IGNORED

Sexiest old computer?

Sexy being in the eye of the beholder, there's the PPC-based BeBox...

4clXci0.png

The LEDs (named 'Das Blinkenlights') on the front of the case would bounce up and down based on the load on each of the two CPUs. It was really quite mesmerizing to watch in the dark.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 5

My very first work computer though not just for me it had many batch jobs running in the background. It was huge, beige and warm... just an awesome machine. It had a whopping 2Gig of memory and 8-bit color (24-bit color was an extra option) @ 1280x1024 with 19" monitor. This was some amazing power back in 1993!

_RS6000.GIF

Specs - RS/6000 590

And closer up shot

powerserver.jpg

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 4

And the sexiest peripheral ever back from '93. It was even called a "Spaceball". One of my co-workers did system board design so he used this awesome Spaceball: IBM 6094-030 Spaceball Model 030

Egads! I thought I had seen one of these before but could never find one, so I assumed it was a phantom of a fevered imagination. I must have one!

• Like 2

The Spaceball was pretty expensive back in the day. I'd guess they are pretty rare as a result.

I don't think many Spaceballs were made as they generally only sold with early mid 90's CAD/CAM Unix workstations. I know my workstation with maxed out 2 GB Memory was over $100,000 retail at the time.

Edited by thetick1

Egads! I thought I had seen one of these before but could never find one, so I assumed it was a phantom of a fevered imagination. I must have one!

It was pretty cool but very awkward to use at first. I used the Spaceall only a few times a week when I had debug an issue on my co-worker's workstation. The 8 buttons was pretty cool as he had them configured to launch applications and same buttons had an application specific use once inside the CAD applications.

Edited by thetick1

Having just received a Macintosh Classic II (non working no less) I do have to say that this is in my personal opinion bar none the sexiest classic computer. I never owned one and never really realized how small and compact this thing is. And the little dinky monitor...just awesome. This and the IIGS are my picks....but that is probably because I like the look of small monitors. It's the the Vectrex of the computer world ;)

My very first work computer though not just for me it had many batch jobs running in the background. It was huge, beige and warm... just an awesome machine. It had a whopping 2Gig of memory and 8-bit color (24-bit color was an extra option) @ 1280x1024 with 19" monitor. This was some amazing power back in 1993!

_RS6000.GIF

Specs - RS/6000 590

And closer up shot

powerserver.jpg

That machine truly is awesome.

For ~1993, 2 gigs of ram was pretty insane.

In 1995, I bought a dual Pentium 60 Acer Altos / 9000 server from CompUSA that used to run their exchange... and that only had 512mb of ram.

• 2 weeks later...