IGNORED

Joystick #2 only games ... Why?

jrhodes

Not that i am ungrateful for these great games being made in the first place, but i have to wonder why anyone would intentionally make a single player joystick game, and have it set to joystick #2 only... (like the game "Daffy")

Why not joystick #1, would that not make more sense?

• Like 1

I do believe at the time Joystick 1 was also being used by some things like a joystick mouse

and required hardware modifications to the port. I do not think it became popular, but may

have resulted in some games using Joystick 2 instead.

Some 3rd party games defaulted to joystick 2 BITD (some Parker Brothers and Funware titles, IIRC). It didn't matter too much if you were using the TI joysticks, as then both would always be present and you just picked up the other joystick, but it did cause trouble for those who had a joystick adapter that went to a single joystick (or an adapter made for two joysticks but where the user only had one joystick connected to it). Folks have been cursing this programming quirk since 1983 or so, when the first titles to do this showed up on the market. . .

• Like 1

The joystick quandary on the TI is nothing compared to the C64's. Literally don't know what port is going to be used from game to game. Such a clusterfook that way! :mad:

I always thought the "Joystick 2" dilemma was limited to the C64 until I came across several TI games which would not work with my one-port adapter. I was rather disappointed.

It is interesting to see how many home computers did not have dedicated I/O ports for joysticks but instead shared keyboard sense lines with the joysticks.

• Like 1

Not that i am ungrateful for these great games being made in the first place, but i have to wonder why anyone would intentionally make a single player joystick game, and have it set to joystick #2 only... (like the game "Daffy")

Why not joystick #1, would that not make more sense?

Oh! I am surprised to see that some people are still playing this game. I wrote it in 1984 :-)

I tried to remember why I have set the controls to Joystick #2, but too many years have past and I have forgotten the reason. I'm sorry!

• Like 3

If games that use only Joystick #2 can also be played with the right side of the keyboard, I can imagine game writers catering to right-handers.

...lee

As a south-paw I am offended by this blatant oppression by the right-hand privileged.

But, then again, it leaves the left hand free for other things. :-o

• Like 4

I never had so much pain when using joysticks, even the original TI ones, maybe because I always grabbed the lever between thumb and fingers (as if I wanted to hold a pen). Then I had the Competition Pro (if there is eternal life, maybe we can witness it right here) which I am still using for our monthly competition, where I grab the ball on top, but still mainly between thumb and finger.

• Like 1

The only reason I can think why someone would make a game and it end up being Joystick 2 only, was if his Joystick-1 was faulty and only Joystick-2 worked .... so he coded it for Joystick-2 to test it and forgot to alter the values from 2 to 1 when he released it.

Other than that it's a bit strange why anyone would?