IGNORED

Tape Games thread

Retrospect

*** Billy Ball Resurrection ***

Billy Ball has promised to meet his girlfriend Beatrice Ball, at the end of the woods in the village of Ballsham.

It's no walk in the park. He faces Snappers, Spiders, Birds, and holes in the ground.

Use Joystick to control. Billy Ball can move left and right, and jump left and right as well as straight up.

This game works in Extended Basic and can be used on a stock console with 16Kb RAM if copied to a real tape.

post-34058-0-65992800-1518666940.gif

BBR.wav

• Like 2

Yeah I remarked about that yesterday to a friend. It's the audio quality they need, I think maybe the data would not survive any compression.

Well, with very few changes (basically just to allow other filename extensions), js99er.net v. 5.12.3 now supports mp3 and ogg files. When generating these compressed files you may have to choose a quality in the high end of the scale to be able to read them in js99er, but the sizes are still considerably smaller.

Not sure if this will have any practical value. For the archive of tape files I would still recommend to stick to wav. If size matters, a binary tape format for emulators would be much more efficient. Instead of storing a bit as 32 samples of 32 bits you could use, well, 1 bit only (a compression factor of 1024).

3DLABY.mp3

• Like 4

Regarding "Billy Ball Resurrection",

Major author apology, it's slow as molasses. I've not used any clever routines for the player movements such as SIN command, it's all literally moving by pixels and there's quite a bit going on in some screens. Maybes I'll fix this with a rewrite at some point. Usually it doesn't matter because I compile games such as these, in fact with a delay put in, it would make a good compiled game.

• Like 2

Not sure if this will have any practical value. For the archive of tape files I would still recommend to stick to wav. If size matters, a binary tape format for emulators would be much more efficient. Instead of storing a bit as 32 samples of 32 bits you could use, well, 1 bit only (a compression factor of 1024).

I haven't tried, but do we get sufficient compression if we just zip the WAV files? Unpacking a zip in memory is pretty well understood, so we could add that level of support?

Zipping is actually *much* more efficient than mp3'ing on the files I have tried.

Color me impressed (mp3s created with lame 3.99 with --vbr-new):

1,788,716 DEMO.wav

334,450 DEMO.aac

386,086 DEMO.mp3

33,135 DEMO.zip

or more relevant

29,190,572 BBR.wav

1,366,255 BBR.aac

1,599,768 BBR.mp3

270,929 BBR.zip

• Like 3

Regarding "Billy Ball Resurrection",

Major author apology, it's slow as molasses. I've not used any clever routines for the player movements such as SIN command, it's all literally moving by pixels and there's quite a bit going on in some screens. Maybes I'll fix this with a rewrite at some point. Usually it doesn't matter because I compile games such as these, in fact with a delay put in, it would make a good compiled game.

Maybe so, but it's gorgeous! I had a quick go tonight!

• Like 2

Hello Guys, i always done conversion in .wav on software published on my website database and used to a wave saved as a Mono, 8 bit, 44.1 KHz WAV File. (RIFF Format) because i used it with the program CS1er and it requested this format.

It is not e real compressed final file but it is not so heavy. think that for a FIAD file with size 40 the final file will be of 6Mb about.

this was a 40 fiad file example:

test.wav

I think that actual this is a nice compromise to use a standard non-compressed format and you can use it will remain compatible with the most of other programs like CS1er and MESS too.

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 2

AdventureLand gives me a bad value in 490 (EDIT: Tested on real iron, classic99 and JS99er - same error.)

Also, Billy Ball at the Hatchery.wav seems to have an error. Doesn't load on real iron, classic99 or JS99'er.

Flooraway the second floor wav file seems corrupt. Won't load on real Iron, JS99er or classic99

Same Colors (Playground) loads on all 3 but crashes when RUN

Stardust loads on all 3, saves to DSK just fine in classic99 and JS99er but locks up my Floppy Disk controller on real iron.

That's about it, I think i saved them all (the working ones on real iron) to a real floppy disk and at least did a RUN to ensure they start with the exceptions above. Some I played, most I have not.

EDIT: Photo Added

post-47352-0-43692400-1518922930_thumb.png

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 3

AdventureLand gives me a bad value in 490 (EDIT: Tested on real iron, classic99 and JS99er - same error.)

Also, Billy Ball at the Hatchery.wav seems to have an error. Doesn't load on real iron, classic99 or JS99'er.

Flooraway the second floor wav file seems corrupt. Won't load on real Iron, JS99er or classic99

Same Colors (Playground) loads on all 3 but crashes when RUN

Stardust loads on all 3, saves to DSK just fine in classic99 and JS99er but locks up my Floppy Disk controller on real iron.

