IGNORED

Nebulus/Tower Toppler game

Asmusr

Kinetosis...

Interestingly, VR headsets now use a kind of tunnel vision when you sweep around ("comfort mode"); the peripheral areas are just gray. Otherwise, your vision system has nothing to cling to, and you start swaying and start feeling dizzy. (I've got a HTC Vive.)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done a lot of work on this, but I did add some doors/openings. I also changed the graphics to look more like bricks.

So far it's very simple: a door is added by choosing the right row from a map like this, and copying it to the VDP:

post-35226-0-75214800-1526150616.png

There is another map for odd rows, and another map for rows without doors. With this technique each row can have only one door.

Pre-defining maps with more than one door would take up too much memory, so additional doors will have to be added on the fly together with platforms, etc. So instead of copying directly to the VDP I have to copy the row to a buffer first where additional objects are added. That's the next step.

tower.dsk

tower8.bin

• Like 8

I see about 60 angles in your plot that make the right edge of a door visible from the leftmost to the rightmost side of the tower.

The same holds for its middle black tiles and the left edge. A door slice is 4 tiles.

The door could be coded by a matrix 4x60.

Each row is a tile, each column an angle.

Edited by artrag

post-35226-0-56448500-1526891902.png

This version has platforms, and both platforms and door are drawn programmatically, i.e. without relying on a pre-calculated data. The speed is OK for this demo, but if all platforms were the same width it would be possible to pre-calculate how a platform looks at all angles, which would result in much faster drawing. The 3D look of a platform when it rotates around the edge of the tower could also be improved with this approach.

tower.dsk

tower8.bin

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 9

Just a thought here. Is it possible to define a door as a sprite, and you just redefine the sprite for the 3-D effect as you near the edge?

The sprite tracks with the movement/rotation?

Just a thought.

The idea is to save the sprites for the player, monsters, and moving platforms.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm so sad! This demo is a pure jewel. I would have been so happy to see a game using this code.

With it, you could make a different game than Nebulus/Tower Toppler. For example, an infinite tower where the player has to go as higher he can to reach something or someone, avoiding obstacles or nasty beasts. I would love to see a sort of Donkey-Kong alike game where steel beams are replaced with this tower.

• Like 1