on this game nanochess. :)

EDIT: Found that it don't erase the trailing number when leveling up when the #xp returns to 0. So it doesn't look like 0/152 after leveling up. So changing line:447 to:

PRINT AT 52 COLOR 5,"XP:",<.2>#xp,"/",<.2>rank*3'changed to 16-bit

Will fix it.

Updated ROM: attachicon.gifgrailCDb.bin

A few times, the dungeon will be generated but leave a 17x17 hole in the center of the map so armor/sword/potion pick ups aren't possible. I'm not sure if that the same as the original version.

8) I need to check both things, maybe I made a mistake in the port.

• Like 1

Ok, mixed everything and added a few things. :grin:

* Allows to select difficulty (deeper dungeon ;) )

* Kiwi reported bug in xp (using xp variable instead of #xp in a few places).

* Added round view of dungeon using a precalculated sqrt table. (and extra comments in source code for First Spear ;) )

* Added graphics by Kiwi.

* Added title music by carlsson.

* Designed graphic letters for title, game over and you win screens.

* Added a small JLP/CC3 detection check.

Check post #1.

• Like 3