IGNORED

Fireman... Pizzatime... Exclusive interview of Nice Ideas (Patrick Aubry)

scalpel

I just read the robotic translation and it's not too bad, just a little weird. The interview itself is very interesting! I appreciate that M. Aubry took the time to answer the questions so eloquently and with so much detail. I also like the picture of him programming on that ancient computer (which game is on the screen at the far end?).

Do you know if he kept any of his source code for his games? Also, I know he said "it is not possible" to program games again because he has forgotten how, but would you mind inviting him to visit our programming forum? Not only would it be great to to interact with him, but perhaps we can spark his creative side and inspire him to join in with IntyBASIC, which makes it much easier than before. After all, Catsfolly, another veteran of the day, appears to have adopted IntyBASIC at least to experiment and play with. :)

In any case, fantastic interview like always, Pascal! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-dZ.

• Like 2

It sounds like he wasn't aware of Ray Kaestner's doubles Tennis or the original Intellivision Tennis. Champonship Tennis does look like it was written for four players as it asks you to place the third player. And Intellivision Pizzatime and Fireman were working, is that correct?

Looks to me like Patrick is using a DEC terminal to code on a remote computer. Although it might be a DECmate desktop PDP-8 which also came in a VT-100 case. Is that a BlackWhale keyboard component on the shelf behind him which is driving the TV.

Good job on the interview. :)

decle

• Like 2

Thanks a lot DZ-Jay :)

The game on the screnn at the far end is FIREMAN :)

No, he didn't keep the source code... but I have to interview someone else in a few days ;)

Maybe for IntyBASIC, I will ask him.

I just read the robotic translation and it's not too bad, just a little weird. The interview itself is very interesting! I appreciate that M. Aubry took the time to answer the questions so eloquently and with so much detail. I also like the picture of him programming on that ancient computer (which game is on the screen at the far end?).

Do you know if he kept any of his source code for his games? Also, I know he said "it is not possible" to program games again because he has forgotten how, but would you mind inviting him to visit our programming forum? Not only would it be great to to interact with him, but perhaps we can spark his creative side and inspire him to join in with IntyBASIC, which makes it much easier than before. After all, Catsfolly, another veteran of the day, appears to have adopted IntyBASIC at least to experiment and play with. :)

In any case, fantastic interview like always, Pascal! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-dZ.

He says he joined Mattel Electronics in Feb 1983; they became Nice Ideas in April 1984. It says Nice Ideas lasted only one year as they had cash flow problems. Then it mentions how la Stéria offered Patrick a position in Paris. What happened did la Stéria buy Nice Ideas? Did they shut down the Nice Ideas office? If la Steria bought Nice Ideas does that mean Sopra Steria today has the rights to Illusions, Championship Tennis, Fireman and the other Intellivision games from Nice Ideas?

I wonder if they made test cartridges like an Intellivision t-cart. A test cartridge of Colecovision Fireman was found, not sure where.

Just a detail, you show a screen of a game in the far below, it says Fireman Colecovision, but given the resolution of screen, it's Intellivision. There is a Fireman for Intellivision?

Yes, it is the Intellivision version ! He did the Intellivision version first and after, he did the colecovision one.

I changed the text :)

Now, we have to find the Intellivision version... I have some clues...

Edited by scalpel
  • Like 1

He says he joined Mattel Electronics in Feb 1983; they became Nice Ideas in April 1984. It says Nice Ideas lasted only one year as they had cash flow problems. Then it mentions how la Stéria offered Patrick a position in Paris. What happened did la Stéria buy Nice Ideas? Did they shut down the Nice Ideas office? If la Steria bought Nice Ideas does that mean Sopra Steria today has the rights to Illusions, Championship Tennis, Fireman and the other Intellivision games from Nice Ideas?

I wonder if they made test cartridges like an Intellivision t-cart. A test cartridge of Colecovision Fireman was found, not sure where.

Actually, Steria decided to keep the name "Nice ideas", so the guys continued to make games with "Nice ideas" name.

Indeed, it's possible that Steria has the rights for the games. I will ask soon.

If you have other question, don"t hesitate.

Actually, Steria decided to keep the name "Nice ideas", so the guys continued to make games with "Nice ideas" name.

Indeed, it's possible that Steria has the rights for the games. I will ask soon.

If you have other question, don"t hesitate.

I have a stupid question... what's La Steria? In the robotic translation, I saw "the Steria" over and over but didn't know what it was... :o

I have a stupid question... what's La Steria? In the robotic translation, I saw "the Steria" over and over but didn't know what it was... :o

It's not a stupid question at all ^^

It's a software company, a big one ! Here the website : http://www.soprasteria.com/

I will know in a few days if the campany kept the rights of Nice Ideas games...

I'm going to ask some question to the CEO of Nice Ideas... if all of you have some more questions, it could be great. The interview will be done in English this time.

It's not a stupid question at all ^^

It's a software company, a big one ! Here the website : http://www.soprasteria.com/

I will know in a few days if the campany kept the rights of Nice Ideas games...

I'm going to ask some question to the CEO of Nice Ideas... if all of you have some more questions, it could be great. The interview will be done in English this time.

I was wondering how Nice Ideas ended up doing Donkey Kong for the Colecovision.....

• 1 year later...

Looks to me like Patrick is using a DEC terminal to code on a remote computer. Although it might be a DECmate desktop PDP-8 which also came in a VT-100 case. Is that a BlackWhale keyboard component on the shelf behind him which is driving the TV.

Good job on the interview. :)

Further digging suggests it's a C. Itoh CIT101 clone of the VT100.

Compare and contrast Patrick's setup:

post-14113-0-27759900-1520833436_thumb.jpg

A CIT101... Note where the badge is under the left edge of the monitor, the width of the dark-colored stripe that goes up the face and over the top, and the keyboard connection at the far right:

post-14113-0-52167400-1520833446.jpg

An actual VT100, which has a different coloration pattern, and has the badge to the right of the display:

post-14113-0-50958200-1520833577_thumb.jpg

It turns out the CIT101 has some nice features for interfacing to a minicomputer and a Black Whale simultaneously. It has a bidirectional auxiliary serial port that it can bridge to the primary port, and it can switch keyboard/display between aux and primary flexibly.

• Like 7

Further digging suggests it's a C. Itoh CIT101 clone of the VT100.

Compare and contrast Patrick's setup:

attachicon.gifNiceIdeas_1984_programmation_Fireman_Aubry.jpg

A CIT101... Note where the badge is under the left edge of the monitor, the width of the dark-colored stripe that goes up the face and over the top, and the keyboard connection at the far right:

attachicon.gifcit101_front.jpg

An actual VT100, which has a different coloration pattern, and has the badge to the right of the display:

attachicon.gifDEC_VT100_terminal.jpg

It turns out the CIT101 has some nice features for interfacing to a minicomputer and a Black Whale simultaneously. It has a bidirectional auxiliary serial port that it can bridge to the primary port, and it can switch keyboard/display between aux and primary flexibly.

That thing is beautiful. I wish I knew how to make a one-off crt case that had a retro feel

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk