IGNORED

Can't Properly Download HiassofT's Highspeed SIO Patch

Binarygeek

Hi

I've been trying to download the ATR version of HiassofT's high speed SIO patch that I got off of his website: http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/. When I write it out to an Atari floppy, there isn't anything on it, though some disk space is used. I've tried a few different versions of DOS, but no go. I'd like to use this with a stock 800XL to make an ultraspeed 800XL OS.

Something tells me I'm doing something inherently wrong here, as I haven't had any trouble using the SIO2PC dongle from Atarimax. I'm looking for this file or even this already in an Atari EPROM. If somebody can help me out or pass me the ROM OS file I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks all

Rick

I can't write the ATR files to an Atari disk. When I try to write it out, the directory is empty and I can't read it even after trying numerous DOS programs. Can someone please write this ATR out to a disk and see if you can read it? That would be much appreciated.

Edited by Binarygeek

How are you 'writing it out' ? you haven't specified what software you're using. With a simple SIO2PC setup, you would boot a sector copier on a real Atari (either from a real or emulated Drive 1) and then copy from the emulated drive on SIO2PC to a physical drive.

For example, using AspeQt or RespeQt SIO2PC software on the PC, you can inspect the directory contents of an .ATR file when it's mounted as well, and even drag files in/out.

Edited by Nezgar

Hipatch.atr is not a standard boot disk, might be

be MyPicoDOS by Hias which may need joysticks to

move files off of it? I've never run that DOS so I

know nothing of it.

I can read Hipatch.atr just fine in AtrUtil under

Windows XP and export all files on the disk too.

They appear legit in a hexeditor too. So no problem

with Hias's offering here.

AtrUtil95 1.13

http://atari.kensclassics.org/a8emulators.html

You would need to move these files to a standard

DOS boot disk and then use that to work them as

desired I'm thinking. Not sure where it's going

south for you either.

Is this form of any help?

HIAS.zip

Thanks for the tips, but what I REALLY need is for somebody to PLEASE extract these files and ATR them in a simple (for me) DOS 2.0 readable disk. If anyone can do this for me I would be VERY grateful.

I have been working with this by using a boatload of programs suggested. I found out after quite a bit of time that some of these do not support Steve Tucker's SIO2PC drivers, which further drove me nuts.

I'm a pretty decent 6502 and 68000 assembly language programmer, but I just cannot get this thing to click in my head! The frustration level is incredibly high, and I'm just about to toss my laptop out the window. Followed by my Atari. I'll eventually get this, but for now I'm just packing it in and I'll try again later.

Please, I don't want any tips. I don't want any instruction. I don't want to be pointed to any programs. At a later date but not now. But for now just the ATR.

Thanks for your help and for letting me vent a bit.

Rick

Hmm,

downloaded the ZIP and it contains a standard 90k ATR image; unzipped the ATR and it contains files, but no DOS, so you get a Boot Error when you try to boot it; booted DOS 2.5 and used DOS option "H" to write DOS files onto that ATR image...

So here is HiSIO-Patch by HiasSoft on an ATR with DOS 2.5 and the text manual...

hipatch_DOS25.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

Hmm,

downloaded the ZIP and it contains a standard 90k ATR image; unzipped the ATR and it contains files, but no DOS, so you get a Boot Error when you try to boot it; booted DOS 2.5 and used DOS option "H" to write DOS files onto that ATR image...

So here is HiSIO-Patch by HiasSoft on an ATR with DOS 2.5 and the text manual.

Perfect. Just absolutely perfect. Thank you so much Mr. Chaplin for the ATR. It worked exactly like I expected the first ATR to work. Man, I could feel the tension draining away as I realized, very quickly, that this ATR was a winner!

By the way, I (think) tried the H option as well, and DOS was written. But it had not been formatted, so the first couple of sectors on the disk weren't written and it wouldn't boot. Again, I may be wrong here.

I have shoved this stuff away for a while and will come back soon and try again. Again, thanks.

Regards,

Rick

Edited by Binarygeek

Someone already posted a disk image, but here is one I had laying around with dos 2.0s with the patch renamed to autorun.sys so that will automatically load the patch when the disk is booted. After the patch is loaded you should see the dos 2.0s screen.

Thank you for the file, and I love the autorun aspect. Saves me from typing in the file name. I just can't get the file to work. It runs for a bit and then just locks up.

Rick

Thank you for the file, and I love the autorun aspect. Saves me from typing in the file name. I just can't get the file to work. It runs for a bit and then just locks up.

Rick

Sorry for steering you wrong. I remember that working with my sio2pc and xegs, but since I don't have that hooked up now I can't verify. I tested it via atari800 emulator with 800xl and 800xl os and the driver loads but then the atari crashes after. I changed the name back from autorun.sys to hisio.com and I am able to 'L' it through atari dos 2.0s and it loads and doesn't crash in the emulator. Unfortunately I cannot test with real hardware at the moment, but like I said atari800 emulator is happy with it. Here is the atr. Note that this version is for disk-loading only, if it works and you would like to create a rom, you would need to use hisior.com or hisiork.com. I never did that before, but that's what the README.txt says. I see you packed up the stuff for now(understandable heheh) but hopefully this will work if you are able to give it a shot.

hipatch.atr

Edited by invisible kid