IGNORED

Flying Shark

Asmusr

• 2 months later...

The first level is now complete - except, perhaps, from some bug fixes.

The biggest change from earlier versions is that you no longer have infinite lives, and that the map has a number of checkpoints for when you lose a life.

I have also re-enabled the mask sprites that clip tanks when they enter the play field from the left. It's still not working 100%, for instance if you shoot a tank while it's entering the map.

Other changes include that power-up sprites "S" now move around, you can get an extra life by shooting one of the waves, "GET READY" and "GAME OVER" are now displayed at appropriate times, and some enemies have been move a bit aound.

I think the difficulty is about right, and you should be able to complete the first level if you try hard a few times, but let me know what you think.

I have seen a few crashes that I cannot reproduce, so I would like some help beta testing this before I move on to program the next level. I'm away from my hardware, so would also be great if someone could test it on the real deal, both on 9918A and F18A.

flying-shark-8.bin

flying-shark.rpk

• Like 8

i think that i am no good at this game, lol- but im getting a little better each time i play it. i'm playing on real-iron TI (no F18A)

I have been able to play up until i start getting power-ups for my plane. it also appears that I will have to swap out my sticks for a proper joystick as well ;)

(edit to add): I haven't seen any strange crashes yet.

Edited by digdugnate

The first level is now complete - except, perhaps, from some bug fixes.

I'll record a game and upload a test video. Due to recording, processing and uploading times it might take a while.

Glad to hear level one is complete Rasmus, that should pose a challenge, something empty levels cannot. Excellent work so far... now to check out the new version!

... so I would like some help beta testing this before I move on to program the next level. I'm away from my hardware, so would also be great if someone could test it on the real deal, both on 9918A and F18A.

... i'm playing on real-iron TI (no F18A)

I'll record a game and upload a test video.

Okay Rasmus, you wanted a couple of tests. Since DigDugNate took care of the 9918 aspect, I decided to run with the other.

Level one is nice with lots of action! It'll be great to see the other levels come together as well.

The first four minutes of this video below are the best, after the four minute mark things are a little slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4WY-1se-R4&feature=youtu.be

• Like 8

Okay Rasmus, you wanted a couple of tests. Since DigDugNate took care of the 9918 aspect, I decided to run with the other.

Level one is nice with lots of action! It'll be great to see the other levels come together as well.

The first four minutes of this video below are the best, after the four minute mark things are a little slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4WY-1se-R4&feature=youtu.be

very nice video!

• Like 1

Thanks for the video. I assume this means you have not experienced any crashes in connection with dying or restarting?

It looks quite easy to play on this video. Perhaps I should at least try to make the boss tank at the end a bit harder?

A bug you can see on this video is that if you shoot a tank while it's in the left border of the play field the debris ends up as a visible sprite in the black border. I think that should be easy enough to fix.

I also need to do something about the transition to the next level, of course. You need to land and get a bonus before moving on to the next level.

• Like 2

Tested tonight this JS99er with Firefox (MacOS): Instead of shooting by bursts as I played before, I tried to play using only one shot per plane ennemie. I have noticed that sometimes, the bullet crossed the plane without dammage it. No problem with the tanks.

Then, I used JS99er with Chrome (MacOS): No problem appears during 15mn of playing. It's surely due to the fact that the emulator works a bit slower on Firefox.

I will do the test with a real TI-99/4A tomorrow.

Edited by fabrice montupet