IGNORED

STUNT CAR RACER?

Irgendwer

I see Irgendwer hasn't posted in this thread for a while, and frankly, with the way it has been trashed I don't blame him.

What should I write? I don't care about the number of dimensions and if they are "real", need something like a "3D engine" or where the boundary is when code can be called this way.

Technical realization was/is never an indicator for having a fun/playable game. The times where you get attention for a production just by using something "3D" are long gone (knowing that technical aspects in "our" vintage bubble are always weighted differently).

To come back to the topic:

I noticed that the HSC is quite calm, what about providing some good scores there?

Here a trick you can use to enter currently the HoF - even you are a pretty bad player:

The tables of the more difficult tracks are still quite clean, seems very few reached the league for those courses...?

Choosing a multi player game and provide two opponents, you are able to select the league of your choice.

Currently even providing a very bad lap time would lead to a mention on the table... (See my time for the "The Skip Jump" track.)

(That said, providing a race time is still a different thing, as you still have to beat the computer opponent.)

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 7

@Irgendwer

I don't blame you for not caring about the 'what is 3D' stuff, its so far off the topic of the game its now just killed the thread, what counts is despite all this back and forth the game itself is a brilliant conversion and totally respected.

We got your back :)

Wonderful game arrives and some people just want to pick at it when they should be PLAYING it!!!

Paul..

• Like 4

@Paul

I don't think we ruined the thread. as we are not in a flamewar and +256 pages ;)

me will play the game to death at Revision 2018 party in 2 weeks.

I would not say ruined but it started to be picking at the game by some, I just think the subject of 3D or not needs its own thread as its a valid discussion but lumping it into a thread about a game just seems a bit wrong.

Just my opinion, definitely not moaning at folks :)

I would not say ruined but it started to be picking at the game by some, I just think the subject of 3D or not needs its own thread as its a valid discussion but lumping it into a thread about a game just seems a bit wrong.

Just my opinion, definitely not moaning at folks :)

yeah. true. compared to former behaviour on our forums it get very civilized. I think we get older and wiser ;=)

• Like 1

What should I write? I don't care about the number of dimensions and if they are "real", need something like a "3D engine" or where the boundary is when code can be called this way.

Technical realization was/is never an indicator for having a fun/playable game. The times where you get attention for a production just by using something "3D" are long gone (knowing that technical aspects in "our" vintage bubble are always weighted differently).

To come back to the topic:

I noticed that the HSC is quite calm, what about providing some good scores there?

Here a trick you can use to enter currently the HoF - even you are a pretty bad player:

The tables of the more difficult tracks are still quite clean, seems very few reached the league for those courses...?

Choosing a multi player game and provide two opponents, you are able to select the league of your choice.

Currently even providing a very bad lap time would lead to a mention on the table... (See my time for the "The Skip Jump" track.)

(That said, providing a race time is still a different thing, as you still have to beat the computer opponent.)

Not knocking the game at all, as I think it's an issue with Xbios, but I have never been able to use the save and load features or high-score stuff (getting the code to use for the HSC) since I first tried, and I've tried lots of different things. I would be on the HSC otherwise. I've been slated to do a review for the next issue of Excel, but at this point I will have to note the fact that I can't get any of that stuff to work, it always says it can't open saves.dat file. Apparently I seem to be the only one with this issue, since no one else has brought it up, and help by others was no good for me. Of course other than that it will get a shining review.

Edited by Gunstar

Not knocking the game at all, as I think it's an issue with Xbios, but I have never been able to use the save and load features or high-score stuff (getting the code to use for the HSC) since I first tried, and I've tried lots of different things. I would be on the HSC otherwise. I've been slated to do a review for the next issue of Excel, but at this point I will have to note the fact that I can't get any of that stuff to work, it always says it can't open saves.dat file. Apparently I seem to be the only one with this issue, since no one else has brought it up, and help by others was no good for me. Of course other than that it will get a shining review.

I've discovered that it may just be an issue with using my Happy 1050, even if in "unhappy" mode, as I just loaded the original ATR image with APE and it does let me load and save that way. I only loaded the game once that way to try it out, and immediately wrote a floppy from the ATR image, a couple in fact, one in high-speed and one at normal speed. And neither one of them will save/load game data.

So, everything is probably down to my Happy 1050 drive. Maybe mine alone, or maybe all Happy 1050's? Can anyone verify this for me? XXL has contacted me via PM as is attempting to help me, but at least I can use APE and the ATR in the mean-time.

I wish I'd thought of checking that sooner, it just didn't occur to me until XXL asked me for a detailed description of my computer and external devices.

• Like 1

but I have never been able to use the save and load features or high-score stuff (getting the code to use for the HSC) since I first tried

Even if xBIOS doesn't work for you, getting a link to send a score to the HSC should work anyway. Just when you have a new lap or race record (they are unset right from the start) these should be displayed in the "Hall of Fame" - involving no load, save etc. Now press '1'-'8' (from top to bottom) for a lap or [OPTION]+'1'-'8' for a race time displayed on the "Hall of Fame"-screen. If there is a time shown (not empty), this leads now to the creation of an QR-code which you can decode and submit to your HSC account.

XXL has contacted me via PM as is attempting to help me, but at least I can use APE and the ATR in the mean-time.

Good to know that help is on the way / you have an alternative scenario.

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 1

>The only aspect that would require slight improvement is engine sound, which unfortunately LACKS DYNAMIC a bit.

Fandal and I had many discussions about the engine sound. He don't liked to have the standard "Road Race", "E-Type", "Pole Position" etc. one, which I find understandable. I came up with different mixtures and he also experimented quite a lot so the selection procedure was a very tedious task and wasn't easy given technical constraints. IMHO the result is not only unusual but also convincing.

Hmm, Road Race engine sound would be pretty good I think, since Amiga version's engine sounds pretty much Road Raceish and it's best version available ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work guys, thank you :thumbsup:

After a few goes I am wondering what you need to do to improve apart from not fall off! I've found the c64 Stunt Car Racer instructions - do we need to use keys as well as joystick e.g. for boost?

[EDIT] - Ok you hold fire for the boost now I've manged to win a round or two. I did muscle past him on the inside of a corner and was expecting him to hit me? Not sure if he does this!

post-19705-0-37742700-1523995550.jpg

Really nice clean font

• Like 1

Yeah, but your changes have been quickly withdrawn by another user?

Because wikipedia sucks. The delete-or dominates edits for the past two years on this tiny page and probably thinks it is their own private empire. I just now put the edit back up simply to make them frustrated. We should all take turns at this.

Edited by kenjennings
  • Like 8