IGNORED

Flying Shark

Asmusr

Yeah, the SAMS card has the memory for it, but the disk drives don't have the space!

What is making up the bulk of the 512K? Do you store your maps as straight raw bitmap data, or use some kind of common pattern storage? I would imagine you must be doing something like the latter to get the trees to all have moving leaves...

Yes, each of the 8 scroll frames has it's own ROM bank, plus 2 for the map, plus 1 for the music. That's 11 banks x 4 levels = 44 ROM banks. In addition to that I use banks for the program and the bitmap screens.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 4

I've been practicing this game, and have found some things:

1. A need for a pause button

2. With the 2 or 3 shot upgrade, it is possible to fill the screen with bullets, which can prevent spawning enemies, including the boss. I would expect that enemies would take priority and recycle bullet slots. Missing enemies leads to missed bonus items (but that could be considered my own fault for abusing bullets to prevent spawning)

While studying the source code, I am curious about the ea5tocart jar file - I did not see any mention of it here on atariage. Also I can not seem to activate the Eegg - attempting to type at the title screen immediately causes the flying shark to start in keyboard mode. Was that not included in the version 1.0 you posted?

Pause buttons are for weenies! ;) You have to play this game for six hours straight... using the original TI joysticks to be considered a man in these parts! :lolblue:

--- Actually I agree with you on the pause button! :thumbsup: One never knows when a 'honey do' will come calling, or a bladder call.

I've actually tried using the load interrupt on my PS/2 keyboard once, but it just locked up the game, and I don't have the switch mod installed.

2. With the 2 or 3 shot upgrade, it is possible to fill the screen with bullets, which can prevent spawning enemies, including the boss. I would expect that enemies would take priority and recycle bullet slots. Missing enemies leads to missed bonus items (but that could be considered my own fault for abusing bullets to prevent spawning)

While studying the source code, I am curious about the ea5tocart jar file - I did not see any mention of it here on atariage. Also I can not seem to activate the Eegg - attempting to type at the title screen immediately causes the flying shark to start in keyboard mode. Was that not included in the version 1.0 you posted?

Thanks for the feedback. I have also thought about a pause button. I might still add that.

I did try to put a limit on the bullets in the latest version, but I might need to lower it further. Is there any place in particular where you see this issue?

ea5tocart is my tool for converting EA5 files to carts. The Eegg is for the cart version. I think you should get something extra when you buy a cart.

What is your opinion about the difficulty? Does anything seem impossible? I would be silly to have spent so much time writing the game if nobody can reach level 3.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 1

I did try to put a limit on the bullets in the latest version, but I might need to lower it further. Is there any place in particular where you see this issue?

Seems like anywhere. Most noticeable was the boss, since I was firing rapidly in anticipation, but he didn't appear.

ea5tocart is my tool for converting EA5 files to carts. The Eegg is for the cart version. I think you should get something extra when you buy a cart.

:thumbsup:

What is your opinion about the difficulty? Does anything seem impossible? I would be silly to have spent so much time writing the game if nobody can reach level 3.

I've reached level 3 a couple times, but things quickly go downhill once there. I can't say if it's too hard or I just need more practice there, because it takes quite a while to get there again from the start. I know you mentioned a way to jump to later levels, but I feel it would be unfair to others without that advantage. Please wait until after Saturday's competition at FestWest, then PM me the level skip code, and I'll do some more "testing" on the later levels.

Edit: Another thing I remembered, not a bug - a hardware limitation, if you are sitting in the same row as the large white plane, the bullet he shoots directly at you won't be visible due to the 4 sprites per line limitation. I don't know if you could implement sprite rotation, or if it would be too costly in performance. In the end, just need to remember not to sit to the sides of the white planes.

Edited by PeteE
  • Like 1

;) Well, now that you ask...

It may be that I'm just a lousy player, but since the final release, I've NEVER made it to level three, and believe me, I've been trying.

• Like 1

so if f18a,

use the f18a register scroll bg is just for looks

do all tile collision detection on a 2nd hidden tilename screen which is basically black & white tiles. white is walkable black is not. only 2 tiles type to check

f18a has optional 2nd tile layer for going under the bridge or behind rocks

sprites don't need to flicker.

now you would still have to make a simplified coleco version too.

