IGNORED

Season 7 ~ Week 5 ~ Frostbite

Vocelli

Wow :? My Skiing run felt good on the original atari/activision PAL hardware, being an aussie. I noticed some of the other scores were already seconds faster. How can then be? So I jumped on Stella, started the PAL version of Skiing and ran the same path I use. Around the same time. Doh :thumbsdown: . I then ran then NTSC version on Stella using my same path, with only a handful of runs. 23.81 :-o Near on 5 seconds faster on the same path. Plus.. I think one of the trees seemed to be in a slightly different horizontal position, causing me to do another tap side-wards.

PAL vs NTSC framerate differences surely can't account for the huge time differences ... can they? Don't forget ... I played an original PAL cart on a PAL Vader and then the PAL rom on Stella with the same-ish times. So its not my hardware. Interesting :? . Food for thought. :)

Definitely time to improve once the brain shuts off ;) Pity its on emulation though :thumbsdown:

#EDIT#. Hold on!!!! (sorry to hijack!). I'm a fan of the atari kwik twitch games like Dragster/Barnstorming/Skiing. Recently at home I equaled the twin galaxies listed record for Skiing, on Game 1, at 32.72. I just realize that I played that on the original PAL cart and my PAL Vader :? So does that mean the PAL cart of Skiing ... runs differently on Game 7??? I need a beer :skull: . Sorry to hijack ... but I thought other PAL players may be affected. Cheers.

If this query looks like it will turn into back and forth banter, I'll move the query out of this thread instantly.

I think Spiggamortis has a point here... I also ran a clean run and still was almost 4 seconds behind the leaders.... Oh well... its just for bonus points.

KaeruYojimbo built up a great database. :thumbsup:

He started a thread here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239007-atari-2600-hsc-online-database/

If you visit his site you can search for games, players, HSC seasons...

I started working on a spreadsheet in one of the former HSC Seasons. It mapped the high score achieved by each player, for each game each week, and did some small calculations like the Average (of all players), the Standard Deviation (STD of each player from the average, the Average STD performance of each player across all games during the season.

I unfortunately got lazy and didnt finish the spreadsheet last season.

For this season, I wanted to get an idea about how much I personally improved on each game. I wanted to see how much practice was necessary to achieve within the STD of all players, the Average, etc. I started recording each play through the game, score achieved, how long each game lasted, etc.. It became too tedious though so I stopped after the second week.

What I really need is a fork of the Stella source that can do all this for me. It should be easy enough to record the starting time of a game, and record the next time the Game Start switch is activated (for game length). Recording the score achieved would require a reference table of the location in RAM for each game where the score was stored.

Now I just need to get the motivation to modify Stella to support the HSC individual player performance tracker form.

• Like 1

I started working on a spreadsheet in one of the former HSC Seasons. It mapped the high score achieved by each player, for each game each week, and did some small calculations like the Average (of all players), the Standard Deviation (STD of each player from the average, the Average STD performance of each player across all games during the season.

I unfortunately got lazy and didnt finish the spreadsheet last season.

For this season, I wanted to get an idea about how much I personally improved on each game. I wanted to see how much practice was necessary to achieve within the STD of all players, the Average, etc. I started recording each play through the game, score achieved, how long each game lasted, etc.. It became too tedious though so I stopped after the second week.

What I really need is a fork of the Stella source that can do all this for me. It should be easy enough to record the starting time of a game, and record the next time the Game Start switch is activated (for game length). Recording the score achieved would require a reference table of the location in RAM for each game where the score was stored.

Now I just need to get the motivation to modify Stella to support the HSC individual player performance tracker form.

Regarding statistics and games, I always have the same type of question: is it more efficient if I continue this game that started poorly (lost time or lives early on) or should I just restart over?

Yeah, there are a lot of problems with my current idea on recording HSC data that I hadnt taken into account. I too reset some times on an early death.

The big questions I think I want answers to are.

How many hours do you need to put into a game to achieve a good score. (For this, it is probably best to look at the Average of the top 5-10 scores over the totality of all HSC seasons. The HSC database would be a nice resource for this)

How much variance is there in a players own scores on a game after achieving an average good score. (I.e. how much does randomness affect getting a good score.)

probably a bunch of other questions that I havent thought of, or dont know how to measure.

Wow :? My Skiing run felt good on the original atari/activision PAL hardware, being an aussie. I noticed some of the other scores were already seconds faster. How can then be? So I jumped on Stella, started the PAL version of Skiing and ran the same path I use. Around the same time. Doh :thumbsdown: . I then ran then NTSC version on Stella using my same path, with only a handful of runs. 23.81 :-o Near on 5 seconds faster on the same path. Plus.. I think one of the trees seemed to be in a slightly different horizontal position, causing me to do another tap side-wards.

PAL vs NTSC framerate differences surely can't account for the huge time differences ... can they? Don't forget ... I played an original PAL cart on a PAL Vader and then the PAL rom on Stella with the same-ish times. So its not my hardware. Interesting :? . Food for thought. :)

Definitely time to improve once the brain shuts off ;) Pity its on emulation though :thumbsdown:

#EDIT#. Hold on!!!! (sorry to hijack!). I'm a fan of the atari kwik twitch games like Dragster/Barnstorming/Skiing. Recently at home I equaled the twin galaxies listed record for Skiing, on Game 1, at 32.72. I just realize that I played that on the original PAL cart and my PAL Vader :? So does that mean the PAL cart of Skiing ... runs differently on Game 7??? I need a beer :skull: . Sorry to hijack ... but I thought other PAL players may be affected. Cheers.

If this query looks like it will turn into back and forth banter, I'll move the query out of this thread instantly.

Activision Skiing is one of the few games I have noticed a big difference between the PAL and NTSC versions.

Being an Aussie also I noticed this some years ago, thats why I always will use the emulator for any Ski run.

The PAL VERSION is much quicker on the slalom runs Games 1 - 5 but a lot slower on the Downhill runs of Games 6 - 10.

• Like 3

Not a fan of this game because you can get screwed by no fault of your own. Like fellow Minnesotan Jin, that's all the Frostbite you'll get outta me.

We can look out the window & see enough ice & snow.

post-1754-0-18838900-1518398654_thumb.jpg

Edited by RJ

Activision Skiing is one of the few games I have noticed a big difference between the PAL and NTSC versions.

Being an Aussie also I noticed this some years ago, thats why I always will use the emulator for any Ski run.

The PAL VERSION is much quicker on the slalom runs Games 1 - 5 but a lot slower on the Downhill runs of Games 6 - 10.

Thanks nads :thumbsup: Interesting. Oh well. It is what it is.

Game on.

Last score run on SKIING.

23.68. That's it for me on this bonus. Played on STELLA, NTSC rom.

post-52250-0-40854600-1518402296_thumb.png

Edited by spriggamortis
  • Like 1