IGNORED

Something random from my collection.

CPUWIZ

I have a theory that the mottling is brought on by touching the labels. The oil from human fingers breaks whatever surface tension there is on the surface of the paper sticker, and the glue slowly seeps through over time.

Ever been a spelunking tourist? In that case you've been subjected to the lecture from the cave guide about not touching the stalagmites. Same idea, kinda.

The glue's age probably makes it chemically separate into it's solvent/solute layers, like a jar of natural peanut butter, just real thin. And the top layer of the glue is probably a really thin mineral spirit that's super mean to ink and paper. Handling the label lets this mean stuff through, like pushing down on cardboard suspended over a wet surface, and wrecks havoc on the ink.

Anyway, that's my theory. Most of the Activision carts that I bought well preserved just a few years ago are starting to mottle. Bummer, because I've taken good care of them I think, but I have definitely handled them a fair bit since I play them.

So yeah, maybe this was discussed in a thread somewhere before? If not then... Maybe I'm on to something fresh? ?

Then again I remember hearing someone say that Activision labels were simply applied with battery acid.

I have a theory that the mottling is brought on by touching the labels. The oil from human fingers breaks whatever surface tension there is on the surface of the paper sticker, and the glue slowly seeps through over time.

Ever been a spelunking tourist? In that case you've been subjected to the lecture from the cave guide about not touching the stalagmites. Same idea, kinda.

The glue's age probably makes it chemically separate into it's solvent/solute layers, like a jar of natural peanut butter, just real thin. And the top layer of the glue is probably a really thin mineral spirit that's super mean to ink and paper. Handling the label lets this mean stuff through, like pushing down on cardboard suspended over a wet surface, and wrecks havoc on the ink.

Anyway, that's my theory. Most of the Activision carts that I bought well preserved just a few years ago are starting to mottle. Bummer, because I've taken good care of them I think, but I have definitely handled them a fair bit since I play them.

So yeah, maybe this was discussed in a thread somewhere before? If not then... Maybe I'm on to something fresh?

Then again I remember hearing someone say that Activision labels were simply applied with battery acid.

Yes it was, it was discovered that they come out of sealed boxes like this. :)

I noticed there's a guy on eBay selling repros of Activision labels in a three part set.

Part of me is tempted (the OCD part), but I'm actually proud of how these carts have made it through history so far. Yeah they are beat up, but that was part of the ride.

So far I feel Battle Scars Proudly Displayed has won out. Still damn that Activision glue.