IGNORED

Cases for the Mini-ITX based Atari 8-Bit Motherboards

mytek

Update: Added rear panel used Michael's rear panel as the cut out, added DVI and two additional DB9s as optional pop-outs at the rear, still sticking with the cartridge at the top aligned directly with the socket at this stage, tweaked the design slightly to accommodate the cartridge slot.

post-61762-0-58732900-1516229728.png

post-61762-0-01434300-1516229740_thumb.png

• Like 5

My suggestion, since there are upcoming Wi-Fi and MIDI projects (and we won't know the fittings until they are done), but if you squeeze the CF next to the DB9, in the future we might be able to better accommodate for those in a panel revision, on the right-hand side. Just in case someone wants to try to cram them in internally , using the internal SIO.

Edited by Standard User

LavaLamp you could also place the CF up front, maybe centered above the Joystick Ports, or even in-between, which would make access very easy and unobstructed (no having to reach around back and fumble for the slot). I have some panels scheduled to show up tomorrow that have the new dual CF cut-outs. If that pans out, I'll post some updated dimensions for both the single and the dual CF card versions which you might find handy for doing your case planning as well.

LavaLamp you could also place the CF up front, maybe centered above the Joystick Ports, or even in-between, which would make access very easy and unobstructed (no having to reach around back and fumble for the slot). I have some panels scheduled to show up tomorrow that have the new dual CF cut-outs. If that pans out, I'll post some updated dimensions for both the single and the dual CF card versions which you might find handy for doing your case planning as well.

O for Awesome Ok. ... thats a NZ reference BTW one of our shining moments on TV ;)

• Like 1

Looks like it has eyes and a mouth now.... :/

post-61762-0-68954200-1516244641_thumb.png

• Like 2

Realan H60 1088XEL Version (60 mm tall - it don't get much more compact than that :) )

Dual (stacked) Sophia boards (RGB and DVI).

post-42561-0-35490200-1516739888_thumb.jpg

Getting ready to connect the Status LED's and the CF-IDE44 adapter.

post-42561-0-91397900-1516493906_thumb.jpg

Dual CF Card Drive.

post-42561-0-59368700-1516692495_thumb.jpg

Revised rear panel mounting system (beats gluing it on).

post-42561-0-23719900-1516493954_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Wow! Those red panels look fantastic! :)

​I'd still personally want a cartridge tunnel if you're going to have top-access for the two CF cards anyway, but in any case, the thing looks incredible.

Bravo!

I only own about 6 carts, and never use them except for my 1200XL. With the CF Card Drives and the SIO2PC, there really isn't a whole lot of reason to use carts anymore (well at least not for me ;) ). And as you know virtually everything that was once manufactured in cartridge format, is now available as an XEX and/or as an ATR.

But with that said, if someone really wanted a cart port on this low profile case it certainly would be possible :) .

everything is awesome save one tiny detail.... the joystick ports are in the back so you need joystick extension cables... :)

standard joystick cables are notoriously short for excited game play!

Got you, but the choice of case pretty much dictates where things can go, and that's limited to the top and the rear panel with these Realan cases.

Luckily my new Hyperkin controllers have a decent length cord, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Michael, if I can ask, what's the ballpark cost for the customized back and top panels for the Realan case?

Here's what the latest panels cost, although this varies depending upon the number of cut-outs text, and graphics you decide to use.

post-42561-0-80695300-1516512183.png

It's not cheap, but it's very high quality and with the color being anodized it's easy to clean being very non-reactive to solvents such as alcohol or even acetone. However it will fingerprint easy, so it's best to stick to brighter colors such as the red I used on this last case project.

• Like 3

Once the files were created can people piggy back on and avoid those set up, start up costs by providing the filename.fpd, job number etc.?

No. Each order is treated as separate, although there are quantity discounts. The way this works is that the file is generated by the customer using the FREE Front Panel Designer software (multi-platform MAC, Linux, Windows). In this app there is a cost button, which gives you a price breakdown vs quantity. All ordering is also done through the app.

I provide the files for my creations as a download on my website, which you would load into the FPD app, make any changes you want, and then order how many panels you want through the app. I suppose you could collect the money from several people interested in the same panel(s), and then place one order to get the quantity discount. However that would become quite the headache to repackage the orders and re-ship them, plus the cost of doing all those individual shipments would probably negate the quantity discount, or certainly dilute it.

