IGNORED

Currently in Omega's Den: 30 year old dream *FINALLY REALIZED* (Updated)

Omega-TI

Okay, this is sitting next to an original TI Extended BASIC cartridge. The color is a little off and I think I'll going to go back to BOLD for my last and final version.

Don't pay the lousy cutting job any attention, I just used scissors to see how it would fit, my final one will be cut out properly and look 'presentable'.

post-35324-0-23678500-1526526020_thumb.jpg

Okay, I'm officially done mucking around with this label.

This FINAL version is PERFECT. The color matches, and the white text is fully legible (I'm using HP premium glossy presentation paper).

Your original image's aspect ratio is a tad off, so I had to compress it a smidge width-wise in the printing process, but I'm totally satisfied. Now all I need is the 1284P to arrive in the mail to put this project to bed.

post-35324-0-14199700-1526527573.png

• Like 2

Looks really good.

What fonts are those?

All various sizes of "Arial"

IIRC: "COMMAND MODULE" was 20 pt all caps, not bold.

" TM" was 10 pt. and the only item not in italics.

"Disk Operating System" was 45 pt. in BOLD.

"Powered By: Tursi Technology" was 16pt. in bold.

Hey, no problem. I had the day off today and had plenty of time this evening to dork around. It was kinda fun getting ready for the final piece of the puzzle.

Were you planning on making an autostarting cart too? If so, I'll need to upload the GROM portion for the 1284P.

Eventually I have some plans to get a RAMDisk and run MENU/Funnelweb. In the interim, it would be interesting to try out a DOS cartridge. Don't know how much use I will get out of it, but it would be interesting to try it out.

I imagine you'll make a video of the cartridge in action?

I'll try to make a video of this in action by the end of Wednesday, but damn, it's FAST!

gallery_35324_1027_29469.jpg

So far it exceeds my dreams! No more color bar screen and no more selection screen to repeatedly slog through when exiting a program. It's just there! Once I get the BATCH file written I'll be ready to rock! My TIPI enjoyment factor has multiplied by at least a factor of 2.

Tursi, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• Like 5

I ran into a slight glitch that I was able to correct, but it had me scratching my head for a couple of minutes.

The problem : This cartridge is so fast, that it gets in the way of the TIPI startup/reset routine!

What happens : On a long "AUTO-BAT" file, it starts processing before TIPI can get it's "BEEPS OFF",

so it starts making a noise that will not quit.

The Solution : Making a small "AUTO-BAT" file that slows things down by a fraction of a second.

Configuration: "AUTO-BAT" now loads "MENU-BAT" which gives you your online selections or other

resident programs like "TIPICFG". There is even a selection to drop to the

"DOS PROMPT"

Once you make your cartridge for the UberGROM, put these three files on your "DSK1."

For TIPI users, be sure to MAP your "DSK1." to the appropriate directory.

I named mine "DOS"... original huh?

For those of you NOT using an auto-loading UberGROM, you can dispense with the AUTO-BAT program and rename MENU-BAT to AUTO-BAT and go from there.

The photo below is a screen shot of my current "MAIN MENU". As soon as I hit RESET, I'm back here. Over time I'll probably link sub menus off of this one, but for now I wanted all my regularly used TIPI programs instantly available.

gallery_35324_1027_69096.jpg

Omega's BATCH FILES.zip

• Like 2

For reference, the GROM image included in there just searches for and boots any ROM cartridge named 'PROGRAM'. The tweaks I made to 4ADOS just include a PROGRAM menu entry, and a check in GROM for the CHARA1 data so it doesn't need a disk file for that.

Glad it's working for you Ω :)

• Like 1

I like the way it will load anything off the 49F040 named "PROGRAM". With this UberGROM anyone could make *MOST* anything into an auto loading cartridge, and with minimal effort. I wonder if this will end up selling more UberGROMS or 1284P's? icon_wink.gif At any rate if someone decides to update or improve the DOS environment for the TI in the future, it'll be a super easy to upgrade.

Oh Tursi, I REALLY like that CHARA1 file you included. It looks awesome in 80 columns. Again, thanks!

I like the way it will load anything off the 49F040 named "PROGRAM". With this UberGROM anyone could make *MOST* anything into an auto loading cartridge, and with minimal effort. I wonder if this will end up selling more UberGROMS or 1284P's? icon_wink.gif At any rate if someone decides to update or improve the DOS environment for the TI in the future, it'll be a super easy to upgrade.

Oh Tursi, I REALLY like that CHARA1 file you included. It looks awesome in 80 columns. Again, thanks!

Is that not the same one you have? I've got a few scattered among my disks and I always assumed they were all the same. ;)

About the beep - what if I gave you another patch to 4ADOS that turns off the sound generators at startup? Would that fix it without the extra bat file?

• Like 1

Is that not the same one you have? I've got a few scattered among my disks and I always assumed they were all the same. ;)

About the beep - what if I gave you another patch to 4ADOS that turns off the sound generators at startup? Would that fix it without the extra bat file?

You know, I'm happy as a bug in a rug right now and am happy with the way it works, buf if you don't mind doing it, I'll be more than happy to burn a new image. Besides, if I open it up, I'll also want to try an experiment with the Flying Shark image renamed to PROGRAM. I just might end up buying another 1284P from you. I've always thought individual game cartridges should jump straight into the program.

I was just thinking how Sysops of TI BBSes BITD would have loved an auto starting XB cartridge.

Very true. With the Geneve (and perhaps GRAM Kracker, HSGPL, etc) this has always been an option. In fact, Heatwave BBS runs from an auto-start XB cartridge image. If the system reboots, the Geneve will load the OS, then the TI ROM (GPL interpreter), the XB cartridge, and auto-start without any intervention. Works great :)

• Like 1

This cartridge is working out GREAT with my TIPI! I can load up Chatti to check messages, instantly switch to Chess in a minimal amout of time and then when done, load up the Telnet program to check the BBS.

I'll be making a 'quick and dirty' video for my blog today later this evening (as time allows). I'm really impressed with the ease of use, as it actually encourages me to check in more often.

• Like 2

I was just thinking how Sysops of TI BBSes BITD would have loved an auto starting XB cartridge.

Back in the day I used a custom 'BOOT' program on my RAMDisk to provide autostart for my BBS. It was definitely a must-have.

• Like 2