;) Well, now that you ask...

It may be that I'm just a lousy player, but since the final release, I've NEVER made it to level three, and believe me, I've been trying.

So is there anywhere particular that you get killed?

Maps are here for reference:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268548-flying-shark/page-1?do=findComment&comment=3822013

so if f18a,

use the f18a register scroll bg is just for looks

do all tile collision detection on a 2nd hidden tilename screen which is basically black & white tiles. white is walkable black is not. only 2 tiles type to check

f18a has optional 2nd tile layer for going under the bridge or behind rocks

sprites don't need to flicker.

now you would still have to make a simplified coleco version too.

Was that about Flying Shark or Commando?

Edit: Another thing I remembered, not a bug - a hardware limitation, if you are sitting in the same row as the large white plane, the bullet he shoots directly at you won't be visible due to the 4 sprites per line limitation. I don't know if you could implement sprite rotation, or if it would be too costly in performance. In the end, just need to remember not to sit to the sides of the white planes.

I'm already using sprite rotation, but it's a little more complicated than what I have usually done.

I have a list of sprite structures in CPU RAM. Each sprite can consist of multiple ( 1-8 ) hardware sprites. The data structures for the hardware sprites are also stored in CPU RAM. I support up to 48 hardware sprites even though the hardware can only show 32.

I assign priorities to hardware sprites between 0 and 2. 0 is the highest priority and is used for the player's plane and the mask sprites that mask tank etc. when they enter from the left. Priority 1 is used for the front sprites of enemies plus bullets, and priority 2 is for backdrops and shadows.

When I update the sprite attribute list in VDP RAM I first add priority 0 sprites, then priority 1 sprites and finally priority 2 sprites. Within each priority I alternate between adding sprites forwards and backwards. This is what creates the sprite rotation, but a priority 0 sprite like the player's plane will always have higher priority than any enemy.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 3

I'm already using sprite rotation, but it's a little more complicated than what I have usually done.

I have a list of sprite structures in CPU RAM. Each sprite can consist of multiple ( 1-8 ) hardware sprites. The data structures for the hardware sprites are also stored in CPU RAM. I support up to 48 hardware sprites even though the hardware can only show 32.

I assign priorities to hardware sprites between 0 and 2. 0 is the highest priority and is used for the player's plane and the mask sprites that mask tank etc. when they enter from the left. Priority 1 is used for the front sprites of enemies plus bullets, and priority 2 is for backdrops and shadows.

When I update the sprite attribute list in VDP RAM I first add priority 0 sprites, then priority 1 sprites and finally priority 2 sprites. Within each priority I alternate between adding sprites forwards and backwards. This is what creates the sprite rotation, but a priority 0 sprite like the player's plane will always have higher priority than any enemy.

That is really clever, and a great way to make the most of the limited sprites. I recorded a video of myself playing yesterday, and can confirm that the bullet does appear and flickers between the planes. I must have not been watching closely enough before.

Thanks for an awesome game. We had a lot of fun competing for a high score at Fest West 2018. I almost made it to level 3, and then for some reason it didn't put my score in the high score list, but later players showed up just fine.

• Like 1

... for some reason it didn't put my score in the high score list, but later players showed up just fine.

Damn, I have used signed comparison of unsigned numbers. This means your score won't be registered if it's between 32768 and 65535. Look out for version 1.2.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 4

Damn, I have used signed comparison of unsigned numbers. This means your score won't be registered if it's between 32768 and 65535. Look out for version 1.2.

PeteE's lack of evidence, and this explanation are proof that he won the competition. As the rest of us didn't get close to the sign bit. icon_smile.gif

-M@

• Like 1

Hey Guys ! how you arriving at Game Over with all Bombs present ? ;p

anyway it is the Label decided with Rasmus for this masterpiece game

hope you like :)

Very nice! When I printed the label for VCF the background shark-plane image is really dark and difficult to distinguish. Is it possible to lighten that layer a little bit?

thanks :), the light of the background really depends from the kind of the printer and how that manage the colors i noted too differences using different printers.
of course i can manage for a lighten version for the background this evening when i'll back to home ;)

• 4 months later...