IGNORED

Sexiest old computer?

Those Sinclair machines have some serious stylin'. The keyboards look like they'd be just horrible to use, though. Any first-hand reviews from people here?

Had them back in the day (Spectrum + and Toast Rack) and have a JS128'd rubber key one now. I can say that the Plus and Toast Rack are better than the rubber key and the ZX81 before it... More than that, they're bloody awful ;) Not helped at all by the bizarre idea Sir Clive had of having all the basic commands on the keys, which was madness. Basically, in the day, you wanted a C64 (Atari sadly never really made an impact here), and if your parents couldn't afford one, you ended up with a Spectrum... Though saying all that... I kinda still have a lot of nostalgia for the little thing, even with it's many, many foibles.

EDIT - I really did just reply to an ancient post on this thread... So sorry...

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1

I always thought the Sun SPARCstation IPX was rather sexy in its own right. Chunky little thing with a surprising amount of power under the hood. A "mo-ped" kind of sexy.

Though, this might be just a bit too far. But it does bring a question to my mind: of all these sexy computers, in which one would you want to be buried?

Could not find a good image of one; this one is the largest (and an IPC which, aside from the grey feet instead of Sun purple, is very close to the IPX in looks.) I still have one sitting under my desk. I may do a photo session with it. Sadly one of the capacitors in its power supply leaked and aside from getting capacitor goo all over the place the power supply popped and I am not convinced something on the board did not pop with it.

Sparcstation-ipc-01.jpg

• Like 1

So a couple from me:

Old Cray stuff was unfeasably sexy, and almost certainly the worlds most expensive seating at the time.

oldcraycomputer.jpg

'Deep Blue' which was an RS/6000 SP frame built as a chess computer to beat a grand master. I like these anyhow as they're systems I used to work on. But they do look cool as hell in a computer room, especially if you have a few of them lined up next to each other.

Deep_Blue.jpg

There's some lovely old Apple home kit, it was always nicely designed.

The clamshell iBook

maxresdefault.jpg

The G4 Cube of course:

Apple-Power-Mac-G4-Cube.jpg

All of the Power Mac / Mac Pro line:

pmg4-graphite.jpg

1200px-Apple_Power_Macintosh_G5_Late_200

• Like 3

:D

It also just dawned on me that other than the Cray, everything I posted was a PowerPC based machine. PPC obviously just makes stuff cooler.

Oh you missed the best PPC ever though it was seriously underpowered compared to workstations of it's time. The IBM PPC Laptop from '94 or '95. It could quad-boot boot OS/2 (PPC version), Solaris 2.5, Windows NT 3.5 and AIX 4.1.3.

I had one of these awesome machines at an IBM lab. I would run around from lab to lab gather diagnostics and do simple debug when one of the pre-production AIX test machines crashed and we needed the memory dump and hardware state diagnostics. Mine had AIX 4.1.3, assembler, compiler, all AIX source code, firmware source code on the test machines, xldb (GUI debugger) and serial to jtag cable for diagnostics. It was a $15,000 laptop maxed out ($6,699 base) that obviously IBM could not sell at that price. I had pre-production model that looked like the first picture.

It was an early Woodfield type 6020 mentioned at http://www.os2museum.com/wp/ibm-thinkpad-power-series-850/

There were a couple of variations:

P9239201.jpg

ThinkPad850.jpg

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 3

@thetick1 - They are totally awesome!

Just a few other awesome features. It is the first laptop/computer to ever do true speech recognition back '95 using IBM AIX Ultimate Media Services (drivers and applications). I remember how cool it was as I used voice for my window manager (as mwm on AIX was primitive). The same speech recognition technology was released to the public as ViaVoice on OS/2 Intel just a bit later. As mentioned before mine was a pre-production prototype as it had an wimpy embedded controller as the processor 60Mhz 603 PPC (note NO "e"). It did have 96M of memory enough resources to recompile diagnostic code apps to debug a crashed lab AIX test machine real time.

A co-worker of mine worked on firmware testing and had a bunch of them with quad- boot : OS/2 (PPC version), Solaris 2.5, Windows NT 3.5 and AIX 4.1.3. Also a bit later Linux was working.

The Firmware from '94 had a very cool GUI with a polished feel..something modern PCs still don't have:

tp850-fw-logo-300x225.png

tp850-ezsup-main-300x225.png

tp850-ezsup-supertest-300x225.png

References: https://tecnopolis.ca/aixtp/tpcapab.htmlnce:

All models out of the box allow for speech navigation and dictation with IBM's UMS software and the included microphone. With navigation you can simulate keystrokes and mouse events with your voice in a fully customizable and programmable environment, all without going through any voice-learning process. It really works, even for people with heavy accents! Dictation allows isolated word-at-a-time speech to be translated into text in supported applications such as a text editor. While not as sophisticated as the more recently available fluent speech to text software widely available, these features were incredible for 1995 and unheard of on notebooks and even Wintel desktops!

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1

This I personally thought was the coolest Powermac. Those who remember the MDD G4 will remember it sounded like a tornado. I went on a bit of a mission to silence mine, it ended up with Verax temp controlled PSU fans and I water cooled the CPU and GPU. I had to get creative on that :)

wcmac7.jpg

wcmac12.jpg

• Like 1