IGNORED

ECS!

Tempest

Other cartridges/roms with a similar memory map are Championship Tennis, King of the Mountain, Space Shuttle; all from Mattel Electronics around 1983/84.

So none of those will work with the ECS attached either? Interesting. Guess I'll have to keep it unplugged for now. Thanks for confirming.

It is weird that they have a similar memory mapping.

There was a gentleman on the forums the other year who used ECS as his main programming environment, even teaching his daughter programming in that way. While it was a noble cause, some of us tried to find alternative solutions for a bit more modern and accessible programming environment even for someone on a tight budget and who couldn't afford a shiny new PC without selling off the valued ECS expansion.

Choplifter conflicts with ECS rom. It's unusual for an INTV cartridge and questions the prototype's origin. Other cartridges/roms with a similar memory map are Championship Tennis, King of the Mountain, Space Shuttle; all from Mattel Electronics around 1983/84.

According to this list there is a variation of the Choplifter prototype. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SE-URZLioX19FIbmX200VBaKcCyuv-NCPKt56Hf37Fk/htmlview

Has anyone seen the other variation, it might work through an ECS computer adapter. The only choplifter I've seen says mattel electronics on the titlescreen, and commonly found on the internet. The other one might be the original prototype.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Given the ECS interest I wanted to draw your attention to my latest project, which happens to be ECS based. IMDI is a MIDI interface for the Intellivision / ECS. You can see a sneek peek of the prototype over in the programming forum.

I also have a rather cool copy of a Personal Computer News from December 1983, which contains a review of the ECS, it even made the front cover!

PDF: pcn.pdf

post-46336-0-91581900-1525627126_thumb.jpeg

post-46336-0-16823200-1525627137_thumb.jpeg

post-46336-0-92421000-1525627153_thumb.jpeg

post-46336-0-27034900-1525627169_thumb.jpeg

post-46336-0-26766200-1525627176_thumb.jpeg

In the same issue came news of the price cutting that announced the begginng of the end:

post-46336-0-13831100-1525627183_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

decle

• Like 11

I just read the review... Ouch! Honestly, that roasting is well deserved.

My 11 year-old mind perhaps could not articulate it as eloquently, but I felt the same way on all points when I got mine back in the day: Insufficient memory; freakily weird BASIC-ish dialect; strange keyboard arrangement; bizarre inclusion of errata almost as big as original documentation (yeah, my Father and I wondered about that -- he went line by line through the manual with a pen adding and correcting sections taken from the errata, and we ended up with an ugly frankenmanual!); awesome idea to interface with video and sound features, but crappy implementation; overall, not good enough for someone who wants to learn to program a computer (which was me!). Very disappointing.

In the end, my Father sold it to a neighbor for his 4 year-old daughter less than a year after we got it, and replaced it with a Commodore 64. Now, that was a microcomputer. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

Slightly OT

Some tiny programs for the ECS have been published years ago on the Italian magazine "Videogiochi" (September 1986) and I thought some of you guys might be interested, even if only for historical interest

The programs are "Indovina il numero" (= "Guess the number"), "Esercizi sulle 4 operazioni" (= "Exercises on 4 operations"), "Totocalcio" (= "Soccer pools"), "Esercizio" (= "Exercise" :? ) and "Gioco dei dadi" (= "Dice game")

post-41160-0-16956600-1525701997_thumb.jpgpost-41160-0-57790700-1525702013_thumb.jpgpost-41160-0-91707000-1525702026_thumb.jpg

Even though the five tiny programs are in Italian I guess that they can be easily converted into English by changing some of the statements. If you need help to translate them, just ask

FUN FACT

the article is intitled "Viva il Lucky" (= "Hooray for Lucky"): for some reason they used the very first name of the ECS project

• Like 7

Hey Guys,

Given the ECS interest I wanted to draw your attention to my latest project, which happens to be ECS based. IMDI is a MIDI interface for the Intellivision / ECS. You can see a sneek peek of the prototype over in the programming forum.

Cheers

decle

Just watched the video and it's absolutely amazing!

I thought that the ECS and music keyboard came out for the Intv II first with the "modern" white-red theme, and were then released afterwards in the original brown and gold. So... Did the ECS come out brown first?

Hey Guys,

I also have a rather cool copy of a Personal Computer News from December 1983, which contains a review of the ECS, it even made the front cover!

PDF: attachicon.gifpcn.pdf

attachicon.gifpcn1.jpeg

attachicon.gifpcn2.jpeg

attachicon.gifpcn3.jpeg

attachicon.gifpcn4.jpeg

attachicon.gifpcn5.jpeg

In the same issue came news of the price cutting that announced the begginng of the end:

attachicon.gifpcn6.jpeg

Cheers

decle

I thought that the ECS and music keyboard came out for the Intv II first with the "modern" white-red theme, and were then released afterwards in the original brown and gold. So... Did the ECS come out brown first?

White in North America, Brown in Europe. I assume it was released first in North America; although I never saw one where I was and thought it was never released.

...I dont own WCMLB and that one doesnt work with the CC3 (well not with voice anyway).

Not true. I have a patched ROM of WSMLB (Joe is likely the one who patched it?) that plays perfectly on the ECS / Cuttle Cart 3 with Intellivoice support.

Edited by nurmix

There's also Carl Mueller Jr's graphics and sound demo (lot's of cool music ported over from other systems), and some neat options to alter the sounds channels, etc. I've used just about everything in this demo (audio-wise) in the podcast episodes. I don't know if Carl has made that publicly available though.

And there's the one-off custom "game" that Dave Akers made for us [the podcast] to use at Classic Gaming Expo 2014, for our live "IQ" (Intellivision Quotient) game, where four people had a controller and they would "buzz in" to answer questions - the first one to buzz in was indicated onscreen.

And I'm all for added ECS support in games, the way Joe did it with Space Patrol. But I'm also for more ECS exclusive games that utilize all 6 sound channels, and with 4 controller support and perhaps support for my Dual Action Controllers (but talk about a small niche market!)

;-)

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 4

There's also Carl Mueller Jr's graphics and sound demo (lot's of cool music ported over from other systems), and some neat options to alter the sounds channels, etc. I've used just about everything in this demo (audio-wise) in the podcast episodes. I don't know if Carl has made that publicly available though.

And there's the one-off custom "game" that Dave Akers made for us [the podcast] to use at Classic Gaming Expo 2014, for our live "IQ" (Intellivision Quotient) game, where four people had a controller and they would "buzz in" to answer questions - the first one to buzz in was indicated onscreen.

And I'm all for added ECS support in games, the way Joe did it with Space Patrol. But I'm also for more ECS exclusive games that utilize all 6 sound channels, and with 4 controller support and perhaps support for my Dual Action Controllers (but talk about a small niche market!)

;-)

Cool thanks for sharing that nurmix ??

In my opinion I think we would all be surprised how ECS market would be supported and the actual amount of the community who own an ECS.

I would love to see ECS exclusive games.

• Like 2