Attached are all the files I had issue with - Cassette.zip

Hi Sinphaltimus

I can tell you straight away what's wrong with the Adventure game, it's written in TI Basic and is using characters of 144 and over, which in normal extended basic is not allowed. This game will actually run properly in RXB because Rich fixed stuff like this.

Also to note; in both Classic99 and JS99er (and a real-iron machine with disk system attached) the game won't run even in TI basic unless you CALL FILES(1) and NEW first before loading it.

Which brings me to mind; there's some strange behaviour with JS99er when you disable the 32K and do a call files(1) and new ... I'll alert Rasmus to it when I find it again so I can tell him properly what's happening. It says error in line whatever, and when you list it, a load of + and 0 chars spill down the screen.

• Like 2

FWIW, I have been very successful in cleaning up tape samples then importing them via Tape994A and to a lesser extent CS1er. I have done so with almost all of my old BASIC programs on tape.

If you have any samples of tapes you cannot get to load in Classic99 or JS99er, let me know and I will give them a whack.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Necro'ing because it was the only duckduckgo hit for "carscarc2".  I tried to convert the sound file at whtech/cassettes to BASIC.  Everything looks good except line 30002 toward the end of file.

30000 SUB BXB  :: CALL INIT  :: CALL LOAD ( 8194 , 37 , 194 , 63 , 240 )
30001 CALL LOAD ( 16368 , 80 , 79 , 67 , 72 , 65 , 82 , 37 , 58 , 80 , 79 , 75 , 69 , 86 , 32 , 37 , 168 )
30002 ] [ \ [ ]$ = "<snipped non-ASCII text garbage>"

30003 FOR J = 1 TO 136  :: CALL LOAD ( 9529 + J , ASC ( SEG$ ( ] [ \ [ ]$ , J , 1 ) ) )  :: NEXT J  :: SUBEND

Both copies of the duplicate records pass the checksum and are identical to each other.  So I think it was written to tape this way.  Some sort of esoteric method of cramming data into a TI-99/4A? 

On 11/11/2022 at 2:00 AM, chris36 said:

I tried to convert the sound file at whtech/cassettes to BASIC. 

The WAV seems to be a 48000Hz 32 bit Floatingpoint mono AIFF. I converted the WAV to unsigned 8bit mono PCM in order to read it with Tape994a ... but get this error, no matter what I try...

image.thumb.png.d2486ca3bea543df2e3867180e2bd8dc.png

I was able to load the file in Classic99 XB 2.9 though ... with the same result you mentioned ..

image.thumb.png.15837efa7df5321835aa688bdfe6d542.png

Other than line 0 and 30000+ this looks like a pure TI BASIC program, not XB. Who would redefine CALL COLOR and CALL CHAR...? I am slightly irritated ... 

Since it actually run I think the string was meant this way. 

CARSCARC2

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveB said:

The WAV seems to be a 48000Hz 32 bit Floatingpoint mono AIFF. I converted the WAV to unsigned 8bit mono PCM in order to read it with Tape994a ... but get this error, no matter what I try...

image.thumb.png.d2486ca3bea543df2e3867180e2bd8dc.png

I was able to load the file in Classic99 XB 2.9 though ... with the same result you mentioned ..

image.thumb.png.15837efa7df5321835aa688bdfe6d542.png

Other than line 0 and 30000+ this looks like a pure TI BASIC program, not XB. Who would redefine CALL COLOR and CALL CHAR...? I am slightly irritated ... 

Since it actually run I think the string was meant this way. 

CARSCARC2 5.13 kB · 1 download

Looking at line 30002, several things pop out. First, ][\[]$ is a valid string name. It is followed by =" which is the standard opening for a string--and at the end of the weird stuff, you have a standard " to close the string. It looks like they were using characters from some of the uncommonly used character sets in this string. It looks like it is actually quite normal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Looking at line 30002, several things pop out. First, ][\[]$ is a valid string name. It is followed by =" which is the standard opening for a string--and at the end of the weird stuff, you have a standard " to close the string. It looks like they were using characters from some of the uncommonly used character sets in this string. It looks like it is actually quite normal.

Sort of what I eventually decided must be happening.  Once I got unstuck from seeing only the non-viewable characters, I realized that the same strange variable name was used in the following line. The program ran fine, so the variable name must have been valid. 

You can delete lines 0 and 30000-30006 and resave it back to disk/cassette to make it a BASIC only program.

The lines are adding assembly support (32K req.) to extend the CALL CHAR and CALL COLOR for the missing character sets that are not found in XB. You can find several BASIC games/programs that were modified in this manner to run from XB.

Edited by Torrax
  • Thanks 2