• Like 4

Thanks, Michael. A bit more than I had hoped but not as bad I had feared. I'll end up ordering these at some point down the line, I'm sure. The more I look at your photos, the more that red-on-black look is growing on me. But blue would be a bit of subdued color and match the PCB inside ... Hmm. :)

• Like 1

Thanks, Michael. A bit more than I had hoped but not as bad I had feared. I'll end up ordering these at some point down the line, I'm sure. The more I look at your photos, the more that red-on-black look is growing on me. But blue would be a bit of subdued color and match the PCB inside ... Hmm. :)

Yeah I was originally thinking of going blue, but Dropcheck suggested perhaps red would go even better with the black case, and I have to agree the contrast between the two does look real nice. If the main case were clear, then having matching board colors (red for red, blue for blue, ect.) would be a nice touch. But as it stands now, the boards inside can not be seen with everything buttoned up.

I have a few small tweaks I'll be making to the FPD files, just some minor alignment issues, but afterwards I'll post it to my website for download. Keep in mind that this stuff is more for example, and people should feel free to customize it in any way they see fit. Any vector artwork that can be converted to an HPGL plot file can be dropped into the design, and then rescaled for engraving into the aluminum. So the graphics are very customizable.

Update Announcement: I just updated all the Realan Custom Case Files and uploaded them as a single zipped file on my site. But just as a back-up I'll upload it here as well. Every file has been tweaked based on analysis of the results I got on my last anodized red H60 case, so I would suggest that these files be used in place of any of the previous ones. A big change has been made to the way the rear bezel mounts, no longer requiring it to be glued. there is also a readme file that gives some example screw sizes for mounting the panels, but these are based on bulk buys from McMaster-Carr, so it might be better to use the provided specs to purchase a small quantity locally instead. I have given a plethora of different rear panel (bezel) designs, so there should be something that will work for almost everyone. Of course any panel can be further customized in the FPD app, including the color of the panel.

1088XEL_Realan_Custom_Case_Parts_01-21-2018.zip

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Michael asked us to post the altered designs, so here is the one I plan to build after I get build #19 & #20 out of the door! i think the silver case goes very nicely and I also preferred the orientation to match where the on/off button was.

I also have sourced some joystick extension cables, so I do not have to turn the case around!

I put the joysticks on the backplane because I want to add an R: & a P: port to the back. (I am developing a P:R: Connection type device for the 1088XEL).

The last port is for the RGB for VBXE. This way, I will have VBXE, Sophia DVI, and everything necessary to run just about anything the 8-bit can run!

post-16779-0-38263400-1518808175_thumb.jpg

post-16779-0-25467100-1518808204_thumb.jpg

TBABlueH80 Lid&Backplane.zip

• Like 9

I put the joysticks on the backplane because I want to add an R: & a P: port to the back. (I am developing a P:R: Connection type device for the 1088XEL).

Sweet! I wondered what you were up to there! :) If I didn’t already have a working P:R: Connection I’d be very interested in that.

Sweet! I wondered what you were up to there! :) If I didn’t already have a working P:R: Connection I’d be very interested in that.

Yeah, that makes sense. My thought is to reduce the clutter, so EVERYTHING goes in the box! Next project is to build a system with Dropcheck's XF551 internal board & an S-Drive internal and a pop-up dual (NTSC/PAL) monitor.

And, when I haz ALL the free times in the worlds, I am going to think bout how to develop a dual NTSC/PAL build, so you just flip a switch (or thereabouts).

• Like 4

Yeah, that makes sense. My thought is to reduce the clutter, so EVERYTHING goes in the box! Next project is to build a system with Dropcheck's XF551 internal board & an S-Drive internal and a pop-up dual (NTSC/PAL) monitor.

And, when I haz ALL the free times in the worlds, I am going to think bout how to develop a dual NTSC/PAL build, so you just flip a switch (or thereabouts).

I'm working on an case mod for internal SIO2SD in my Realan H80. It's been too cold in my garage, and I've been overwhelmed at work, so this is unfortunately on the back burner.

• Like 1