IGNORED

XEL-CF Compact Flash Adapter for 1088XEL (formerly XEL-I3)

mytek

I haven't tested them with the original XEL-CF-][ board, because my new prototype is setup on my only running system and I'm afraid to remove it just yet. However MacRorie should be getting some of these soon, and will likely post some results.

I am in the process of testing them. Initial tests look good, so I will run the complete tests and post results here. Hopefully in the next 48 hours.

• Like 2

I just got a repaired U1MB back from flashjazzcat, so I'll be able to test on my 2nd system tomorrow with the original XEL-CF board. It'll be a parallel effort, which is good to really wring out any issues.

• Like 1

Test results:

All seem to pass. Some minor differences between the two 4G I received, but otherwise all normal. All tests performed on a CF-][.

If the Loader test result states "Nominal" then test was done on an NTSC 1088XEL. If it says "Pass" then test was done on a PAL 1088XEL. Reason being is that since Numen is a PAL file, it will run on an NTSC machine, but all you get is a bordered screen and some very nice music. PAL gets you the full demo. I let it run until a bit past the splash screen (Einstein). Going to bed now.

1088XEL CF tests.pdf

• Like 6

First pre-production XEL-CF3 boards work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just received a batch of boards yesterday from ALLPCB, which got here in an amazing 5 days (not bad for FREE shipping). So I had to wait until this afternoon to get the remaining components needed to build one up (and that was killing me to wait for FedEx to arrive). Anyway everything went smoothly and we had total success on the first boot. You can watch my silly little demo video below (if I said "basically" one more time I think I would shoot myself - following a script when doing these videos is highly recommended).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Raditz6vE

I sent some of these boards to MacRorie so that he can do a comparison test with all of his CF cards, and assuming that goes well it won't be long before these new boards become available to the general public.

• Like 6

Here's a better look at the new XEL-CF3 board based on the new design.
post-42561-0-64178800-1521831883_thumb.jpg
post-42561-0-94961900-1521831891_thumb.jpg

One discovery that has been made thus far during the testing process, is that the 74HCT138 needs to be from a specific manufacturer in order to maintain the appropriate timing to allow the greatest number of CF cards to work. So far I know from experience that a Toshiba part is not going to make the cut. The BOM will be calling for all Texas Instrument devices, which is what can be seen in the photo (with the exception of the 74HCT32 - that National part is all I had on hand). Other than the 74HCT138 device, preliminary tests haven't shown any sensitivity to a particular manufacturer for the 3 other IC chips being used on the board.

--------

Also in my Google searching I've come across a different Dual-CF Adapter than the one I provide a link to on my website. It isn't any cheaper, in fact it's a couple of dollars more, but it does look a bit easier perhaps for mounting in certain situations, and might even be a better build quality. I have a sample coming to see what it's deal is. Always nice to have other options available.

msg-42561-0-62524100-1521784665.png
msg-42561-0-17389600-1521784672.png

AliExpress: PL-ADP-002-05 ($12.99 w/FREE shipping)
eBay: ADP00205 ($13.50 w/FREE shipping)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Would of have saved me some trouble yesterday evening :_( You'd think with me being around computers for 30+ years now, I could determine pin 1 on an IDE connector.

Hoping to do much more testing this weekend. I'll be finishing up two projects that have been eating all my limited free time.

• Like 2

Thanks Stephen for making the time, and don't fret too much over the pin 1 mistake. Remember I'm the U1MB Killer :). Probably should add that to my signature, maybe even do something like they used to do in the war, with tiny images of how many kills I have to date.

post-42561-0-53681300-1523034483.jpgpost-42561-0-53681300-1523034483.jpgpost-42561-0-53681300-1523034483.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

NEW XEL-CF3 Drive PCB Now Available

A new dedicated page on the AtariBits website has been assigned to this latest CF Drive board for the 1088XEL. As per usual, OSHpark BUY buttons have been provided, as well as the Gerber manufacturing files to take it to some other vendor. This new design is fully compatible with any previously used IDE44-CF single or dual adapter board and ribbon cable, and still has the same overall footprint of the previous XEL-CF-][ design.

What's New?

• Better compatibility with more CF cards
  • Overall better read/write reliability
  • Swap button feature added

post-42561-0-84011100-1524085533_thumb.png

https://ataribits.weebly.com/xel-cf-drive.html

• Like 7

Anyone making an order for the XEL-CF3 pcb's?

I'm hoping MacRorie does, and has the rest of the parts. I'd like to build one in a month or two. I suppose I'll have to get the top panel of my Realan case re-made (I don't have the tools these days to drill the existing top for the SWAP button).

Anyone making an order for the XEL-CF3 pcb's?

I am a bit afraid to say this, but it is true: *EVERYONE* may safely assume that if there is a part necessary for the 1088XEL, I have it. Down to the screws, or supports, or heck, even stickers some times.

If you EVER need a part for the 1088, I have it. I cannot guarantee I can give you free postage (I *still* cannot figure out how the big companies do it), but I can charge a flat rate for whatever I can fit in a box. You need it, I have it. Seriously. All you have to do is ask. I will do my damnedest to at least match prices. If I cannot, I will tell you exactly what it costs me and you can make your call.

-M

• Like 4

I should have asked you first, cause I ordered 3 CF3 PCB's from OSH Park 4 hours ago and IC's last week from Digi-key. Will have to compare what I have to what's on the new BOM...

Sorry to hear that. They might cancel it if you ask. I can *definitely* beat OSHPark’s pricing. Heck, I could probably beat it for 3 bare boards and shipping! ;-) ($2 each for the bare board ONLY)

The oshpark buy buttons are provided for convenience only, and can still be a good deal if the board is very small. However I do keep telling people to compare pricing before ordering, and I believe that is mentioned in a few places on my site as well. And of course I am stating it once more in this post, but I do understand that this stuff gets lost in the mist.

Another thing of great importance that needs to be adhered to with the CF3, is that the 74HCT138 address decoder needs to be the Texas Instruments one listed in the BOM. If a substitution is made, there could be reliability issues due to timing discrepancies. And just to insure that all is well, I would stick with the exact components shown for the other chips as well.

• Like 1

Ir's all good, for the 3 XF-3 PCB's it was only $16.95 with free shipping...

Not bad. that's about the same price ALLPCB would have charged, although with them you would've gotten 10 boards. But who needs 10, unless you plan on reselling the remainder.

I suppose I'll have to get the top panel of my Realan case re-made (I don't have the tools these days to drill the existing top for the SWAP button).

Something I did on my Realan H60 case for the swap button and associated LED. The two holes were pre-existing, with the top one being good for the switch, and bottom one needed to be drilled slightly bigger (1/4" dia). I think the Realan H80 also has similar holes on the back side, which would probably be fine, since how often do you actually need to use the swap feature (although the LED placement on the back wouldn't be too good).

msg-42561-0-43483600-1522279969.jpg

Parts list from: All Electronics

SWITCH (PB-159)

LED (LED-2)

LED HOLDER (HLED-4)

• Like 2

Something to keep in mind for the Transcend cards when used with the XEL-CF (either II or III), is that the current video streaming player might not work. Not a biggie, but something to consider if that's one of the intended uses.

Also for movie playback using the XEL-CF Drives you'll need a slightly different player version. Here's one that I use on my PAL 1088XEL: Xmovplay.xex

• Like 1